• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball - '23-24 Schedule Thread

NJIT moved up to D1 in 2006-7.

That season, NJIT went 5-24. their last win of that year was February 19, 2007 over Longwood. NJIT then lost their last 4 games in 2007. They lost every game in 2008 (0-29), and the lost their first 18 games in 2009 before beating Bryant on January 21, 2009. So, NJIT lost 51 straight basketball games from February 19, 2007 until January 21, 2009, which was and still is the longest losing streak in D1 hoops. Since NJIT was still reclassifying to D1, that 51 game streak is not considered the longest of any D1 team ever (Sacramento State's 34 game loss streak from 1997 to 1999 is considered the longest).

Perhaps, NJIT is not the best opponent to build your NCAAT resume.

NJIT moved up to D1 in 2006-7.

That season, NJIT went 5-24. their last win of that year was February 19, 2007 over Longwood. NJIT then lost their last 4 games in 2007. They lost every game in 2008 (0-29), and the lost their first 18 games in 2009 before beating Bryant on January 21, 2009. So, NJIT lost 51 straight basketball games from February 19, 2007 until January 21, 2009, which was and still is the longest losing streak in D1 hoops. Since NJIT was still reclassifying to D1, that 51 game streak is not considered the longest of any D1 team ever (Sacramento State's 34 game loss streak from 1997 to 1999 is considered the longest).

Perhaps, NJIT is not the best opponent to build your NCAAT resume.
Thank you for validating my aging brain

My brother in law was Cal Tech's head coach when they broke their 200+ game losing streak in 2007. There is a documentary about that team called Quantum Hoops. I see it for $4 streaming on Amazon.

I remember NJIT for upsetting Michigan one year.

My brother in law was Cal Tech's head coach when they broke their 200+ game losing streak in 2007. There is a documentary about that team called Quantum Hoops. I see it for $4 streaming on Amazon.

I remember NJIT for upsetting Michigan one year.

Oliver Eslinger? So I must ask - how good was the wine?

from the article I linked:

Not long after, Caltech hired a new coach, a former MIT assistant named Oliver Eslinger. Like Popovich, he recruited. He began a newsletter. He believed he could not only win one game but make the Beavers competitive in the SCIAC. He kept a diary, full of scribbled plays and ideas. Networked with coaches across the country. And, in 2011, watched as his team broke a 310-game conference losing streak.

Not long after, a case of pinot noir arrived, with a note of congratulations in neat cursive.

It read: “As a former loser to Caltech, I wish you more wins. Gregg Popovich.”

No, it was the next coach who broke the conference losing streak. I think my brother in law came close to a few conference wins, but never got one. I think one OT loss. I saw them play a couple games and they were Wake intramural B league level.

No, it was the next coach who broke the conference losing streak. I think my brother in law came close to a few conference wins, but never got one. I think one OT loss. I saw them play a couple games and they were Wake intramural B league level.

too bad - a note from Gregg Popovich and a case of wine would be pretty sweet.

On twitter it seems like everyday a matchup is announced. Wisconsin/Tennessee was the most recent. Arizona is playing Michigan St and Duke. West Virginia just announced their entire non-con schedule after picking up a game versus Ohio St. I'm sure they try, but in this Quad Era I'd like to think Power 6 teams are all trying to play each other to gain opportunities.

So apparently Ole Miss looked at the Cayman Classic lineup and decided they could literally do better on their own.

I'm interested in tracking who they end up getting compared with the field in George Town GC.

There are reasons for WF to go to Grand Cayman (chemistry/etc and notably, a chance for Bobi/Cam/Marsh/MMM to earn NIL $) but I'm still interested to see the difference in the quality of the fields.

Just clicking through KP schedules, pretty much everyone that was a tourney team from a power conference had a couple 300+ games. Totally normal and that is certainly not what is preventing us from making it.
Yep and what prevents us from making it is losing to bottom feeders with big names, like LSU & UGa. Getting drilled at Rutgers. Losing a huge lead to Loyola in the final minutes and losing. Even had to get extremely lucky to beat Appy & GT at home.

We beat UGA.
Led by 23 with 16:00 to play but ended up winning by “only” 10, which is an example of why it’s hard to just pound bad teams. A 10-point win at home in 75 possessions is roughly what KP says the #85 team does to the #154 team. If we had just played UGA even over the last sixteen minutes, that’s a nice boost in the metrics.

Last year, the ACC announced its conference schedule on September 13. Didn't realize that we won't know next season's basketball schedule for another almost 5 months.

Back