• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Preseason Discussion Thread - Hudson and Watson Suspended

Yeah, but we would be really good on offense. If our great offense with that lineup against the opposition's defense against it scores more points than their offense against our defense with that lineup, then we win. #advancedstats #callmekenpom
Do good teams worry about the downside of their strengths? Hell no, they say here is our strength, try to stop it bitches.

I'm not sure we would be nearly as good offensively as you think. There is only one reliable outside shooter in that line-up. So the other team puts a guard/wing on a Dinos, and completely packs the lane with the rest of the team. We can't take advantage by having Dinos take his guy into the post because the whole defense would sag into the lane to help.

Couple that with having to have Thomas, Dinos or Collins guard a guard/wing and we're in big trouble.

Is Moore ahead of Washington? Not that I think Andre is gonna contribute a ton, but you gotta figure Senior Andre is ahead of major project Moore right now, no?

I'd be disappointed if Moore didn't quickly pass Washington on the depth chart, mainly because of what we saw out of Andre last year. And depending on the C rotation that still might not be significant minutes.

Obviously, if the future is most important then you play Moore all the minutes you can at Andre's expense, I was just wondering if there were any reports from people that have seen them play that Moore is ahead of Dre Wash right right now.

No offense to AWash, but he was pretty bad at everything last year. Even his defense was just block hunting that could take him out of position for help or boards.

Even as a project, I hope Doral will be better as a frosh.

No offense to AWash, but he was pretty bad at everything last year. Even his defense was just block hunting that could take him out of position for help or boards.

Even as a project, I hope Doral will be better as a frosh.

But after another year with the Big Man Whisperer...

If we play more than 5 minutes this year with Mitoglou at the 3, I will be shocked. The guy is not fast enough to guard 4s, much less 3s.

Big line ups only work if 1) have at least 1 big who can defend a wing; and 2) the type of shooting and back to the basket games from those bigs to allow you to space the floor and allow the big with the best matchup go to work in the post.

We don't really have either of those right now. Mitoglou is a good shooter, but has very little post game and no lateral quickness. Thomas has a post game, but no lateral quickness and no range on his shot. Moore is a complete unknown.

Yeah, but hopefully he's spent more time whispering to Moore, Collins and Mitoglou.

Some posts on TOB from that jmiller guy, who was one of Bz's biggest supporters, so take 'em for what they're worth.

I went to the Deacon Club watch practice/have dinner with the team event last week. I was very impressed with Hudson. He looks both stronger and quicker. Doral is a massive guy. He seems to have good footwork but his shot was like a brick. We don't need him to shoot 18-footers, thank goodness. Dinos shot very well. The rest of the team don't have their shots on target yet, but that should improve with more practice time. I really expected nothing out of Gil McGregor Jr., but he's actually a pretty good athlete. He may end up getting some PT during his career. DM is very hands-on in practice and does a lot of teaching. The assistants are involved, but Manning is definitely in charge. Dinner with the kids was a lot of fun. Many of them are quite personable. My 10 year-old grandson went with me and he was wide-eyed the entire evening getting to rub shoulders with the team and coaches. The coaches treated him like he was their kid. It was a great evening.

I'm excited about what this team might do. Let's get a little more practice time and start to make some good things happen.

Crawford looked OK but was not as flashy as I thought he might be. He played with the probable starting group mostly. I was not impressed with his outside shot, but again it's early. He handled the ball well and didn't make any bonehead plays. In a word, solid.

Collins didn't really do anything much to distinguish himself that evening. Looks like he has good athletic characteristics, but was sort of lost in the crowd in that practice.

He's a walk-on. Like Bilas' kid.

In the unlikely 3 bigs scenario, it would have to be Collins that would guard the SF. Definitely the best athlete of the bigs.

If we can play some defense I think we will be an NIT team. I think we can and will as we at least seem to have more athleticism this year and if there is one thing Danny has shown he can do it is motivate the kids to get playing time.

Regardless of what happens this year, it is just such a damn relief to be rid of redacto-boy and to have hope that our coach will bring the team around to being competitive. Every time I see Danny I am more impressed. Guy has his head on right. We'll get there.

He's a walk-on. Like Bilas' kid.

I just looked at the roster on the official website. 19 players deep. In addition, WF appears to have 10 student managers. Beyond the head coach, 3 assistants and a DBO, WF basketball has: a) Director of Athletic Performance; b) Director of Player Development; c) Director of Technology and Scouting Assistant; d) Video Coordinator; e) Student Athlete Services. Thought those duties would be mostly covered by assistant coaches or the DBO. Guess not. The team picture is hilarious. No team will want scrap with us. We are like the Chinese Army; we can overwhelm any opponent with numbers.

What is the NCAA restriction (if there is one) on roster size? Is WF really taking 19 players on road trips? The bench is going to go 3 rows deep.

In the unlikely 3 bigs scenario, it would have to be Collins that would guard the SF. Definitely the best athlete of the bigs.

Yes, true. Most likely, but I was thinking more in specialized situations when we have our three (Dinos or not) bigs across the lane in a zone (on those rare occasions) where we pack it in against a Pitt or BC, or whatever teams stink at shooting the 3 this year. I could see us going big on offense with Dinos drifting out to set pics and pop for open 3's. In Danny's offense, if you have both BC and CMM capable to penetrating the lane, I don't see the liability in having 3 other players (DT, Dinos and JC or Moore) on the floor at the same time for stretches.

Yes, true. Most likely, but I was thinking more in specialized situations when we have our three (Dinos or not) bigs across the lane in a zone (on those rare occasions) where we pack it in against a Pitt or BC, or whatever teams stink at shooting the 3 this year. I could see us going big on offense with Dinos drifting out to set pics and pop for open 3's. In Danny's offense, if you have both BC and CMM capable to penetrating the lane, I don't see the liability in having 3 other players (DT, Dinos and JC or Moore) on the floor at the same time for stretches.

You have one person in that lineup capable of shooting outside of 10 feet. It would be a trainwreck.

Obviously, if the future is most important then you play Moore all the minutes you can at Andre's expense, I was just wondering if there were any reports from people that have seen them play that Moore is ahead of Dre Wash right right now.

Manning sounded optimistic about Moore in a Rivals article. I'll be surprised if Washington gets minutes over Moore this year.

Also, Thomas has dropped 10 pounds and appears to be quicker this year.

You have one person in that lineup capable of shooting outside of 10 feet. It would be a trainwreck.

I think Crawford is a better shooter than you give him credit for...of course he is a freshman and will have lots of growing pains and inconsistency.

I think Crawford is a better shooter than you give him credit for...of course he is a freshman and will have lots of growing pains and inconsistency.

I think Crawford is the one player he was talking about.

He was talking about Dinos.

All the DreWash haters are forgetting these #gains

9ofrJFA.png

Back