• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Preseason Discussion Thread - Hudson and Watson Suspended

Reminder that Dinos played well in the FIBA u19 against good competition this offseason and Greece lost in the 3rd place game (USA won led by Harry Giles). Even though he didn't shoot well from three he still averaged 10 and 7 and had two highlight dunks

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to seeing that Dinos in the black and gold.

I'd say trimmed down Dinos is looking more than capable of playing limited mins at the 3 depending on the match ups, but whatevs. As usual, some of you guys dismiss the idea of a guy actually developing and adding versatility to their game.

And yes, a line up of Dinos\DT\Collins\BC\CMM may seem limited at first blush, but that is still a helluva lot better than DLeonard\Dinos\DT\Wilbekin\CMM.

Think we can expect closer to 33% from the arc from Codi as I'm sure he has been working hard on that. We know Dinos can stroke it and BC, while streaky, can by all accounts fill it up. I'd be excited about the mid-range game with any lineup we throw out in light of Danny's offensive approach that doesn't necessarily rely on pounding it in and kicking out.

We shall see.

ETA: if in fact Yung Crab has added a couple of inches to his already lanky frame and has improved his handle in the off-season, then we won't need much of JC or Dinos at the 3, even when we get our bigs into foul trouble. Let's hope G-Mc shows more of that explosiveness we know he possesses and can help cement our D in our base lineup of DT/Dinos/GMc/BC/Codi.

Last edited:
Bruh, Dinos has like no lateral quickness. He's not guarding the 3. He struggles to guard the 4.

I'd like to see a regular lineup of Wilbekin/CMM/Hudson/Dinos/DT, with BC as a third guard, and Collins as the first big off the bench.

I agree that we have the potential for some fun novelty lineups with our roster, but they should really just be novelties. There's no reason to play a ton of minutes with a three guard set, or with Dinos/Collins at the 3, because for once we have pretty decent depth (well, two deep) at every position.

But while we're throwing out fun lineups, I think we'll have the opportunity to go small with Wilbekin/BC/CMM/Hudson/Collins at some point. If BC and Hudson have improved their outside shot, that lineup could create a lot of spacing problems for opposing Ds.

Dinos would be better suited and more of a mismatch in some lineups as a stretch 5 more than a 3. Centers would have a hard time guarding the three point line and Dinos lack of lateral quickness isn't as much of an issue at 5 while strength improvements could mitigate defensive struggles there. I mean he was awful guarding 4s last years or you're not losing much there.

Bruh, Dinos has like no lateral quickness. He's not guarding the 3. He struggles to guard the 4.

I'm reserving judgment till Danny shows he is THAT stubborn and refuses to play much zone again. No one said that Dinos would be guarding a quicker 3 in man to man. Jaysus you guys love to jump on one thing without even acknowledging that I'm referring to zone match ups that allow us to put our best 5 scorers on the floor at once. Or pack it in tight against a poorer shooting team, of which there are a handful in the ACC (see GT, BC, FSU, CU, Pitt last year).

At any rate, we're not THAT deep yet, and we will need to rely on our best scorers / players to win games. It may make us vulnerable on the defensive end, but if we can improve our defensive rebounding at the very least and stay up around 40-41 rpg in ACC play, then we may just be quite competitive.

Jaysus you guys love to jump on one thing without even acknowledging that I'm referring to zone match ups that allow us to put our best 5 scorers on the floor at once.

But how is Dinos at the 3 putting our best scorers on the floor? Devin and who at the 4 and 5?

I'd like to see a regular lineup of Wilbekin/CMM/Hudson/Dinos/DT, with BC as a third guard, and Collins as the first big off the bench.

I agree that we have the potential for some fun novelty lineups with our roster, but they should really just be novelties. There's no reason to play a ton of minutes with a three guard set, or with Dinos/Collins at the 3, because for once we have pretty decent depth (well, two deep) at every position.

We're need a 3 guard set unless we're better with McClinton playing 10+ minutes at SF. I don't think Crawford/CMM/McClinton is much better than Wilbekin/CMM/Crawford.

But how is Dinos at the 3 putting our best scorers on the floor? Devin and who at the 4 and 5?

It assumes Collins will be one of our best scorers.

Assuming DT, CMM, and Dinos are our best scorers, there's no room for another post scorer on the floor unless one of them plays the 3.

Dinos would be better suited and more of a mismatch in some lineups as a stretch 5 more than a 3. Centers would have a hard time guarding the three point line and Dinos lack of lateral quickness isn't as much of an issue at 5 while strength improvements could mitigate defensive struggles there. I mean he was awful guarding 4s last years or you're not losing much there.

I grant you that, but I'm not really thinking in terms of a traditional assignment of the 3, 4, 5 when it comes to our bigs as they have all had their defensive challenges (well, jury is out on Collins but we know Moore struggled with D in HS and that's prolly why he didn't play more). Not to say they are interchangeable, but if your best scoring 5 is DT/Dinos/JC/BC/CMM for instance, and you're playing one of those shitty shooting teams on the road, why not play some conservative 2-3 zone or even move Dinos to the top with his long ass arms in a 1-2-2 or 3-2 and try to disrupt? Not something you wanna do in long stretches, but if you're tryna spark the offense or get one of your bigs going down low, might be a way to do it.

Awww hell, is it November yet? Love October, but ready to see these new players in the B&G.

Dinos is not a power forward, unless he has really worked on his back to the basket game in the off-season. He loves to float around the perimeter, set screens and pop. That makes him more of a 3 than a 4. But as someone said above, he's really a stretch 5, but he ain't scaring anyone in the paint under the basket.

But I'm not getting hung up on who's a 3 or who's a 5. Just would like to see Collins get his chance to play under the basket or on the baseline to benefit from double-teaming of DT. With Dinos roaming around, setting picks for BC and CMM, he will feast on open threes in that set.

I mean shit, I recall us playing DT, Dinos and D-Leonard together for chrissake's last year.

I look for improvement in DM as well. I think we left a couple out there last year due to some questionable bench decisions. We were not going anywhere anyway, but I think DM as a young coach needs to learn as well.

Yeah, giving the ball to a certain player at crunch time..

Last year Hudson was listed at 6-6 180. This year he is listed at 6-7 195.

Back