• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

Kenpom has 2 Big East teams in the top 20 and 5 ACC teams in the top 20.

Expanding to the next 5 ACC teams, only 1 Big East team joins them.

Not entirely sure how much the venue of the conference tournament factors into where a kid goes to play.

Not entirely sure how much the venue of the conference tournament factors into where a kid goes to play.

My point here is that there are a lot more factors at play for each individual athlete than what conference a team plays in. Many recent big recruits for Seton Hall and Nova have talked about wanting to play in the Garden and the other NBA arenas in the conference. The Big East routinely sends 60+% of the conference to the tourney. Last year I believe DePaul went 10-1 in non conference with wins at Iowa, at Minnesota, home to Texas Tech, and then won 2 Big East games. Just shows every team in the Big East is a contender, and the night to night grind in major market cities like NY, Philly, DC, and Chicago can be more appealing to some individuals than playing Duke and UNC once a year. Different strokes for different folks, let's focus on guys that want to be Deacs and not judge those who don't.

My point here is that there are a lot more factors at play for each individual athlete than what conference a team plays in. Many recent big recruits for Seton Hall and Nova have talked about wanting to play in the Garden and the other NBA arenas in the conference. The Big East routinely sends 60+% of the conference to the tourney. Last year I believe DePaul went 10-1 in non conference with wins at Iowa, at Minnesota, home to Texas Tech, and then won 2 Big East games. Just shows every team in the Big East is a contender, and the night to night grind in major market cities like NY, Philly, DC, and Chicago can be more appealing to some individuals than playing Duke and UNC once a year. Different strokes for different folks, let's focus on guys that want to be Deacs and not judge those who don't.

Certainly not denigrating those who choose schools other than Wake, but I think you're a couple years late on the Big East fawning. I'm not so sure that playing DePaul, Creighton, Seton Hall and Butler is a huge prestige upgrade over Miami, Clemson or Boston College.

If Aidoo was from NJ or Texas picking Marquette wouldn’t be strange. It’s just that in general kids who grow up in NC dream of playing in the ACC. That, combined with his family being unable to attend many games and the horrible weather in Milwaukee would make Marquette an odd choice.

I know several Marquette grads - it is a perfectly fine school. If you want to go to a small private school in a big city, you can do a lot worse than Marquette.

Certainly not denigrating those who choose schools other than Wake, but I think you're a couple years late on the Big East fawning. I'm not so sure that playing DePaul, Creighton, Seton Hall and Butler is a huge prestige upgrade over Miami, Clemson or Boston College.

Depends where you are from. Chicago, etc., probably think think they’ve had bigger bowel movements than Miami, Clemson, and Boston College. They’re probably right.

I’m not sure what tradition and whatever means aside from the top tier of programs.

"took the time out to recruit me" I'd a funny way of putting it. Sounds like Thanks for stopping by!

Marquette seems like a loser on every level (academics, coaching acumen, conference affiliation, probably playing time) but I’ve long ago given up trying to apply rational thinking to the choices of 18 year old basketball players.

Are you just now waking up from a 10-year nap?

Marquette has been to the postseason 14 of the past 17 years and most of those have been NCAA births. They are on TV in March. A lot.

They also haven't won an NCAA tournament game in 7 years. And the two they played in were blowout losses. Better than Wake's recent dumpster fire program but nothing to get all fired up about. They're ok, and it's a worse conference than the ACC.

Milwaukee is gross.

I disagree. There is a ton to do in Milwaukee compared to Winston and it is beautiful along the lake. I had plenty of friends and relatives go to Marquette and it a good school with a cool neighborhood around it and tons to do. Weather sucks in the winter but it is not beyond reason that someone would select Marquette before Wake.

Plus for someone outside of the ACC TV window, the ACC Network sucks. I have Comcast and Youtube TV and it is work to view games, especially on ACC Network+ which most of Wake's game end up on since the have sucked for 10 years.

Not to mention that for many of us the only way to get the ACC Network is to have Direct TV.
Blown away that Atlantic Broadband still doesn't carry the ACC Network.
Whats up with that??

I'd prefer him go to Marquette than NCSU. Still, it's a pretty strange decision. I think he mentioned wanting to go somewhere that his family could come watch him play. I guess he had a change of heart. I'm still holding onto hope that Forbes flips him last minute like Whitt.

I disagree. There is a ton to do in Milwaukee compared to Winston and it is beautiful along the lake. I had plenty of friends and relatives go to Marquette and it a good school with a cool neighborhood around it and tons to do. Weather sucks in the winter but it is not beyond reason that someone would select Marquette before Wake.

Plus for someone outside of the ACC TV window, the ACC Network sucks. I have Comcast and Youtube TV and it is work to view games, especially on ACC Network+ which most of Wake's game end up on since the have sucked for 10 years.

It's been amazing to me how many kids from warmer climes want to go to Syracuse. Now they have to put up with the weather and play a tournament in Greensboro every couple of years.

Hey @NJDeac22, the Big East is great or whatever but the best conference back to front in college basketball is the Big Ten. They have THREE teams in the top 6. THREE.

Which conference is best in basketball? At the moment the Big 10 is the top rated conference by Sagarin. The ACC is ranked fourth. The numbers will change over the course of a season and are determined by success against out of conference competition.

This question comes up every year. Sagarin has been ranking top to bottom conference strength since 2000. With the exception of four seasons, six conferences finish in the Top 6 every year. Those conferences are the Big East, Big 12, Big 10, Pacific Athletic, Southeastern and the Atlantic Coast. I have rank ordered those six conferences for every year since 2000. The sum of those rankings have this result. The number in parentheses indicate how often the conference finished first.

1. Big 12...58 points (7) 2. ACC...63 points (4) 3. Big 10...65 points (6) 4. Big East...74 points (1)
5. SEC...85 points (2) 6. PAC...100 points (1)

Another determinant in conference strength is the frequency of winning the NCAA championship. The rank order since 2000.

1. ACC...(8) 2. Big East...(6) 3. SEC...(3) 4. Big 10...(1) 4. Big 12...(1) 6. PAC...(0)

Adding the number of first place finishes together from each measure gets this result.

1. ACC...(12) 2. Big 12...(8) 3. Big 10...(7) 4. Big East...(7) 5. SEC...(5) 6. PAC...(1)

Given this information keep this adage in mind. Figures lie and liars figure.

Last edited:
Back