• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Great stuff, thanks for posting it. After watching that, it strikes me that Tabari Hinds may have made a big mistake. Had he stayed at Wake he would have known the offense really well and could have put up some impressive numbers (even if he was splitting catches with Dortch). Now he's going to have to learn a new offense wherever he goes, and there's a good chance it won't be nearly as dynamic as it would be at Wake. Hopefully his credits transfer and he's able to graduate on time.

Tabari plans to graduate this summer from Wake Forest. He will be playing this fall somewhere.

Tabari plans to graduate this summer from Wake Forest. He will be playing this fall somewhere.

Good to hear that he will have his degree before he leaves Wake. Best of luck to him at his next stop.

If y’all haven’t looked at Wolford’s senior highlights, check them out: https://youtu.be/8j1Do8dvypA

Seeing all these dimes back to back to back is really a striking testament to his anticipation and accuracy. We are really going to miss him next year. I hope he catches on somewhere in the league.

Wolford was really good at putting the ball into small spaces between defenders. He also seemed to know where to throw the ball so his guy could catch it, and nobody else could touch it.

His run against Syracuse was really nifty. Fooled a lot of people by keeping the ball.

If he doesn't graduate until after 2nd semester of summer school, then he will even miss some of the beginning of fall camp. If he only needs to go to first semester, then he should be able to start fall practice at a new school.

That's great that he's graduating.

As others note, he's going to have to learn a new system quickly. That's too bad, and it might significantly affect his on-field production, especially if he doesn't join a dynamic offense. Seems like a risky and unwise move, if he has pro football aspirations.

I was really hoping to see how Clawson would get Dortch and Hines on the field together.

If he doesn't graduate until after 2nd semester of summer school, then he will even miss some of the beginning of fall camp. If he only needs to go to first semester, then he should be able to start fall practice at a new school.

Don't all degrees awarded during the summer only take effect at the end of both? In August?

Don't all degrees awarded during the summer only take effect at the end of both? In August?

I would guess that Wake could provide paperwork that indicated he had completed all requirements for his degree. That should allow him to start practice elsewhere in August.

They just said on Austin sports radio that Tabari is visiting UT this weekend

Why are you always advocating on the maximum freedom of the players to do anything they damn well please? These situations are exactly why there is a "sit a year out" rule in the first place. Kids just shopping themselves around to programs so they can maximize their playing careers in their view, at the expense of everything else. (I guess with a diploma, at least they've satisfied the academic basis of the equation.) It all goes back to the theory that this is about education and amateur players, not pros. Oh yeah, but I forget, you also want to shatter that ideal as well -- college "free agency" all the way, let the highest bidder win!

Baylor covered up sexual assaults and then paid Art Briles 15 million dollars to go away, but it is college kids wanting to transfer that shatters the college football ideal?

Why are you always advocating on the maximum freedom of the players to do anything they damn well please? These situations are exactly why there is a "sit a year out" rule in the first place. Kids just shopping themselves around to programs so they can maximize their playing careers in their view, at the expense of everything else. (I guess with a diploma, at least they've satisfied the academic basis of the equation.) It all goes back to the theory that this is about education and amateur players, not pros. Oh yeah, but I forget, you also want to shatter that ideal as well -- college "free agency" all the way, let the highest bidder win!

Are other students allowed to transfer without penalty? If this is about education, why can’t student athletes change their minds about where they want to finish their education?

You can’t really have it both ways. You want restrictions to players as it applies to the sports not the academics.

Also, if you are upset by the idea of players being free to make decisions about where they play for a school, it might be time to take a look at why you feel that way. Because it’s a weird thing to be upset about. I say this as someone who loves college sports. I can critique something from a place of love.

What we want is that players are allowed to transfer to Wake if they want..... but they can't transfer out of Wake unless we all agree it's ok.

Are other students allowed to transfer without penalty? If this is about education, why can’t student athletes change their minds about where they want to finish their education?

Student athletes can transfer without academic penalty. In fact, it would be reasonable to argue that having to redshirt a year helps to emphasize the academic side of the equation. You could also argue that disincentivizing transfers is important from the academic side because there isn’t a risk of losing credits.

I get your point of view, but I don’t think the issue is as clear cut as you are portraying it.

Student athletes can transfer without academic penalty. In fact, it would be reasonable to argue that having to redshirt a year helps to emphasize the academic side of the equation. You could also argue that disincentivizing transfers is important from the academic side because there isn’t a risk of losing credits.

I get your point of view, but I don’t think the issue is as clear cut as you are portraying it.

It’s really dishonest to suggest the transfer rules are about academics and not penalties.

Just as the arguments that you could have an expanded playoff in CFB because of academics are dishonest especially when literally every other fall sport already does.

People don’t want players to transfer because it can hurt your team. That’s really it. It’s ok to say that. Let’s not hide behind some transparent veil of altruism.

It’s really dishonest to suggest the transfer rules are about academics and not penalties.

I think it’s dishonest to suggest it’s all about athletics. The transfer rules developed from a time when student-athletes had to redshirt their freshmen year, which was done mainly to help students adjust to the academic rigors of college. There are now data showing that NCAA athletes that transfer are less likely to earn a degree. If you have already earned a degree, you can transfer without penalty.

Again, I get your point, but there is much more nuance that you are ignoring.

I think it’s dishonest to suggest it’s all about athletics. The transfer rules developed from a time when student-athletes had to redshirt their freshmen year, which was done mainly to help students adjust to the academic rigors of college. There are now data showing that NCAA athletes that transfer are less likely to earn a degree. If you have already earned a degree, you can transfer without penalty.

Again, I get your point, but there is much more nuance that you are ignoring.

Then why not sit out a year when you transfer in from JuCo? Or down to a lower division?

Then why not sit out a year when you transfer in from JuCo? Or down to a lower division?

JUCOs aren’t part of the NCAA. Division 3 doesn’t have scholarships. But you are correct that there are oddities in the rules. Probably an even better argument from your end is that the rules vary based on the sport. I think a lot of the transfer rules tie into the full scholarship aspect of it, with many aspects dating back decades.

Back