• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Hearing rumblings that CBS suspension was for grades and he might be looking to transfer to App st. If that is true we are extremely thin at rb next year

I assume the staff is in discussion with Delaney about sticking around.

Btw, Ohio St tight end coach was at East Surry on Monday. He didn’t offer Boaz but is looking at underclassmen Benji Gosnell and a lineman (Washington).

Paging mako... Boaz signed with UNC today, as well.

I honestly thought the Ohio State interest might cause him to reevaluate things, but I guess the Mack hold on daddy was too strong. I hope he does well there, just not against us. He and Gosnell are both great kids.

We have a very nice class- but, maybe unfairly, I keep thinking our extended success and bowl streak coupled with staff stability would generate more traction for us in recruiting.

We have a very nice class- but, maybe unfairly, I keep thinking our extended success and bowl streak coupled with staff stability would generate more traction for us in recruiting.

Agreed. This is a very nice class but slightly decreased in overall average rating from the prior year. Clawson's recruiting seems to have plateaued and the question remains whether he can elevate it any further. Wake really have not seen much of an uptick in recruiting despite the sustained success on the field and bowl games.

Agreed. This is a very nice class but slightly decreased in overall average rating from the prior year. Clawson's recruiting seems to have plateaued and the question remains whether he can elevate it any further. Wake really have not seen much of an uptick in recruiting despite the sustained success on the field and bowl games.

I have more faith in Clawson and Staff’s evaluation of talent than recruiting sites. Think he’s earned his stripes for us to have that mindset.

I have more faith in Clawson and Staff’s evaluation of talent than recruiting sites. Think he’s earned his stripes for us to have that mindset.

I agree. Time to work harder on the transfer portal and the kids who didn't sign yet.

I think recruiting success is trending with success on the field. If we can break through next season with 10+ wins, I think we'll see recruiting improve as well.

I think recruiting success is trending with success on the field. If we can break through next season with 10+ wins, I think we'll see recruiting improve as well.

However, I think the recruiting seems to have a year or so lag behind on field success. Playing and beating another P5 team with some name cachet will help the next few recruiting classes.

Agree. These kids are so young. If Wake started recruiting them as sophomores, two years ago, we really only had one year with a winning record before we started following them. But if we keep up the 7-10 wins for another year or two you'll have kids that wake start recruiting that will only know the Deacs as a winner. Just like they don't remember when we went to the Orange Bowl, they won't think of us as a perennial loser either.

Year Nat Rank ACC Rank Avg Rating
2020 54 10 0.8403
2019 58 11 0.846
2018 64 13 0.8428
2017 68 14 0.8269
2016 57 10 0.8319
2015 51 11 0.8298
2014 67 14 0.818

Clawson improved Wake's average rating for recruiting rankings to 0.84 from historical levels of approximately 0.82. Wake's average rating under Clawson has plateaued at the 0.84 level. Clawson will need to further improve recruiting in order to take a step forward towards getting a consistent winning record in the ACC and beating teams that have winning records.

Without further improvements in recruiting having double digit wins in a season will be a significant challenge and unlikely to occur.

Clawson and the coaching staff have really done a great job at evaluating talent and improving Wake's recruiting. Great job. I commend them for their efforts and now it's time for them to work harder to further improve recruiting to help Wake take another step forward towards being a successful program.

Is the coaching staff going to do a press conference like they have in the past?

I tend to agree. Our key to success depends upon the level of development above a base level of ability. This class looks to have the best upside of any recruited by Clawson regardless of stars and numbers. The argument of plateauing in recruiting doesn’t mean WF will be unable to consistently win at the 10 game level if the development is realized.

Successful recruiting isn't just about average. It is also about peaks. How highly rated are the top guys in the class? They are the most likely guys to compete for early playing time and to be effective if they get it. Nothing is guaranteed, but that is the obvious starting place.

Apart from 5*, I think the grading system for high school athletes is questionable in predicting a player's future in college. There are too many variables that cannot be measured. Great staffs are able to decipher these and locate the best candidates for their systems.

However, the one quality that Wake must improve, I think, is speed. We need faster athletes at virtually every position but especially at RB, WR and in the defensive backfield.

Agree with Mebane. Outside of the bonafide, blue chip 5 star, it’s a wash.

Mike Allen has yet to materialize and he was our highest rated recruit in a while.

It seems that the recruits who end up playing early for us (burning their redshirt) are lower ranked recruits (Rucker, Essissima, Walker, Smenda, Greer, Bergan, Taylor). Further, it also seems to be the guys we steal away last minute from mid majors (walker, Taylor, Rucker).

Save for exceptions, ratings really don’t matter to Clawson.

there's a reason we had the #79 defense in the country last year and it wasn't all scheme

there's a reason we had the #79 defense in the country last year and it wasn't all scheme

Why was our defense ranked #24 in 2016? The recruiting rankings haven't changed much at all (if anything, they were lower back then).

In football, there is very, very little correlation with recruiting rankings and performance, outside of the 5 star players. Over the past 5 years, the average 247 class rankings are FSU 8.4, UNC 27.8, and Wake Forest 59.6. You can also look at the rankings of only the Wake players - there's just no correlation between rankings and production. Dortch was a 2 star, Walker was our lowest rated running back, Freudenthal was a 0 star - it just goes on and on.

Back