• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest @ NC State Game Thread

We get it, you won’t criticize him what so ever . At what point do the same mistakes , blown leads , and over all lack of composure fall on the coach? As a high school coach, when I’ve seen repeated mistakes from my team, it becomes my problem .

Actually I’ve criticized Manning’s in game coaching plenty of times. Actually multiple times in the last couple days. But you do you. I’ve stated he is not a good in game coach. Doesn’t make every game we lose his fault and this was not one of them.

We had something going with Moore and Sarr out there. Sarr isn't quite ready but he looks like he's developing. Moore's defense was exceptional.
I'm really pissed at Crawford for blowing several layups.
I'm pissed at Manning for not running our offense in the last 5 minutes of the game
I'm pissed at Childress for making horrible, inexplicable turnovers.
I'm pissed at Chaundee for not living up to the hype
I'm pissed for wasting so much time watching our team play.
I'm pissed at myself for probably watching the next game.

Tennessee ended game on 16-2 run
UNC ended game on 8-0 run
State ends game on 11-0 run

We're pretty good at this end-of-game thing.

You just wait until we get some players! Then, ALL of this will change!! It's been our problem all along.

We had something going with Moore and Sarr out there. Sarr isn't quite ready but he looks like he's developing. Moore's defense was exceptional.
I'm pissed at Manning for not running our offense in the last 5 minutes of the game

I forgot that I'm really pissed at Thompson for not being able to finish any shot in the paint. Brutal.

we stopped running an offense. and the stupid 4 guard lineup in crunch time. that's why manning deserves blame.[/QUOTE

This. 100% this. I don’t understand how anyone without their head deep inside their own ass can continue defending DM. He isn’t just magically going to become a good coach. Make Wellman run a legit search, pony up some serious $$$ and let’s get a young coach who is proven at a tier 2 D-1 program and influence him to come here and turn this polished turd into a non-bottom dwelling ACC program.

we stopped running an offense. and the stupid 4 guard lineup in crunch time. that's why manning deserves blame.

What sucks about the 4 guard line-up is:

A. Our guards are pathetic on defense, so the other team scores on pretty much every possession, and
B. Our guards are probably the worst end of game players I have ever seen in my life. It's like they try to out do each other with turnovers, bad shots, missed lay-ups, etc. They are truly pitiful in the last couple of minutes of close games.

You can’t. Just have a lot of stupid people on these boards

Come up with a new schtick. When you come out of a timeout and your team is not prepared for full court pressure, that's on the coach. You never think Manning is at fault - maybe you should consider whether you're the stupid one.

It is defintely Manning’s Problem. Not sure how you coach Crawford to make an open layup or not get a 10 second call though. At a certain point players have to make a play. Perhaps it is confidence? I don’t know. Mind boggling how anti-clutch this team is.

No doubt about it that Manning has to figure out a way to fix it. Or find players that can make the play and not choke.

Yep, Manning definitely does not have good in-game coaching abilities but we have wide open layups, a ten second call with a total of 7 years experience bringing the ball up, missed free throws. Players have to make plays, and if they made half of them at the end of the game that they should’ve we win.

Part of our problem is that we don’t have a single player that can finish a contested shot. Crawford clearly can’t. Moore can’t unless he can dunk it and at the end of the game we are too scared of him at the free throw line to just throw him the ball. Sarr isn’t ready yet. Mitch and Woods are too slow and too short. Chill is erratic. We need a guy who can make a contested shot. We don’t have that person. Both of States final two shots were contested jump shots (2nd one was more open than the first). We simply don’t have someone that can do that consistently. Makes for a lot of scoring droughts. Makes it difficult to draw up a play.

You can’t. Just have a lot of stupid people on these boards

Of course you can. We have ended at least 3 games this year by going on long scoreless streaks (UT, UNC, and now State). That's on the coach because it reflects game management and how you react to what the other team is presenting.

That's bad, but what's even worse is that our D is terrible, so we get no end of game stops.

This pattern occurred in game 1 this year (Ga Southern). We lead 83-80 with a minute left in that game, but then got outscored 0-5 to end that game.

Tennessee ended game on 16-2 run
UNC ended game on 8-0 run
State ends game on 11-0 run

We're pretty good at this end-of-game thing.

Had some of those last year as well. Clemson at home comes to mind.

Actually I’ve criticized Manning’s in game coaching plenty of times. Actually multiple times in the last couple days. But you do you. I’ve stated he is not a good in game coach. Doesn’t make every game we lose his fault and this was not one of them.

Wait, I’m confused by your last sentence. Are you saying this game is not on him?

Somebody says that after every loss, at what point does the coach get the blame?

This. On a scale of manning out to manning in, I was at about a manning meh. Was still meh/ok despite losing to Drake, Liberty, and GS, but I'm finally done. It's clear that he doesn't have any idea what he's doing in crunch time. How many more games like this will it take for people to realize this? It's year freaking 4 and we still have no damn clue how to close out a game. These implosions are simply a direct correlation to Manning. If they happened every 12 games or so I can maybe understand, but it happens way too often.

Come up with a new schtick. When you come out of a timeout and your team is not prepared for full court pressure, that's on the coach. You never think Manning is at fault - maybe you should consider whether you're the stupid one.

They were prepared. State was pressing the whole game. We were in the set and Crawford decided to pass it in the backcourt rather than go over the line when he had the opportunity. We were in our two guard press break and Crawford made a turnover.

How much of a lead did we fart away in that dook game last year?

This is right.

I criticize Manning all the time. Read more than one post. When he deserves, I call him on it. After VT, I posted “there is absolutely no excuse to come out so unprepared.” But this game was there for the taking and our players didn’t make simple plays you should make every single time. But yeah, I have a “schtick” lol

Really hard to watch the end of that...almost like we just don’t know how to play when game is on the line...bad shots, passes, and lost on defense. Im going to watch Belk Bowl replay now to get me in a better mood.

That's because we are so young. Oh wait, Wilbekin and Crawford have been pulling this shit for years now, and Childress is closing in on 2 years of choking.

Back