• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest @ NC State Game Thread

Wake leads 63-61 with 4:30 left to play. They proceed to go 0-7 from the field, 0-1 from the foul line and turn the ball over four times. State scores 11 points to win 72-63. No clutch to this team. Groundhog day returns.

Dude this is a trend...pick one, either players suck or DM sucks...seems you believe the players suck...the ones DM recruited

Actually I’ve criticized Manning’s in game coaching plenty of times. Actually multiple times in the last couple days. But you do you. I’ve stated he is not a good in game coach. Doesn’t make every game we lose his fault and this was not one of them.

For the 3rd time in the last 3 weeks we have end games with terrible scoring droughts. Again, as I and others have said, it’s not like we are getting killed so it’s not a massive talent disparity. It’s a consistent blowing of games, mental mistakes that are his problems.

Our small forward sits on the bench.

Yep. We've got three guys capable of playing SF. Our starting SF played 7 minutes based on the only box score with minutes I can find. He started both halves, came out, and never came back in.

Game was tied 63-63 with 2 minutes left. Manning took out Sarr for Woods and went with 4 guards. They gave up 9 points in the last two minutes. I understand Sarr may have been winded, but I think Manning left two timeouts on the board.

https://www.scacchoops.com/viewhdgame.asp?hSchedule=45510&bView=10

lol at tags. I predicted a wake win and thought we were going to do it until I remembered that we have Danny Manning on the sidelines unfortunately.

Of course you can. We have ended at least 3 games this year by going on long scoreless streaks (UT, UNC, and now State). That's on the coach because it reflects game management and how you react to what the other team is presenting.

That's bad, but what's even worse is that our D is terrible, so we get no end of game stops.

This pattern occurred in game 1 this year (Ga Southern). We lead 83-80 with a minute left in that game, but then got outscored 0-5 to end that game.

I am not talking about end of game coaching in general. Manning has shown he is not good at end of game coaching multiple times. This game, players were in perfect position to make plays and they didn’t. Missed wide open layup, stupid shots, Wilbekin and Crawford (two most experienced guards) get a ten second call because Crawford threw the ball back into half court rather than leading Wilbekin over the half court line. Manning can not be completely blameless by principle, but this one is heavily on the players. THIS ONE, not others.

They were prepared. State was pressing the whole game. We were in the set and Crawford decided to pass it in the backcourt rather than go over the line when he had the opportunity. We were in our two guard press break and Crawford made a turnover.

Let's be honest - our guards are chokers. Maybe some of that is on the coaches, but for the last 3 or 4 years, if we are in a close game, we are going to see a run of turnovers and poor shot selection, while the other team scores on every possession. As someone else mentioned, it almost looks like our guards are trying to throw the games down the stretch.

Starters outside of Moore were 8/31 from the field. Thompson and Brown just not contributing, need to change the starters and shake some things up.

I hope UVa blows us out Sunday night, because I can imagine how stupid their defense would make us look the last couple of minutes of a close game.

Dude this is a trend...pick one, either players suck or DM sucks...seems you believe the players suck...the ones DM recruited

Each game is an individual event that can have different things affect the outcome. Plenty have been coaching us to lose, plenty have been players not making plays they should. This one is the latter. VT we lost because we weren’t prepared to play - so on Manning. We were prepared to play today and our guards choked on a fat one to end the game, per usual.

The stubbornness with the four guard lineup is unexplainable. He’s the only guy that doesn’t realize it just gets you beat with our guards.

We didn't play it much at all until last 2 mins which was pretty dumb to change when we were still tied.

Coach's comments coming up- let's hear what he mumbles was our end game problem tonight.

We had something going with Moore and Sarr out there. Sarr isn't quite ready but he looks like he's developing. Moore's defense was exceptional.
I'm really pissed at Crawford for blowing several layups.
I'm pissed at Manning for not running our offense in the last 5 minutes of the game
I'm pissed at Childress for making horrible, inexplicable turnovers.
I'm pissed at Chaundee for not living up to the hype
I'm pissed for wasting so much time watching our team play.
I'm pissed at myself for probably watching the next game.

How can you be pissed at Chaundee?

Is he not sitting in the proper position on the damn bench!

In all my years of watching basketball I have never seen a coach misuse a player like Manning has misused Chaundee. That is, unless it was Collins in his freshman year.

Manning started the season hell bent on using the guards at all costs and he has stuck to his guns and now he has the record to prove it. I would bet my house that if Chaundee had been used for one-half of Wilbekin and Childress's minutes we would have at least 3 or 4 more wins.

Manning has insisted on using the 4 guards in the last 5 minutes of close games and just look at the results. At times you have to go with talent over so-called experience. As a result of Mannings refusal to change his dumb substitution patterns this season is a total waste.

Because our guards are just horrible in the last 2 to 3 minutes of games. For all of the "experience" they have, they act like they've never played before, if it is a close game down the stretch. Horrible turnovers, forced bad shots, missed bunnies. It's really pathetic to watch Crawford, Wilbekin, and Childress just throw up all over themselves every single time in this situation.

Here's my problem with all the criticism of Manning. It's not like Manning can afford to take Crawford out after missing a layup at crunch time, right? Isn't he one of our best players?
Manning was the coach when we had a lead with 4 mins to go, correct? With the ball in the hands of guards so much during end of game situations, our inconsistent guard play is going to result in poor outcomes unfortunately. Now a criticism of Manning not recruiting enough talent at guard may be/is fair but he can only put the guards out there that we have.

Adam Gold‏Verified account
@AGoldFan
Following Following @AGoldFan
More
Wake hoops could easily win a Golden Globe for unintentional comedy if you just watch the last 3 minutes of every game

They were prepared. State was pressing the whole game. We were in the set and Crawford decided to pass it in the backcourt rather than go over the line when he had the opportunity. We were in our two guard press break and Crawford made a turnover.

State was not pressing the whole game. Not even close. It was token inbounds pressure and then fall back. It was obvious they were going to ramp it up at the end and we still came out unprepared out of a timeout.

It's just weird to me that Hoard is rated only slightly higher than Chaundee, yet people are expecting him to come in Day 1 and be the savior while at the same time seeing how Chaundee has underperformed expectations. Not many freshmen are really, really good immediately.

Yep. We've got three guys capable of playing SF. Our starting SF played 7 minutes based on the only box score with minutes I can find. He started both halves, came out, and never came back in.

Game was tied 63-63 with 2 minutes left. Manning took out Sarr for Woods and went with 4 guards. They gave up 9 points in the last two minutes. I understand Sarr may have been winded, but I think Manning left two timeouts on the board.

https://www.scacchoops.com/viewhdgame.asp?hSchedule=45510&bView=10

This is how Manning lost the game. Sarr & Moore are dominating defensively and on the boards. So Manning brings in more guards. Just stupid.

Also stupid to not play your only real small forward who is a very good defender and has great + - numbers.

How can you be pissed at Chaundee?

Is he not sitting in the proper position on the damn bench!

In all my years of watching basketball I have never seen a coach misuse a player like Manning has misused Chaundee. That is, unless it was Collins in his freshman year.

Manning started the season hell bent on using the guards at all costs and he has stuck to his guns and now he has the record to prove it. I would bet my house that if Chaundee had been used for one-half of Wilbekin and Childress's minutes we would have at least 3 or 4 more wins.

Manning has insisted on using the 4 guards in the last 5 minutes of close games and just look at the results. At times you have to go with talent over so-called experience. As a result of Mannings refusal to change his dumb substitution patterns this season is a total waste.

We've got one guy capable of playing perimeter defense on a team with horrible perimeter defense. And Manning doesn't play him.

I get why Wilbekin and Childress play so much. If Crawford was a complete player, we could rely on him to hit 3s and drive to the basket consistently. I get it. But you don't address Crawford's weaknesses by playing two weaker players who only do what Crawford can't do some of the time.

Back