• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest @ Syracuse - 8pm Tip - Discussion/Predictions/GameThread

Have you guys ever seen a player dramatically improve his FT shooting over the course of a season? It took Ish until his senior year to even become serviceable and it wasn't for lack of trying.

DM definitely made a bad call letting CMM bring it up the court, but don't expect CMM to drastically improve his shooting anytime soon.

It's pretty damn unorthodox to foul with that much time left, so I wouldn't blame Manning for that one. The bigger coaching problems were leaving Hudson and Jones in for too long when Syracuse cut into our lead late in the second half and making too many big-small switches, which left us outmanned on the boards and ended up allowing too many crucial offensive rebounds.

In games like this, it's hard when you've got three freshmen in the final lineup. Freshmen don't tend to win in these situations, although ours still played pretty well. I expect they'll improve each year under real coaching.

Manning has been crushing the macro aspects of building our program back up but there have been some micro errors. Better that than the reverse I suppose. Also, he's still super inexperienced in relative HC years, so we should hope it can improve just like a player can.

Well said.

You have to double Christmas. You just have to. Washington should have played more. He killed us. It was a one man wrecking crew. Then manning had a terrible lineup in when they made the run. Madison, cmm, Leonard, Hudson and mitt. Can't have Madison and cmm in at the same time.

Have to double Christmas. I agree coaching mistakes at the micro level, but that was the difference. That and simple free throw shooting.

Such a higher level of basketball being played. That was an awesome game despite the ending.

Curious to see if that earned Dinos a start.

I love Mitch but he isn't much of a creator at this point, he can't just get a shot for himself or teammates on command etc. So it is hard to ask him to have the ball in his hands in the final minute to do that

And here we go again with the CMM needs to practice more FTs posts, lol, he's just not a very good shooter, will most likely always be 60% at free throws, he does other things well so you just have to accept it

We did A LOT of things right tonight, and our progression since the beginning of the season is astonishing to me. At the beginning of the season, I would have taken the team that played tonight as the final form. The fact that we still have a month to improve makes me think we could be a real threat to steal a couple games in the ACC Tourney.

The NIT is no NCAA, but any tourney experience is crucial, especially for the young guys.

Manning has been crushing the macro aspects of building our program back up but there have been some micro errors. Better that than the reverse I suppose. Also, he's still super inexperienced in relative HC years, so we should hope it can improve just like a player can.

I'm all for improvement, and we know DM is, but for God's sake give the guy some credit. He has done a hell of a job taking table scraps and building a team that is competing in every game.

good: overall game, play from freshmen

bad: calls from the refs, how we handled christmas

ugly: FT shooting down the stretch

Hard to blame Manning for CMM having the ball on that possession. even if Wilbekin brought the ball up it would ended up in the CMMs hands since he is our playmaker. He would have been fouled with less time on the clock. CMM played a great game other than the FT at the end. It will be tough to win close games this year. Great effort on the road

The improvement of the team has been outstanding. This years version of Syracuse isn't as good as the older versions, but I will gladly eat crow as these Deacs are going to compete no matter what.

Tough loss, but i loved what i saw. Playing hard. Playing smart. We did a good job attacking the zone D, even when the shots didnt fall.

I love Mitch but he isn't much of a creator at this point, he can't just get a shot for himself or teammates on command etc. So it is hard to ask him to have the ball in his hands in the final minute to do that

And here we go again with the CMM needs to practice more FTs posts, lol, he's just not a very good shooter, will most likely always be 60% at free throws, he does other things well so you just have to accept it

Yeah. The plan was probably for CMM to drive and dish or work the ball around to a shooter. Wilbekin is the spot up guy in that situation.

I'm all for improvement, and we know DM is, but for God's sake give the guy some credit. He has done a hell of a job taking table scraps and building a team that is competing in every game.

um:

Manning has been crushing the macro aspects of building our program back up...

I'm not really sure Codi is a creator either unless it's on the fast break though..

You have to double Christmas. You just have to. Washington should have played more. He killed us. It was a one man wrecking crew. Then manning had a terrible lineup in when they made the run. Madison, cmm, Leonard, Hudson and mitt. Can't have Madison and cmm in at the same time.

Have to double Christmas. I agree coaching mistakes at the micro level, but that was the difference. That and simple free throw shooting.

Washington would have a been a huge gamble against Christmas. I don't mind him against slow bigs like the GaTech guys, but against a fast guy with spin moves Andre is out of his depth.

Madison got the key steal late to send it to OT - minus almost giving up the game-losing layup he and Codi were lock-down on defense. The majority of Cooney's makes were shooting over Wilbekin.

We're a flawed team - have to pick our poison. Easy to forget that Leonard simply fumbled an easy pass with the game on the line and a chance to tie. McClinton was the only guy to really play the high post well all night.

Back