• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake @ Syracuse: 3pm RSN

Definitely wouldn't need 8. Very good chance State/VT/Clemson/Miami are all going to better bowls.

Not a ton of competition after that. 7 would certainly help, but I wouldn't be shocked if we got Charlotte with 6 wins

Yeah, we're not getting the Belk Bowl with six wins. But neither is FSU, so we have that going for us. FSU has played in the ACCCG plenty so no need to have them in Charlotte after a thoroughly disappointing season.

Also, does a Wake win at Syracuse make the Clemson loss up there look kinda worse ? I think so.

Syracuse's only home loss is to MTSU. Woof.

Cuse is 4-1 at home (0-4 on the road with single digit losses to LSU, State, Miami and FSU). Cuse needs the game or they would have to sweep the final two (at L'vile and against a hot BC team) to reach bowl eligibility. Their stud QB (Eric Dungey) is banged up (foot and ankle) and will not practice this week. Coach Babers expects Dungey to play, but if he can't go, Cuse may pull the redshirt off their freshman QB Tommy DeVito. Line has dropped from Cuse as a slight favorite to a pick at most places. WF has never won at the a/c Dome. The WF defense needs to shore up to maximize WF's chances.

The outcome of the WF/Cuse game is irrelevant to Clemson. If Clemson wins out, they are in the playoff. If they lose another one, Clemson is out.

The outcome of the WF/Cuse game is irrelevant to Clemson. If Clemson wins out, they are in the playoff. If they lose another one, Clemson is out.

I don't know. Undefeated B1G Champion Wisconsin might look better than 1-loss Clemson who lost to a Syracuse team that finished the season 4-8.

Cuse is 4-1 at home (0-4 on the road with single digit losses to LSU, State, Miami and FSU). Cuse needs the game or they would have to sweep the final two (at L'vile and against a hot BC team) to reach bowl eligibility. Their stud QB (Eric Dungey) is banged up (foot and ankle) and will not practice this week. Coach Babers expects Dungey to play, but if he can't go, Cuse may pull the redshirt off their freshman QB Tommy DeVito. Line has dropped from Cuse as a slight favorite to a pick at most places. WF has never won at the a/c Dome. The WF defense needs to shore up to maximize WF's chances.

Guessing they would just roll with Culpepper if Dungey can't go. Mahoney has been bad this season.

I bet Dungey will start and see how it goes from there. It will be key to get pressure on him from the beginning of the game and get a couple of hits on him. This will certainly mitigate Dungey's ability to run, which, if last weekend showed us anything is that Wake is not good at defending the QB run (Dawson is not a great spy).

As Al Davis famously said, "The quarterback must go down, and he must go down HARD" Go gett'm Duke!

Guessing they would just roll with Culpepper if Dungey can't go. Mahoney has been bad this season.

I bet Dungey will start and see how it goes from there. It will be key to get pressure on him from the beginning of the game and get a couple of hits on him. This will certainly mitigate Dungey's ability to run, which, if last weekend showed us anything is that Wake is not good at defending the QB run (Dawson is not a great spy).

We need for our D to hit Dungey early and often.
Much better for him to heal up sitting on the bench rather than getting repeatedly pounded on the field.

Why in the world would we ever have Dawson as the spy for an athletic QB? Strnad did an admirable job against Jackson, for the most part. Let him do it.

Yeah, we're not getting the Belk Bowl with six wins

Maybe, but who gets it instead? Besides State/VT/Miami/Clem -- all of whom quite likely will be going to better bowls -- there are going to be very few ACC teams on >6 wins, and fewer (if any) who are geographically sensible for Charlotte

Last edited:
Virginia hasn't been to Charlotte since 2003. Louisville maybe. Ga Tech if they're eligible.

GT isn't going better than 6-5, and UVa is going to be a TD+ dog in every remaining game. And Louisville went as a good team in 2014 against your Dawgs and the attendance sucked. And I'd argue we might be a better draw in Charlotte than every single one of those teams.

Bigger key IMO is Miami/VT/Clem/State all winding up in better bowls through the whims of the process. But even then VT and State have been in the Belk the last two years, so they could conceivably wind up in a Nashville/Jacksonville, NYC or El Paso while we get Charlotte

GT isn't going better than 6-5, and UVa is going to be a TD+ dog in every remaining game. And Louisville went as a good team in 2014 against your Dawgs and the attendance sucked. And I'd argue we might be a better draw in Charlotte than every single one of those teams.

Bigger key IMO is Miami/VT/Clem/State all winding up in better bowls through the whims of the process. But even then VT and State have been in the Belk the last two years, so they could conceivably wind up in a Nashville/Jacksonville, NYC or El Paso while we get Charlotte

Louisville attendance wasn't that bad and Ga Tech has never played in Charlotte.

I don't know. Undefeated B1G Champion Wisconsin might look better than 1-loss Clemson who lost to a Syracuse team that finished the season 4-8.

Maybe but I doubt it. I think Clemson benefits from being there before even though I am sure the committee would deny that. Unless Clemson loses another game I think they are in.

Louisville attendance wasn't that bad and Ga Tech has never played in Charlotte.

Louisville doesn't travel very well these days. The Citrus Bowl was down 20K last year with them in it. Maybe that tier-three edumacation kicking in, lack of discretionary income. I could see them Sun Bowl-bound to give CBS Lamar Jackson.

GT is def a possibility, but I could absolutely see a scenario where a 6-6 Wake team gets Belk instead of 6-5 GT. Especially since the Jackets have already played a potential opponent in the game (the Vols)

I'd have to think Tech is under 50% to get to 6 wins. 4-4 with VPI, @Duke, and Georgia left.

Back