• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

God I’d love to beat Stanford and tOSU to win it all.

God I’d love to beat Stanford and tOSU to win it all.

I know everyone on this thread will scoff at me but:

We are playing the Men and Women's National Championship at Wake?!?!?!?

Wow! How am I just now realizing this?

It's fucking awesome.

Boards tailgate?

It is awesome. 16 men’s teams, 16 women’s teams, 64 men’s individuals, 64 women’s individuals, 32 men’s doubles teams, and 32 women’s doubles teams. It really is quite an event. Additionally, in the future the event will only have 8 teams, as more rounds will be played at home teams sites. So, going forward it won’t be this large.

It is awesome. 16 men’s teams, 16 women’s teams, 64 men’s individuals, 64 women’s individuals, 32 men’s doubles teams, and 32 women’s doubles teams. It really is quite an event. Additionally, in the future the event will only have 8 teams, as more rounds will be played at home teams sites. So, going forward it won’t be this large.

Hadn't heard that yet, when does that new format start?

I know everyone on this thread will scoff at me but:

We are playing the Men and Women's National Championship at Wake?!?!?!?

Wow! How am I just now realizing this?

Not only playing at Wake, but the host team, our Deacs, is ranked #1.
The stars have really aligned for us.
Now.....let's win it.

Not only playing at Wake, but the host team, our Deacs, is ranked #1.
The stars have really aligned for us.
Now.....let's win it.

It would be great for Wake to win the national title on their home court. Even better if it would be two!

Petros/Botzer are 1st alternate for dubs tourney as the 35th ranked team in the country. They will absolutely get in. Skan/Demp and Skan/Gojo are both ranked higher so I have no idea why they weren't selected.

Petros/Botzer are 1st alternate for dubs tourney as the 35th ranked team in the country. They will absolutely get in. Skan/Demp and Skan/Gojo are both ranked higher so I have no idea why they weren't selected.

I was wondering the same. I wonder if the teams have to play a certain number of times together in the spring season to be eligible?

Petro and Skan are 4, Demp and Skan are 19, Skan and Gojo are 21, Petros and Bar are 35, Demp and Dirk are 46 and Dirk and Julian are 66. However the rule to qulaify is 10 matches together with 8 finishes. Kinda stupid really since they quit dubs after dub point decided. Demp and Skan played 9 so one off and they would have been in and Petros and Skan only played like 6 or so not qualfied. However we will have three ranked teams for our doubles rollout in NCAA #21, #35 and #46 !!!!

and Demp Skan had match pt on Blumberg and Kelly and did not finish. One pt away from 10 and probably close to #1!

and Demp Skan had match pt on Blumberg and Kelly and did not finish. One pt away from 10 and probably close to #1!

Looks like they didn't finish against State in the last match of the year either. That's really too bad.

Petro and Skan are 4, Demp and Skan are 19, Skan and Gojo are 21, Petros and Bar are 35, Demp and Dirk are 46 and Dirk and Julian are 66. However the rule to qulaify is 10 matches together with 8 finishes. Kinda stupid really since they quit dubs after dub point decided. Demp and Skan played 9 so one off and they would have been in and Petros and Skan only played like 6 or so not qualfied. However we will have three ranked teams for our doubles rollout in NCAA #21, #35 and #46 !!!!

Great info and insight, thanks for posting.

college tennis rating system leaves a lot to be desired

It does, but some of it is on the tweaks to the scoring system over the past few years. I like the current scoring set-up (no-ad for doubles and singles, 6 game set in doubles), as I think it is fan-friendly. However, maybe they should play all doubles matches in ACC play (at least) to completion. It's too bad Mansouri, Seraphim, and Dempster don't get to play in the doubles tourney their senior years, as they are all outstanding doubles players.

It does, but some of it is on the tweaks to the scoring system over the past few years. I like the current scoring set-up (no-ad for doubles and singles, 6 game set in doubles), as I think it is fan-friendly. However, maybe they should play all doubles matches in ACC play (at least) to completion. It's too bad Mansouri, Seraphim, and Dempster don't get to play in the doubles tourney their senior years, as they are all outstanding doubles players.

Part of this too is the shuffling we've had during the year with the doubles lineup. Not that Bresky was wrong for doing so - quite the opposite with a combo of inconsistency and Dirk's injuries that forced his hand. Bottom line is he's figured it out and, with Dirk now healthy, we've got 3 good doubles teams playing well and the singles lineup he probably envisioned when the season started.

Just saw the ACC Tennis honors. Wake has four guys on the three all-ACC teams.

Last update on twitter indicates it's 3-2 Deacs, and Davis is up a break at no. 1 - 4-2 (this was 22 minutes ago).

showing 4-2 Deacs win on UGA tennis site. Congrats to ladies for 1st round W.

Back