• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - USC Game Thread

Sorry I couldn't miss the opportunity to set bkf up for that rant. A ceiling of Tacy would be good but it's not something we should settle for as a program.

05-06? We had zero PG's on that team. The dream was Justin could handle it but he couldn't and that was the end to that season. This team may have the best group of PG's I can remember. And by best I mean, as a group not just one guy that's a star.

Tacy was not perfect, but the guy won some really big games when it counted. His teams usually left it all on the court, just look at the semi-final losses to UVA (Sampson) and UNC (Jordon) in the ACCT. Retiring Ray Meyer and then losing to Phi Slamma Jamma by 6 (IIRC) in the final 8. Tacy couldn't get over the hump in the ACCT and win the thing, but then again he got most of his teams to Saturday.

I'm a big CMM fan and I think Madison does some things really well but Teague and Ish were considerably better. and Paul and Downey were better than that.

My point with the 05-06 comparison was that it was tough to know much of anything about that team until ACC play hit. The had a good non-conference season against a weak schedule but fell apart down the stretch. Overall talent wise I think the two teams are about the same. I hope that this team is able to finish a lot stronger than that one. I also hope that [Redacted] is held to an appropriate standard this year, which is NCAA's or bust.

05-06? We had zero PG's on that team. The dream was Justin could handle it but he couldn't and that was the end to that season. This team may have the best group of PG's I can remember. And by best I mean, as a group not just one guy that's a star.

Tacy was not perfect, but the guy won some really big games when it counted. His teams usually left it all on the court, just look at the semi-final losses to UVA (Sampson) and UNC (Jordon) in the ACCT. Retiring Ray Meyer and then losing to Phi Slamma Jamma by 6 (IIRC) in the final 8. Tacy couldn't get over the hump in the ACCT and win the thing, but then again he got most of his teams to Saturday.

You must be forgetting 04-05 when we had a HOF PG and a very good backup named Taron Downey.

How many pre-Bz Wake teams wouldn't be 5-1 against this schedule? One or two could be 6-0.

we havent done anything yet. we just haven't embarrassed ourselves yet which im pretty sure is a record for a bz team. tenn win would be the first sign of something.

Tacy was a class act..."Gentleman Carl" as he was often referred...Tacy was quiet but an effective coach. Prosser had a gift for words and had charisma. Bones from his southern Baptist preacher roots was definitely one of a kind. After leaving Wake and coaching in the Pros for a few years he spent many years doing color on the C.D. Chesney ACC telecasts in the late 60's-70's.

Holy shit, anyone watching the Kansas-Nova game? Even though it seats less than 4k, that place is awesome. I wish I could have afforded to go down. This is such a cool tournament.

Our 3 top players underperformed and we still won by double-digits. Our bench almost scored as many as our starters...which would be bad, except we won!

Madison Jones is increasingly impressive at PG.

Thomas, McKie, and CMM will have to kick it into a higher gear tomorrow. Washington is more than serviceable as Devin's back-up.

Not sure that CMM had a bad game. The bench extended the lead while he was out and he just facilitated the rest. He only took 4 shots, I'd say if he wanted/needed to take 15 he would have.

How many pre-Bz Wake teams wouldn't be 5-1 against this schedule? One or two could be 6-0.

Any pre-bz team would be at absolute worst 10-3 heading into ACC play, and would be disappointed with anything less than 12-1. If this team is 11-2 i'll consider it an improvement worth noting, if they are 12-1 I'll be very interested to see if they can sustain that through ACC play.

Not sure that CMM had a bad game. The bench extended the lead while he was out and he just facilitated the rest. He only took 4 shots, I'd say if he wanted/needed to take 15 he would have.

CMM played well tonight. He managed the game and USC's D really focused on CMM - he didn't force shots, got other players involved.

Didn't say he had a bad game, but that he underperformed. He did not produce the same offense as in previous games. It turned out well; but I don't think we can be successful unless he is more assertive in scoring the ball.

But, I may be entirely wrong.

I guess you forgot about the time when we had Chris Paul, Justin Gray, and Taron Downey or Jeff Teague and Ishmael Smith. That's only recently, too. These guys are solid, but there are quite a few PG corps that are up there and over them, IMO. This post is some egregious #samplesizedeac...

Somehow I missed the bold. That's horrible. He should be ashamed of himself.

Good lord, the '76-'77 team had a PG who ended his career as a two time 1st team ACC selection and another who had a ten year NBA career as a PG.

Actually Carl is one of my favorite coaches and I did a lot of his practices back in the day, but he actually did not do well in the ACCT. He over practiced our guys that week and had them worn out. But he did have remarkable success given the lack of facilities playing in that old Quanset Hut we were in. Skip Brown never won an ACC tourney game his entire 4 years under Carl. But we got to the Elite 8 in 1977 with Skip, Rod, Freshman Frank, Leapin Leroy & Jerry. Then the next year reached his only ACCT finals where we lost to Duke in the nationally televised finals on ABC. He regrouped them again in 1984 for another Elite 8 run with Delaney, Danny, Kenny Green, Teachey & a freshman named Muggsy.

Back