• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - USC Game Thread

Carl Tacy was the best "during the game" coach in Deacon bb history. He often worked wonders against Dean Smith's infamous Four Corners.

I can't help but think the obvious...this is a nice little team but w/ no purpose or idea what they are doing on offense.

W/ a competent coach they could go .500 in the ACC and probably sneak in the Tourney.

W/ Bzzz, we'll maybe win 3 conference games.

I cannot believe anyone is truly trying to say that CMM + Madison jones is better than Teague + ish or would even utter that they were better than CP3 + Downey.

Emphasis on PG, as in better ball handlers, certainly not better scorers. Ish and CP3 great ball handlers, Teague and Downey good at best. So far CMM and Jones are showing that they are very good at handling the ball.

They have a long way to go on the scoring front. CMM certainly is showing the potential.

Emphasis on PG, as in better ball handlers, certainly not better scorers. Ish and CP3 great ball handlers, Teague and Downey good at best. So far CMM and Jones are showing that they are very good at handling the ball.

They have a long way to go on the scoring front. CMM certainly is showing the potential.

Just stop. This is not a debate. We would all be thrilled if the current players became our third best PG combo.

IIRC the one that got into trouble was Mike Helms, not Jerry Schellenberg. Skip Brown has recently been hired by Ron Wellman to help the athletic departrment financially. Another human shield?

I thought he was with one of the area banks (Skip Brown)...Amazing Wellman hiring all of these former "greats"...almost like all these new posters who are BuzzIn!

Maybe focus on the 'I can remember'. You can probably figure out I might have no knowledge of anything pre-79.

I always thought of Downey as more of a 2G with his scoring. CMM plays both and Madison is a pure PG. If we lump 2G in the mix, Coron makes three good ball handlers in our backcourt. Ish and Teague, really, apparently they couldn't play on the court at the same time with out one of them getting pissed and pouting. Justin was the furthest thing from a PG that we could have.

CMM/Madison/Coron have 66 assists and 22 TO's, that's pretty good PG play, IMO.

You have no knowledge of anything Wake basketball related pre-79? I never saw Bones Mckinney coach for Wake Forest, but I have knowledge of him doing so. He was obviously an excellent coach. Ever hear of him?

You saw plenty of Frank Johnson. How do you not know about Brown, who was two time all ACC, had two time All American recognition and is the career assists leader for Wake Forest? BTW, he is an assistant athletic director at Wake.

You list three current players as PG's. They combined for 84 minutes in a 40 minute game against USC, yet you don't think of Taron (who was starting PG for a couple of years) as a PG because he shot so well?

I think we should all reserve judgment until we play some ACC road games.

Up 15 now

The fake out, then obvious [Redacted] meltdown is going to be more painful than i thought

USC playing more of the Enfield Dunk City style today. I thought Xavier was supposed to be a pretty solid team this year. They look awful.

USC playing more of the Enfield Dunk City style today. I thought Xavier was supposed to be a pretty solid team this year. They look awful.

if a team is part of our non-conference schedule, they will not be "pretty solid"

I can see it now.

Wellman: "Xavier, they're a very solid team. Three Sweet 16's and an Elite 8 in the last few years."

I can't help but think the obvious...this is a nice little team but w/ no purpose or idea what they are doing on offense.

Completely disagree about this. Our offense ran well yesterday and got many open shots. 10 different players scored. Ridiculous to say no purpose or idea on offense.

You have no knowledge of anything Wake basketball related pre-79? I never saw Bones Mckinney coach for Wake Forest, but I have knowledge of him doing so. He was obviously an excellent coach. Ever hear of him?

You saw plenty of Frank Johnson. How do you not know about Brown, who was two time all ACC, had two time All American recognition and is the career assists leader for Wake Forest? BTW, he is an assistant athletic director at Wake.

You list three current players as PG's. They combined for 84 minutes in a 40 minute game against USC, yet you don't think of Taron (who was starting PG for a couple of years) as a PG because he shot so well?

Since most folks on here are supporting the team, Deac83 feels the need to push his position further towards idiotic. Seriously, Downey isn't a PG? Do you even watch Wake Forest basketball? CMM is playing well this year, but he really has only had one test (which is similar to last year, actually). Madison is playing well, but he would have been the fourth guard on the CP3/Gray/Downey team. Dudes have played seven games, only two of them against even average competition and only one game against a good team. And you're saying that they're unequivocally better than one two year legend and future NBA HOFer, and two very good - amongst the best guards we've had in 20 years - four year starters.

Reactions: Ayo
Completely disagree about this. Our offense ran well yesterday and got many open shots. 10 different players scored. Ridiculous to say no purpose or idea on offense.

#Wrangorbatsignal

Facepalm

Please talk some sense into him, coach.

Back