• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - USC Game Thread

As I was making my 13-mile walk after the '75 ACCT game (while Duke & Clemson were playing the 2nd game of the afternoon session), I was ready to argue that we really won that game. In the 55 years that I have watched WF & ACC basketball games, that remains the only game I have seen that I think was deliberately stolen by the officials. I've seen other games with bad calls, but that's the only game that I have ever seen that I think was deliberately stolen. Schellenberg's pass didn't come within six feet of the scoreboard....and the ACC only sent one team to the NCAA Tournament at that time. (And Skip scored a layup & was fouled on that scoreboard play. Without that call, we would have been leading 92-86 with Skip on the foul line with 25 seconds to play.)

By the way, the 1&1 free throw that Skip Brown missed with 11 seconds left in regulation....after the scoreboard play, when we were still leading by 90-88 (after leading by 90-82 with 52 seconds to play)....which set the stage for Brad Hoffman's shot at the buzzer to send the game to overtime....was the only free throw that Skip Brown ever missed in an ACCT game in his entire four years.

I have a friend who was at that game, and he told me that the only two people in the coliseum who saw the ball hit the scoreboard were Mitch Kupchak and Hank Nichols. Check out their subsequent career paths, particularly that of Nichols.

Last edited:
That would be retarded.

But CMM has something to him. Kinda like JG did his freshman year. Hopefully, he finishes better than JG, although hopefully that is after dickface is fired.

And hopefully Duke doesn't transfer in some thug to break his jaw.

Why did Coron not play more against Kansas? He is clearly our best shooter

With our shit schedule if this team doesn't make the NIT Buzzdicklick is gone.

Except Downey started at point guard for two full seasons before Chris Paul arrived. (And a couple games into CP3's freshman year, IIRC.) Was the starting point on the regular season ACC champs in '02-'03.

I like Madison. Madison has a LOOOOONG way to go to reach Downey.

Other than that glaring mistake and the other bemusing caveats, perfect hypothesis!

Because Bzz can't coach.

This win demonstrates improvement over the past few years. Unfortunately it still doesn't tell us much, other than that we are back to winning the games that we are absolutely supposed to win. USC was 143rd in Kenpom coming into today.

Still think that leaves us short of the tournament though. Which is unacceptable in year 4.
So this sort of progress would be great if in year 3, but is completely unacceptable because it's year #4? Why does 1 year matter so much?

Wellman stuck Bz in a difficult position. Bz IS the anti-Dino so he did not fit the program at all other than Wellman's vision. Wellman made Bz retain Dino's coaches...and recruits..which was a big class too remember? The coaches had to change recruiting targets going forward to fit Bz. Simply put, Wellman created a clusterfuck by believing Dino was THE problem and bringing in the anti-Dino to save the progam. Bad fit with Dino's players/recruits and keeping the coaches is what cratered the program to where it went. Not saying Bz is the answer for Wake, but do you ever take all of that into consideration when forming your opinion of the Bz timeline?

Sounds like some solid coaching from year 1 to 2 of the big class....and again that we've replaced CJ. I expect a couple from that class to transfer.

Whatever became of Jerry Schellenberg? Recall he got into some trouble after college. Believe Skip Brown is head honcho of an area bank...

Fred Hickel made the scoreboard call. By the way, it was the last ACC game he ever officiated. Hank Nichols made the other grievous call.....the technical foul on Wake for not coming out to guard Carolina with the game tied and less than a minute to play in overtime, when everyone knew that they were holding the ball for the last shot. (And after they had fouled Brown, Schellenberg & Cal Stamp out of the game and shackled Griffin & Mike Parrish with 4 fouls. They had to huddle at the scorer's table for about five minutes after Brown had caught that long pass, made a layup and been fouled, according to Nichols, who was at the far end of the court....when it become apparent to them that Carolina was in dire straights and was going to miss the NCAA Tournament if they didn't do something quickly.)

This remains on the top of the list of things in my life I've tried to forget that still p___ me off...

I'm really high on the player CMM could become. He's got great size and looks strong/fit this year. Seems to have much more purpose on the court also.

This remains on the top of the list of things in my life I've tried to forget that still p___ me off...

Concur. One of the guys in my golf group is a Heel and whenever he gets a lucky bounce of a tree or a cart path or something, I'll tell him the ball hit the scoreboard.

Oh, well. It's only been thirty-eight years.

Good win over USC. UT is a big game. First chance for a tournament caliber win. For Bzzz to even think about starting to win over the fanbase, he needs to make a post-season tournament this year.

Main reason was Kansas was primarily playing man-to-man and USC was mostly in a zone. This is one reason to have some optimism for this season. Since we have had no potent outside threat the last 2 seasons teams have been able to zone us to death. Now if they want to zone us at least we have one buster.

Whatever became of Jerry Schellenberg? Recall he got into some trouble after college. Believe Skip Brown is head honcho of an area bank...

IIRC the one that got into trouble was Mike Helms, not Jerry Schellenberg. Skip Brown has recently been hired by Ron Wellman to help the athletic departrment financially. Another human shield?

How [Redacted] would it be to "win" the losers bracket? I can hear Wellman now, claiming a pre-season tournament championship.

Fred Hikel made the scoreboard call. By the way, it was the last ACC game he ever officiated. Hank Nichols made the other grievous call.....the technical foul on Wake for not coming out to guard Carolina with the game tied and less than a minute to play in overtime, when everyone knew that they were holding the ball for the last shot. (And after they had fouled Brown, Schellenberg & Cal Stamp out of the game and shackled Griffin & Mike Parrish with 4 fouls. They had to huddle at the scorer's table for about five minutes after Brown had caught that long pass, made a layup and been fouled, according to Nichols, who was at the far end of the court....when it become apparent to them that Carolina was in dire straights and was going to miss the NCAA Tournament if they didn't do something quickly.)

My late business partner played freshman ball at UNC, and his Dad was Dean Smith's closest friend...used to fly him all over the country on recruiting trips. About 16-17 years ago, my partner's sister got married, and Dean & Linnea, Guthridge, Phil Ford, George Karl, etc all came to Wilson for the wedding. I was introduced to Dean as Wilson's biggest Wake fan, and he started talking about how good Tim Duncan was. When it was my turn to speak, all I said was "that ball didn't hit the scoreboard, did it?" Everybody cracked up laughing, but I asked him again, and he said he wasn't looking up, but he did admit he started pointing at the scoreboard to get a couple of seconds put back on the clock, and that's when Hikel ran to the scorer's table saying the pass hit the scoreboard.

Back