• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Vanderbilt GAME THREAD - 9/9/2023, 11am Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium - lightening delay

Last year Vandy came into the game very high on Mike Wright, who had a very terrible day against the WF defense. Swann came in and looked competent with the game out of reach.

I see Wright is at Mississippi State this year and played in a mop-up role in Week 1. Curious if MSU believes in him as anything above insurance.

Last year Wake opened -6 and -6.5 when Griffis was expected to be the starter. So that would've been -12/-12.5 if the game were in Winston. It moved to -13.5 by kickoff after Sam was announced and played. Wake won 45-25.

Is Vanderbilt 2 points better across the board than Wake is this year as Vegas has out there with current line at 10/10.5? No real idea at large but I do feel confident that Wake is at least a touchdown or so ahead of Vandy on a neutral field. Agree with Pilch here: Vandy very well may cover but I think we shred their corners all day and this isn't a good matchup for what they're trying to do on defense.
Pretty interesting point that Wake was favored by more last year in Nashville than Wake is this year in Winston.

Going from Hartman to Griffis is the obvious reason why, but outside of that the composition/talent level of our team isn't all that changed. I'm not sure that the downgrade from Hartman to Griffis is worth a full touchdown difference to the spread. And I haven't seen anything out of Vandy to suggest they are substantially better than last year.

For everyone considering canceling Spectrum (and you should because they blow) make sure to actually look at a statement to understand what your billing cycle is.

I just canceled my internet with them to get Google Fiber and I called up Spectrum to stop service. My bill was auto paid every month on the 1st, but my billing cycle actually ran from the 15th-16th of every month. I never set up anything beyond clicking an auto pay button, so I feel like this is set up to trick people into thinking they have until the end of the month to cancel without getting charged for another month. Ultimately on me for not knowing, but Spectrum can go get fucked.

I'm torn because I can't watch Clippers or Dodgers without spectrum, but I think this might be the final straw. That $15 credit they're offering is insulting when the only reason I have the service is for sports.

Pretty interesting point that Wake was favored by more last year in Nashville than Wake is this year in Winston.

Going from Hartman to Griffis is the obvious reason why, but outside of that the composition/talent level of our team isn't all that changed. I'm not sure that the downgrade from Hartman to Griffis is worth a full touchdown difference to the spread. And I haven't seen anything out of Vandy to suggest they are substantially better than last year.
WF dropped in the ratings post-Vandy last year. Vandy moved up (barely) in the ratings post-WF last year.

I think Vandy was very poorly rated coming into the year last year - guessing there was some phasing out of pre-season weighting as well after two games. That is kinda weird at face value though.

I think Vandy was very poorly rated coming into the year last year - guessing there was some phasing out of pre-season weighting as well after two games. That is kinda weird at face value though.
Yeah I’d want to see the ratings where we dropped. I don’t specifically recall that being the case since we solidly handled Vandy

I know this is not on topic about wake football but there is a ton of useful info here about the spectrum issues. Question for you guys who know all the ins and outs. I have spectrum and use it to watch live sports and cable news and not it much else. I’m ready to cancel and YouTube tv sounds very cool. Big question though: can I stream ballys sports through their app if I have youtubetv? My son is a huge hornets and nba fan barely watches any live tv except for ballys ( weird I know) so I want to be able to access ballys somehow.

I know this is not on topic about wake football but there is a ton of useful info here about the spectrum issues. Question for you guys who know all the ins and outs. I have spectrum and use it to watch live sports and cable news and not it much else. I’m ready to cancel and YouTube tv sounds very cool. Big question though: can I stream ballys sports through their app if I have youtubetv? My son is a huge hornets and nba fan barely watches any live tv except for ballys ( weird I know) so I want to be able to access ballys somehow.
No

No you would need to find another way to get Ballys.

Although I'd say that Ballys isn't going to have very many takers moving forward. It's a losing model for regional sports distribution and they're paying the price for that.

I also wonder about Ballys for the Hurricanes games.... Am I going to be able to watch the Canes if I jump to YTTV.

Yeah I’d want to see the ratings where we dropped. I don’t specifically recall that being the case since we solidly handled Vandy
We dropped from the Vandy game to the end of the year. We were something like 37th after Vandy and 45th at seasons end in Bill James’ ratings. Vandy moved up from something like 95th to 80th

Meaning, what has been learned since last year’s Vandy game is both what was learned mid-September to December (which was bad for WF and good for Vandy) plus the adjustments from 2022 to 2023.

Just checked SP+, I'm pretty surprised we are ranked 37th after ending last year at 42nd. The system thinks our defense is gonna be way better.

Looks like we actually made a pretty big jump from the preseason rankings at 45 -- also surprising.

Just checked SP+, I'm pretty surprised we are ranked 37th after ending last year at 42nd. The system thinks our defense is gonna be way better.

Looks like we actually made a pretty big jump from the preseason rankings at 45 -- also surprising.
Yeah I was trying to figure out why the big jump on SP+ compared to almost every other power rating. Basically everybody else thought Elon was meh but our adjusted winning margin on Sp+ was 33 lol

I hope Wake obviously beats the brakes off Vandy then app state turns around and crushes UNC then App fans claim they should be in the SEC or some weird logic they live by

Also is the Chase Jones thing something we need to be worried about? If it’s a concussion, I get that people have a wide range of recovery. But claw kept egging us on with Andersen’s injury last year that wasn’t a concussion

Back