• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Vanderbilt GAME THREAD - 9/9/2023, 11am Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium - lightening delay

Clawson: We made a big jump from last week, and we had to. Last year, we beat Vandy on explosive plays and turnovers. We thought it would be harder this year to get over the top. We knew we were going to have to run, and encouraging to run it as well as we did, especially since we didn't last week. Turnovers (at goalline) was disappoint, young guys first time, need to be aware of it. Delay was longest break in my career, you try to keep (the team) loose. Just let team relax and listen to music, and we got back out there. Will be a lot of guys first road trip, ODU has beat good teams at their stadium. Your first road trip always new, and vets have to help team handle it.
Sadly Forbes was not available to make a video today like he did for the baseball delay. Would have been awesome. That would surely have kept them loose. Did hear they did the same as far as inviting folks to come with no ticket?

Overall an okay win. Plenty to work on. The dramatic improvement in the run game was a nice surprise. Was very excited to see Claiborne take over today. He has huge upside.

So did KWIII and that is what concerns many of us.

#SMH

There was one time where he took a back/side step as looked like there was nothing there but then he just shot like a bullet straight ahead for a 10 td gain. He has great vision to see the holes and hits them with great speed and power.

Clawson: "The running game struggled last week."

Me: Looks at the Elon box score again

Demond Claiborne - 13 carries for 70 yards and a TD

Hmm...I don't think it was the whole running game.

Claiborne now has 40 carries for 237 yards for a nice 5.9 ypc even though his longest carry is only 17 yards.

Last edited:
Claiborne is below average on pass protection and probably the major reason that he isn't the starter. He's young so he's working on it but Carney and Ellison are both way ahead of him in that area.

But I'll say he's so talented running the ball it may not matter....change up the offense slightly to highlight his strengths.

Claiborne is below average on pass protection and probably the major reason that he isn't the starter. He's young so he's working on it but Carney and Ellison are both way ahead of him in that area.

But I'll say he's so talented running the ball it may not matter....change up the offense slightly to highlight his strengths.
A tale as old as time.

Absent bad fatigue or injury Clawson rides the runningback for the whole drive. With that in mind I think it's reasonable to say over a 10 possession game (maybe a little much) we break it down 4-4-2 or 5-4-1 (Ellison/Claiborne/Carney)? How do we think that plays out moving forward?

Keep in mind that by all accounts from folks who saw fall practice on a regular basis that Ellison was THE guy. Doesn't mean everything but doesn't mean nothing.

So he transfers. Good plan. Sorry. Not interested in watching the sequel.

Back