• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Vanderbilt GAME THREAD - 9/9/2023, 11am Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium - lightening delay

I do think Claiborne is the most talented back. I also think Ellison would've feasted today as well because Vandy had to commit to helping their horrible secondary which let the run beat them.

If Ellison comes back vs ODU I’m sure he will split carries with DC BUT if Demond eats up big yardage while Ellison continues to juke and go nowhere you have to give Tate more opportunities vs Justice after that. If both perform similarly then Tate probably goes back to a few Carrie’s.

If Ellison comes back vs ODU I’m sure he will split carries with DC BUT if Demond eats up big yardage while Ellison continues to juke and go nowhere you have to give Tate more opportunities vs Justice after that. If both perform similarly then Tate probably goes back to a few Carrie’s.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who gets that really annoying autocorrect.

Will go back and read through in a bit. Just got home. As I said, Claiborne and Carney should get 90% of the time at RB. Also wish our DBs would guard the line to gain. If it’s 3rd and 5 then don’t play 10 yards away. They want 6 yards.

Last edited:
Claiborne was a big time recruiting win. Why fight those battles if you’re not going to play the more talented - and productive - player? Ellison should still have a significant role, but Claiborne needs to be the primary rusher.

I do think Claiborne is the most talented back. I also think Ellison would've feasted today as well because Vandy had to commit to helping their horrible secondary which let the run beat them.
None of Claiborne not playing has been him not being able to run. He has gotta learn how to not get Mitch killed

Also (not taking things away from Demond cause certain things he did were special)

Vandy: "we gotta protect our corners"

Wake: sees 5-6 in box

RB: Oh they think I'm soft???

Yeah I've said it several times before the game, during, and after, but Vandy was in a rough spot because they had to help out to prevent Griffis and the passing game from just rolling, but when they conceded some room up front we punished them non-stop. This was a bad matchup for Vandy defensively against our offense based on their weaknesses and our strengths.

we only gave up six points in the second half. i do think you could reasonably argue the six points weren’t indicative of how the defense played, as we did let them move the ball.

but still, feels like that’s been a trend since we brought back lambert (would be interested to see the data, but i’m not gonna pull it myself).

None of Claiborne not playing has been him not being able to run. He has gotta learn how to not get Mitch killed

Oh great, the Kenny Walker memorial "he doesn't block well enough" narrative is getting started early.

When do we start talking about Ellison being better on special teams?

To be fair RB blocking is a huge part of being a back in our offensive scheme. But you can also alter the scheme for top tier guys and Claiborne very well may be one

We all know it is, but I take that narrative with a massive grain of salt after hearing it trotted out to justify playing CBS over a player who would be a Heisman finalist a year later.

we only gave up six points in the second half. i do think you could reasonably argue the six points weren’t indicative of how the defense played, as we did let them move the ball.

but still, feels like that’s been a trend since we brought back lambert (would be interested to see the data, but i’m not gonna pull it myself).
last season, wake gave up an avg 14 pts in the first half and 15.5 in the second half

Back