• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Vanderbilt GAME THREAD - 9/9/2023, 11am Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium - lightening delay

I really thought we looked pretty good yesterday. Griffis is acurate and did better getting rid of the ball.
Taking our game off the air and to the app was bush league. It is usually standard procedure to put the following game on the app until our game ends.

I thought Mitch looked fairly pedestrian.

Needs to progress through his reads. Seemed to get locked in on his receivers too early.

I was anxious to see Hite involved more. Foolish of me. I thought Griffis looked pretty good other than one bad decision on a pass. There is still a bunch to clean up but I feel better now than I did after the Elon game.

Desmond doesn't fuck around in the slow mesh. His decivessness is markedly different than Ellison who fucks around for that extra second. In his defense, that could be on coaching.

Now this is very true. While sometimes patience is the right call to wait for holes to open, DC is MUCH faster at deciding when it’s go time. And this is the difference between 1-2 extra yards/carry.

yep — i watched ellison’s 2022 season highlights as well as yesterday’s condensed game.

i would describe claiborne is both patient and decisive, both of which i think stem from having great vision. and then he has amazing physical attributes on top of that.

i think overall, ellison is a passable runner with some strengths in other aspects (leadership, blocking, hands, ball security), but he’s an obviously tentative runner which i think might be because he’s never sure of the right way to go. that’s not to say there aren’t any impressive runs, but it’s plain obvious he doesn’t move upfield at nearly the same velocity as claiborne.

not trying to pile on ellison, just think claiborne is a special runner.

Last edited:
yep — i watched ellison’s 2022 season highlights as well as yesterday’s condensed game.

i would describe claiborne is both patient and decisive, both of which i think stem from having great vision. and then he has amazing physical attributes on top of that.

i think overall, ellison is a passable runner with some strengths in other aspects (leadership, blocking, hands, ball security), but he’s an obviously tentative runner which i think might be because he’s never sure of the right way to go. that’s not to say there aren’t any impressive runs, but it’s plain obvious he doesn’t move upfield at nearly the same velocity as claiborne.

The first highlight against Liberty really shows the difference in the backs. HUGE hole…slowly moved through.

I said it earlier in the game thread but I think Griffis is really good for the most part short and mid range throws. The sideline throws rolling out, the quick hitters, the crossing routes 5-15 yards. He’s got the ball there and it’s on a rope. The area where we’re feeling MEH is the long hall and I’m not even sure it’s as big a knock on Griffis growing into getting that timing and lob right but on how good Hartman was at finding the seam and placing a dime 45 yards downfield. The offense needs the deep pass threat to keep defenses honest and damn Sam had that ball in the repertoire.

I said it earlier in the game thread but I think Griffis is really good for the most part short and mid range throws. The sideline throws rolling out, the quick hitters, the crossing routes 5-15 yards. He’s got the ball there and it’s on a rope. The area where we’re feeling MEH is the long hall and I’m not even sure it’s as big a knock on Griffis growing into getting that timing and lob right but on how good Hartman was at finding the seam and placing a dime 45 yards downfield. The offense needs the deep pass threat to keep defenses honest and damn Sam had that ball in the repertoire.
The throw down the seam last week to the tight end was pretty nice.

great to see Tyler black handles KOs with 6 of 8 as touchbacks. And the 2 returns only averaged 22 yards so feels like that could be diff maker for season, especially in closer games against teams with dynamic playmakers such as against Clemson and fsu. Hope he keeps it up.

and how big of a pickup was Jacob Roberts. 11 tackles, sack and tfl and just seems to be all over the place.

kendron and Jasheen with solid games, but not much from DTs. Holding Vandy to 109 yds rushing is solid, but giving up over 300 in the air with only 2 sacks and not a lot of pressure is concerning. Our best Ds in past have averaged 4-5 sacks/game and only 2 is not going to cut it against better teams although 2 INts was good to see. if we can win TO battle by 2-3 each game we could definitely make some noise.

Our best Ds in past have averaged 4-5 sacks/game and only 2 is not going to cut it against better teams although 2 INts was good to see.
In 2006, we had 32 sacks in 14 games (2.3/game). In 2007, we had 29 sacks in 13 games (2.2). In 2008, we had 24 in 13 games (1.8). Our record for sacks in the Clawson era is 38 in 14 games in 2021 (2.7). The program record is 48 in 12 games (4.0) in 1992. The NCAA leader last year was Louisville with 3.8. Only 14 schools in the country averaged even 3.0 sacks per game.

We have never, ever averaged 5 sacks a game, and it's blatantly false to say that our best defenses average 4-5.

if we can win TO battle by 2-3 each game we could definitely make some noise.

Spoiler alert: We can't.

Here’s a unique idea: why don’t we throw the ball to our RBs vs only requiring them to block?
It’s one of those things we could do 1-2 times a game for free yards. It was the key late TD against State in 2021.

In 2006, we had 32 sacks in 14 games (2.3/game). In 2007, we had 29 sacks in 13 games (2.2). In 2008, we had 24 in 13 games (1.8). Our record for sacks in the Clawson era is 38 in 14 games in 2021 (2.7). The program record is 48 in 12 games (4.0) in 1992. The NCAA leader last year was Louisville with 3.8. Only 14 schools in the country averaged even 3.0 sacks per game.

We have never, ever averaged 5 sacks a game, and it's blatantly false to say that our best defenses average 4-5.

Spoiler alert: We can't.
Wow. Nice stats work and I stand corrected. Honestly thought some of those Jules tucker/bryan Andrew’s as well as OB teams with Boo in middle, curry, arnoux, etc were in 4 sack/game area. Very surprised how few only get 3/game, so resetting expectations, but point still stands we need more pressure when go against better teams as Swann had way too much time.

Here’s a unique idea: why don’t we throw the ball to our RBs vs only requiring them to block?

Common sense has no place here, sir!! To hell with these all-American fancy-pants types of players who end up being first-round draft picks.

It was one play tbf. He actually blocked pretty well otherwise.

You're kinda coming off as a hater, for lack of a better word.
He had 12 snaps as a pass blocker and graded out with a 44.8 (60 is average)

It's a consistent thing. He is a very good runner! If it makes me a hater pointing out what the coaching staff, people who have watched practice, and a third party grading service are showing, then oh well?

wow. . . over-react much?

You must be new around here - Strickland, Barca and many on the left won't be happy until schools are shut down (again), economy is damaged (again), and all public events are cancelled (unless the protest is for a virtuous enough cause) until their great-great grandchildren come out of the womb wearing a cloth mask

Back