• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Vanderbilt GAME THREAD - 9/9/2023, 11am Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium - lightening delay

After watching Cam's instructive video on Elon's 7-8 defenders in the box, I understood why that's hard to run against. His equally instructive video showed how Vanderbilt's 5-6 defenders in the box is much easier to run against. In the discussion on the relative merits of our RBs, it's a shame we didn't get to see Ellison under similar circumstances. I suspect that Demond would've have still had his breakout performance but I suspect that Ellison would have had numbers similar to Tate's but our passing game might have been better.
a video is needed to show why running against 6 in the box is easier than 8?

Why didn't Claiborne have difficulty running against Elon? Is there a video for that?

Last edited:
Yet Claiborne had 13 carries for 70 yards vs Elon.
(also really convenient to leave out the part that Claiborne had 9 carries for 29 yards until the last drive of the game where they went jumbo and checks notes made it so they weren't running with - numbers)

a video is needed to show why running against 6 in the box is easier than 8?

What didn't Claiborne have difficulty running against Elon? Is there a video for that?
and yes that is explained in the video btw

Okay Cam. Make a video of how MSU dealt with Walker weaknesses. His weaknesses were so bad, he made his coach millions. And that average coach figured it out. Ride this horse. And it was a joy watching him play and we never thought once fuck this guy. He can't pick up a blitz.

Okay Cam. Make a video of how MSU dealt with Walker weaknesses. His weaknesses were so bad, he made his coach millions. And that average coach figured it out. Ride this horse. And it was a joy watching him play and we never thought once fuck this guy. He can't pick up a blitz.
Kenneth Walker had 116 pass blocking snaps in 2020 where he played 7 games. In 2021 he had 66 in 12 games. They just didn't ask him to do it because he was not good at it. And yet that average coach the year after he left went 5-7 meanwhile Wake won 11 games the year after KW3 left.

Big Ten plays a different style of football than the ACC where basically every starting running back in this league has to be a solid blocker versus the B1G where most teams are fine with 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Those don't exist in the ACC with the rare exception of Pitt last year with Izzy.

Kenneth Walker had 116 pass blocking snaps in 2020 where he played 7 games. In 2021 he had 66 in 12 games. They just didn't ask him to do it because he was not good at it. And yet that average coach the year after he left went 5-7 meanwhile Wake won 11 games the year after KW3 left.

Big Ten plays a different style of football than the ACC where basically every starting running back in this league has to be a solid blocker versus the B1G where most teams are fine with 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Those don't exist in the ACC with the rare exception of Pitt last year with Izzy.
what decade are you referring to? There were more Big Ten teams in the top 50 of passing yards per game last season than ACC teams. But keep making bad arguments

what decade are you referring to?
The one where the Big Ten west exists (even Air Raid Wisconsin has looked mid through the air through 2 games) + Rutgers, Indiana, Michigan State offensively hasn't really looked pretty either and don't really trust Noah Kim

The one where the Big Ten west exists (even Air Raid Wisconsin has looked mid through the air through 2 games) + Rutgers, Indiana, Michigan State offensively hasn't really looked pretty either and don't really trust Noah Kim
ok. so for this discussion of KWIII and how he was used, we are talking about the 2 games of this year's Big Ten slate.

Some of y’all just like to argue about dumb shit.

Until we see a game in which the other team is daring us to run the ball and Ellison is getting more carries than Claiborne (and doing poorly), I don’t see a cause for worry. Elon was not that game.

Some of y’all just like to argue about dumb shit.

Until we see a game in which the other team is daring us to run the ball and Ellison is getting more carries than Claiborne (and doing poorly), I don’t see a cause for worry. Elon was not that game.

the anxiety stems from the parallels between this and the kw3 situation / debacle.

the anxiety stems from the parallels between this and the kw3 situation / debacle.
I think the concern is we once again have a running back that shows elite promise and we’re hoping he doesn’t become dissatisfied with his role.
This is fine, but maybe let’s wait until we have signs that this happening before we absolutely freak out.

This may be a situation (like most in life) where both sides can be correct. Sure does the coaching think that maybe they could have played any given RB a little more without being concerned about their block ability during a given game? Sure. But could the fanbase be wrong about thinking pass blocking is overvalued by our staff? Sure.
My preference is to lean on the side of the best coach who has ever come through Wake. This is about as pointless as retrospectively getting mad at the staff for not letting Kendall Hinton throw 1 to 3 passes while listed as a WR.

MSU didn't ask KW3 to block much because they were giving him the ball and having him run with it, because that's what he is fucking exceptional at.

THANK YOU!!!! I really don't understand why this concept is so fucking hard to grasp!!

Perhaps the only unanimous All-American football player to ever step on a field for Wake Forest and we couldn't get him to fit our system!? Yeah, okay.

I'll never forget being at a Deacon Club luncheon and Dave Odom was asked the following: "Coach, if you land Rodney Rogers as a recruit, where do you see him playing?" Odom responded, "ANYWHERE he wants!!!"

Last edited:
My guess is Desmond faced 10 in the box when in high school. The main point is this. When you watch football for 60 years you notice things. It was obvious to some of us Walker was special. And we were right. Could be Clawson's system does not allow for special and he might be right. I believe you adapt for special. To date its obvious who our best running back is at running. If blocking is a minus adjust to his strengths. Or maybe there is only one way to protect your QB1, but I doubt it.

MSU didn't ask KW3 to block much because they were giving him the ball and having him run with it, because that's what he is fucking exceptional at.
But that’s also a bit of a short sighted look. It’s asking the staff to reinvent its entire offensive identity for a player that may be here for Two years max. It also doesn’t account for the strengths of the other personnel in the offense. You recruit to your system, line included.

I agree that KWIII was criminally underused, but you can’t really argue that reimagining our offense for two years would be the right call when you see what the offense did the last two years.

Is there a middle ground? absolutely! Wish we had the jumbo lion while KWIII was here v. Going with him in the wildcat.

Back