• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wedding Songs

We did "Cant Help Falling In Love" by Elvis.

I had a friend who entered his reception to "Gonna Fly Now." He's divorced now and dating an even cheesier chick than he married.

kevin bacon was on stern recently and said he hates going to weddings because the dj always plays footloose and everyone looks over at him to see what he can do. he says the first thing he does now is walk up to the dj and tip him not to play it.

kevin bacon was on stern recently and said he hates going to weddings because the dj always plays footloose and everyone looks over at him to see what he can do. he says the first thing he does now is walk up to the dj and tip him not to play it.

That may be only partly effective as you can connect any song to "Footloose" in six steps or less.

Ben Folds' The Luckiest

We're both really big Ben Folds fans and it was just the right song for us. It's really long though, so about halfway through we asked the wedding party and their dates to join us which worked out nicely.

I can't imagine meeting someone who said they were a dance consultant and not laughing in their face.

We actually took a couple of dance lessons before our wedding so we had a lightly choreographed foxtrot for the opening dance.

First dance: Nat King Cole's version of (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons [my favorite version]
Last dance: Sam Cooke's version of (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons [ITCToy's favorite version]

boom

Yo La Tengo - 'Our Way To Fall'

Last edited:
We used the Beatles' In My Life.

We picked it b/c the song we wanted to use(Blue Dogs' Carry your Heart) isn't a very danceable song. We used that as our cake cutting song.

First dance was "Songbird" by Eva Cassidy. Somewhat cheesy because I love the movie Love Actually, but I also really liked the song and lyrics as well.

I know you didn't ask, but Father-Daughter was "I Loved Her First" and Mother-Son was "In My Life."

We have talked since the wedding about whether we would've liked to plan out a dance, but we were pretty happy with just swaying with a few turns and a dip at the end. Less stressful than trying to remember steps and could just enjoy the few minutes.

I know you didn't ask, but Father-Daughter was "I Loved Her First"

My best friend's FIL chose that as his Father/Daughter dance as a surprise. He felt very awkward, especially since he had never heard the song and there was no warning ahead of time.

My best friend's FIL chose that as his Father/Daughter dance as a surprise. He felt very awkward, especially since he had never heard the song and there was no warning ahead of time.

Just curious if you may be confusing "I loved her first" and another song that's something like "She was mine first?"

The one we danced to is from the point of view of a father singing to his daughter and is a commonly used wedding song.

The other one I think is about a guy singing to his ex-girlfriend?

I Loved Her First:

Look at the two of you dancing that way
Lost in the moment and each other's face
So much in love, you're alone in this place
Like there's nobody else in the world

I was enough for her not long ago
I was her number one, she told me so
And she still means the world to me, just so you know
So be careful when you hold my girl

Time changes everything, life must go on
And I'm not gonna stand in your way

But I loved her first, I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep

And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it's still hard to give her away
I loved her first

How could that beautiful woman with you
Be the same freckle face kid that I knew
The one that I read all those fairytales to
And tucked into bed all those nights

And I knew the first time I saw you with her
It was only a matter of time

I loved her first, I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers

And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it's still hard to give her away
I loved her first

Someday you might know what I'm going through
When a miracle smiles up at you
I loved her first

"You Send Me" - Sam Cooke

No dance lessons pre-wedding for us.

Our first dance was to "Forever" by the Dropkick Murphys (yes, believe it or not, they do a slow song!)

Instead of Father/Daughter & Mother/Son individual dances, we did a Parents Dance to "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong.

Our last dance was to "I Could Not Ask For More" by Edwin McCain.

Yeah, its that same song. He doesnt listen to country so was unfamiliar with it, which IMO led to the awkwardness for him.

ladydeac, i love "i loved her first." i'm not even remotely close to getting married, but it's a song that i'll strongly consider for my father/daughter dance. great song :)

Yeah, it's really perfect for that dance. I definitely tear up a little when reading the lyrics or listening to it. However, on the wedding day, my dad and I basically decided to talk the whole dance to distract ourselves from the lyrics so we wouldn't cry. Our band leader later told us he was pissed (jokingly) cause he had never played that without the dad and daughter crying before. Ha.

Back