• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

It's really only two, since the midweek and weekend threads wouldn't ever be simultaneously active.

I even volunteer to take the mantle from Pilchard to post weekend series threads
Absolutely happy for IA to start the specific series/game threads.

I think the reason that I like A is because of what vtwhat said, it really starts to feel like a chat thread about Wake baseball which is fun. To me that represents the long haul that is the baseball season better, which is pretty different from basketball/football. Basketball/football game threads are also often miserable places, so I'm not sure why we need to replicate that for baseball.

Apolgize if this was already covered in a previous post on this thread, but since COVID, WF has started every season with a couple of home weekend series against a group of middling midwest and/or northeastern teams (this year, WF opens with Fordham, Illinois and Akron). Can't remember where Walter said this, but in 2025 and 2026 WF will play in out of town early season marqee events. IIRC, the 2026 event will be played where the Astros play (Minute Maid Park). Those series usually involve SEC and Big 12 teams. Essentially, like the college football kickoff classic, but for college baseball.

Here is a summary of the 2024 Houston event set for the beginning of March:

The 24th Annual Astros Foundation College Classic returns to Minute Maid Park from March 1-3, 2024 and this year’s lineup is stacked. LSU, Texas, Texas State, University of Houston, the University of Louisiana – Lafayette, and Vanderbilt will take the field for the nine-game tournament. The Cougars and Bobcats kick the tournament off followed by Vandy and the Ragin’ Cajuns. The Texas Longhorns and LSU Tigers headline the 3-day tournament at 7:05 pm Friday night.

Last edited:
A week from Friday. 2/16 against Fordham sans Vince Lombardi

Hell yeah. Expecting my kids to show a lot more interest since going to Omaha. Hopefully they will want to watch ACCN or ESPN+ games.

I like option B. One season long thread to discuss the general state of the team in relation to the rest of the conference, NCAA etc.

One thread per week to cover essentially four games. Keeps the game thread from getting too unwieldy to find comments about a specific game or series. Long enough so the sports forum isn't packed with short single game threads.

Apolgize if this was already covered in a previous post on this thread, but since COVID, WF has started every season with a couple of home weekend series against a group of middling midwest and/or northeastern teams (this year, WF opens with Fordham, Illinois and Akron). Can't remember where Walter said this, but in 2025 and 2026 WF will play in out of town early season marqee events. IIRC, the 2026 event will be played where the Astros play (Minute Maid Park). Those series usually involve SEC and Big 12 teams. Essentially, like the college football kickoff classic, but for college baseball.

Here is a summary of the 2024 Houston event set for the beginning of March:

The 24th Annual Astros Foundation College Classic returns to Minute Maid Park from March 1-3, 2024 and this year’s lineup is stacked. LSU, Texas, Texas State, University of Houston, the University of Louisiana – Lafayette, and Vanderbilt will take the field for the nine-game tournament. The Cougars and Bobcats kick the tournament off followed by Vandy and the Ragin’ Cajuns. The Texas Longhorns and LSU Tigers headline the 3-day tournament at 7:05 pm Friday night.
“We used to travel on those early weekends and we’re going to start to do that again next year,” Walter said. “We’re going to go to New Orleans for a tournament and we’ve got a tournament in the next year at Globe Life in Texas.”

Full story (scheduling stuff is at the bottom).

We officially have a GameDay forecast, via my weather app. Which, is the best weather app. (Wunderground/IBM)

50° with a 12 mph breeze towards right field porch.

... Kurtz may break the new video board with his first swing.

Hell yeah. Expecting my kids to show a lot more interest since going to Omaha. Hopefully they will want to watch ACCN or ESPN+ games.
My wife hates baseball - I just put it on last year and eventually she got into it. It helped that we were so good and she thinks the celebrations are dope.

She's excited for it this year now!

just tell me where the hell to go. A worked last year but I imagine there will be more folks this year. I say A but understand y’all are going to jinx it.

OK GUYS important decision we need to make, overall @Pilchard gets to choose.

how do we handle game threads for the season:

Option A: One thread for the entire year
Option B: One thread per week (weekend series + weekday games) + one season-long thread
Option C: One thread per weekend series + one ongoing thread for all mid-week games + one season-long thread
Option D: One thread per opponent + one season-long thread
Option E: One thread per game
Option F: Something else

I like Option C personally
Option A obviously and anyone who is an asshole enough to start a separate thread is RJ’d.

Back