• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Born in Iowa, grew up and went to high school in Miss.
From Stanford Bio...mom, dad and stepdad all played sports at Iowa...

Personal
  • Son of Marcus Montgomery and Gretchen and Richard Willock
  • Father played football at Iowa
  • Stepfather played football at Iowa
  • Mother ran track at Iowa
  • Uncle, Larry Montgomery, played football at Arizona State

Curious how you all think we’d use Montgomery. Is he a Sunday or weekday starter who otherwise plays OF/DH, a OF/DH who makes relief appearances? It sounds like he’s still pretty raw as a pitcher.

Curious how you all think we’d use Montgomery. Is he a Sunday or weekday starter who otherwise plays OF/DH, a OF/DH who makes relief appearances? It sounds like he’s still pretty raw as a pitcher.
Been wondering as well after reading a bit about him. And I guess that makes where he ends up a complicated picture. Could be that his immediate pitching ambitions are above where he actually is now and what some schools are willing to promise in terms of playing 2 ways.

Sounds from an article or two that I read that him moving on from Stanford was maybe partly due to playing a lot of DH in order to rest for possible relief appearances.

Put him in the lab and see where he is as a pitcher by February. My Hierarchy:
Mop up innings.
Long relief weekday
Long relief weekend
Midweek starter
Weekend starter.

sounds like his stuff is good but his results have been pretty bad. midweek makes the most sense to me since he probably needs pitching reps, plus it would allow him to entirely focus on pitching for that game and then focus on hitting and playing outfield in the weekend. feels like being a reliever would be tough on a two-way player because of the uncertainty (though we did do it with will craig as our closer one season).

Yeah I mean if he really throws 98 he's obviously gonna get plenty of lab time. I'd be interested to know how teams pitching his potential role may impact his decision given his two way college potential. His MLB potential seems to be firmly on the offensive side though reading through some scouting

Signing details for Johnson now out....well below slot while guy drafted in 11th after got half million...know Dickey is a younger but still hard to grasp the whole draft game.

Looks like Johnson got a smaller bonus by a fair amount than every Royal's pick signed so far through round 18.

10 (289): Justin Johnson, SS, Wake Forest -- $57,500 (Pick value: $170,600)

11 (319): Jared Dickey, OF, Tennessee -- $527,500

That’s a bummer for Johnson. $57k really isn’t that much.

it seems that the leverage of a junior is overstated because if the consensus is that you don't have leverage next year, then you don't really have it this year either

it seems that the leverage of a junior is overstated because if the consensus is that you don't have leverage next year, then you don't really have it this year either
Well it’s kind of different when you are a 5th year junior. The threat to go back to school is a lot less believable.

Plus, similar to other sports, MLB teams value youth when thinking about the potential of a player

I'm kinda surprised Johnson even got that much given he went in a slot round (top 10), I was expecting under $50k. I like most of the rules around MLB eligibility, but I do think the slot system is kinda silly with how punitive it is towards seniors. You can see the signing bonus for previous deacs drafted here (scroll down a bit): https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?key_school=e20db8eb&exact=1&query_type=key_school

The Miss. St insider guy said Burns and Montgomery had some type of existing relationship and Burns was trying to recruit him, no details on how they know each other though.

I'm kinda surprised Johnson even got that much given he went in a slot round (top 10), I was expecting under $50k. I like most of the rules around MLB eligibility, but I do think the slot system is kinda silly with how punitive it is towards seniors.

The Miss. St insider guy said Burns and Montgomery had some type of existing relationship and Burns was trying to recruit him, no details on how they know each other though.
these kids all know each other. Burns being from TN and Montgomery being from MS, I'm sure they've played on teams with and/or against each other

Both were PG All Americans... Both played in the Dulin's Dodgers program at some point. Lot of places they could have crossed

Last edited:
Back