• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

My Wake degree got me into my law school, which got me my LLM, which got me my career. I donate to all 3. Wake is the only one that I give to the athletic program.

Anyone know what percentage of MLB draft picks ultimately make it on the field of an actual MLB game?
Interesting read: The Chances of a Drafted Baseball Player Making the Major Leagues: A Quantitative Study

Here's the conclusion: The overall takeaway from this study is that, in the top five rounds, generally college players are much more valuable picks than high school players and college position players are more valuable than college pitchers. In the top five rounds, college players not only have a greater chance than high school players of making the major leagues and playing in the major leagues more than three years, but also more college players sign in proportion to high school players.

Ironically takes data from Rounds 1-20 between 1996-2011, when the draft was 50 rounds. This year's is the third year that it's only going to be 20 rounds (I think that'll be the case moving forward, not sure though).

I've long thought drafted HS pitchers should sign unless they're lowballed because of how frequently arms burn out.

Anyone know what percentage of MLB draft picks ultimately make it on the field of an actual MLB game?
Found this to be interesting: https://sabr.org/journal/article/th...aking-the-major-leagues-a-quantitative-study/

First rounders, 67% make it to the bigs, 47% make it 3+ years.
Second rounders, 49% make it, 32% make it 3+ years.
Third rounders, 40%
Fourth - 35%
Fifth - 33%
Six - 24%
Seventh - 20%
Eighth - 24%
Ninth - 18%
Tenth - 17%
11-15 - 13%
16-20 - 10%

That link has some fascinating cuts of data as well, breaking it out by high school/college pitcher/position player. Definitely worth a read.

I could see donating to my schools (not the athletic departments) at some point, i.e. When I have any money, but I tend to subscribe to the John Mulaney line of thinking. I figure I need my paycheck more than Wake (or my other schools) does.

Wake is a degree. in most fields it really doesn’t matter where the degree is from. So outside of maybe law school, the Wake degree thing is elitism.

That kid also was in a different…pre NIL environment.
Honestly, this is pretty true. I’ve worked at and attended schools of all types. If you do well, then you will be fine no matter where you went. The big thing that some schools can offer is an alumni network. The other thing that I think some schools offer directly at the undergrad level that some can’t is a lot of research opportunities (primarily in STEM. No undergrads can do work in my field for instance). The last big thing IMO is class size. But there are tons of schools where you can get small classes. In today’s day and age, the professors at top tier schools are hardly any different than those at no-name places. The academic job market is so bad that schools have their pick of Ivy League and equivalent candidates for every position. So your education has the potential to be phenomenal just about anywhere. The only thing I will say that is really in favor of higher tier schools is that you can go a lot faster in courses when students are of a higher caliber.

Why are you here?
Because I care about Wake Forest Sports? Seems like a prerequisite unlike creepy stalking people on twitter?

The point was we are making a lot of post-narratives statements of "should have gotten his degree" or "can't believe he went into the portal" when in life we all do the same shit. You be you 22.

Is the best way to support Wake baseball through Wake or Roll The Quad? Let’s assume for hypothetical purposes we are not talking about Kentner level donations.

Is the best way to support Wake baseball through Wake or Roll The Quad? Let’s assume for hypothetical purposes we are not talking about Kentner level donations.
This is a great question. I’m about to sign up for RTQ for $50/month. Does that make much of a difference?

Yeah, a little more optimistic about Morningstar and Bennett than I had seen before. I’m still expecting Bennett to be gone, but he is one of my favorites and would love to have him back.

Hoping the prospect of playing with his brother is enough of a pull for Hawke.

That's a solid read, CO. I think Hawke is in the middle tier, but I hope I'm wrong.
Most-interesting player to watch, IMO. I thought he was in first or second tier until they added his brother.

Yeah, a little more optimistic about Morningstar and Bennett than I had seen before. I’m still expecting Bennett to be gone, but he is one of my favorites and would love to have him back.

Hoping the prospect of playing with his brother is enough of a pull for Hawke.
Pierce really does add great value. Selfishly would love to have him back because he was great when talking to us after games.

Not sure which thread for this.

Was just looking at the combine invites. My kids HS has 3 pitchers projected in the top 130 to be drafted. In one HS, that’s just Absurd. Won state this past year.

Still No clue how they didn’t win it my kids senior year.

The "adding his brother" part is not new

Back