• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ Duke - Time to Break the Streak

throw-the-damn-towel-o.gif

So sad, so true, and so damn funny

I predict close loss at BC Tuesday win and Wednesday blowout loss

The first run through the ACC gauntlet for many of our players, and our coach. Towards the end of that the worst place to possibly go is Cameron.

Hopefully we can catch our breath and give it a good go in Greensboro

Before we all jump off the cliff, and not to justify this horror show, there has to be some perspective. Every team we've taken to dook has been a been better and had more talent than we took there tonight. There are some nice beat downs of highly ranked teams that were more painful than this garbage.

Losses at dook (and some others) since TD left

- 98 H 88-52 #2
- 98 A 78-47 #2
- 99 A 102-71 #1
- 00 A 96-78 #2
- 01 A 85-62 #2
- 02 A 102-80 #1 (Wake #14)
- 02 H 90-61 #3 (Wake #20)
- 03 A 74-55 #1 (Wake #17)
- 04 A 84-72 #2 (Wake #4)
- 05 A 102-92 #7 (Wake #5)
- 06 A 93-70 #2
- 07 A 62-40 #14
- 08 N/A
- 09 A 101-91 #9 (Wake #8)
- 10 A 90-70 #8
Bzzzz era more losses I'm not looking up (but not as bad as this)

2013-14 Wake Forest Demon Deacons Schedule

Sun, Jan 5 vs #19 North Carolina W 73-67

Wed, Jan 15 vs NC State W 70-69

Wed, Mar 5 vs #4 Duke W 82-72

(Just think about happier times.)

Are you arguing in support of [Redacted]?

Duke beat #10 Notre Dame by 30. They were up 50-24 at the half.

They shot 60% from deep in that game, they shot 52% in this one.

Duke is really good. When they are shooting over 50% from deep they are possibly the best team in the country. I know panicking is all the rage, but it was senior night at Cameron and we ran a starting lineup with 3 guys who'd never stepped foot in that place before. Not to mention Manning. We panicked, Duke caught fire. Hopefully we'll take the beating, crush BC, and win a couple games in the ACC tourney. That was a disaster but we're better than that.

Idiot spends time researching something he doesn't care about.

I know bob is trolling, but Manning took over a team that lost 52% of its scoring, somehow managed to replace most of that scoring with last minute additions, and has the program in the best place it's been since April 6, 2010. He's been on the job just over 10 months.

I decided to go drinking with some buddies instead of watching the game in real time. Holy. Shit. Not sure I wanna watch this. 52-15 at halftime?

No I'm arguing in support of sweeping the Big Four last year....which Bz did. So far, Manning has beaten NC State by 4 and lost by 13, lost to Carolina by 16, and lost to Duke by 8 & 43.

No he didn't. Wake lost to Duke in Durham 83-63, to NCSU in Raleigh 82-67 and to UNC in Chapel Hill 105-72.

Outside of those 3 games we went 4-13 in 2014 with a scoring margin of -9.3. Even with those games we were 7-13 down the stretch with a margin of -7.05.

Since Jan 1. of this year, outside of admittedly inexcusable blowouts to the second and third best teams in the country, we are 5-8 of -2.46 (with the blowouts we are 5-10 with a margin of -7.4).

I'd accuse you of being blinded by those 3 games because they came against rivals, but if you were really willing to let wins against the big 4 make for what was otherwise shit then you would have returned to watching Wake Basketball far sooner than you did.

And I knew better than to start this game thread.

I'm arguing in support of sweeping the Big Four last year....which Bz did. So far, Manning has beaten NC State by 4 and lost by 13, lost to Carolina by 16, and lost to Duke by 8 & 43.

But since you asked, yes, I think Bz is a better bench coach than Manning. Manning is a much, much better recruiter and will end up with much better players on the floor as a result of this....but so far he has shown me absolutely nothing as far as being able to coach those players once he gets them.

I had my doubts about Bz in year 1, but was willing to wait to see until he got his players in. Nothing changed. Getting rid of Bz was the right move - he couldn't bring in any talent. Let's see what Danny can do when he gets his guys in. Hopefully Bz didn't put us so far behind the 8-ball that Manning can't recover (which is what I fear)

I mean, we did almost win in Charlottesville a few weeks back. That would have been an absolutely incredible win.

We may have run out of gas, but I'm not even convinced that's the case. We were 18-point underdogs tonight in arguably the toughest place to play in the country. Does it really matter we lost by more? My answer is no, but maybe others feel differently.

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into this

We went down the road of recruiting sleepers and coaching them up. That strategy has led directly to where we are tonight. We bet the farm on the 7 player class and lost. Now, we have to rebuild with ACC level talent. That is the only way to go.

Last edited:
I mean, we did almost win in Charlottesville a few weeks back. That would have been an absolutely incredible win.

We may have run out of gas, but I'm not even convinced that's the case. We were 18-point underdogs tonight in arguably the toughest place to play in the country. Does it really matter we lost by more? My answer is no, but maybe others feel differently.

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into this

This is where I'm at, too.

It doesn't help that a lot of our production comes from freshmen. That, and a guy who many on here expected to be our best player and team leader turned out to be an immature clown who tends to quit on his own team when the going gets tough.

Devin Thomas
20 minutes, 0 points (0/2 FG, 0/2 TO), 1 reb, 0 ast/4 TO, 4 PF

Freshmen
18 points (7/21 FG, 4/11 3FG, 0/1 FT), 8 reb, 2 ast/3TO, 4 PF

Codi did okay tonight, all things considered.

Back