• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ Duke - Time to Break the Streak

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_f69bd93c-c2ef-11e4-811a-dfd40ecde6a1.html

3rd worst loss ever and the worst since the 1948-49 season, according to Dan.

"For awhile tonight, it looked like that record might be in jeopardy while the Deacons were managing points on just seven of their first 37 possessions. By halftime, they had more turnovers (16) than points and had been outscored 19-15 by a freshman, Grayson Allen, who entered the game averaging only 7.4 minutes a game."

wow

Lots of rushed shots last night....contested very consistently. Young Crab and MW seem more effective in a spot-up role. Dukes' 'D' looked that much the better with all the 'standing around' on our part last night.

Our own _efense is like a sieve in the lane. I can't recall such a season of the 'layup train' starring our opponents.
The issues with DT are concerning. There seems something emotional/psychological going on... significant at that. Hope the young man can pull it together.

One of the most frustrating/concerning things about this team.

I posted on the previous page if there was a common thread to Devin's last 6 games and it does not appear that anyone has an answer so I will provide it. All the crappy games that he has had have featured opposing big man and sometimes power forwards that are both bigger than Devin. He seems to struggle more so with size differential. Remember how lost he was against the Delaware state center. Just what it is.

I think he flat out gives up when things aren't going his way early in the game.

Yet we just got destroyed last night by a higher rates academic institution that is actively reinvesting in athletics.

You make my point for me. If the university administration is invested in athletics, then it is possible to be pretty good. If the administration, from the top down, is not interested, it is very difficult. Hatch has disinvested in Wake athletics, and Bob McCreary can only do so much to overcome that. When a new Wake administration is willing to put in as much as Hearn did, Wake will have a much better shot at winning.

You make my point for me. If the university administration is invested in athletics, then it is possible to be pretty good. If the administration, from the top down, is not interested, it is very difficult. Hatch has disinvested in Wake athletics, and Bob McCreary can only do so much to overcome that. When a new Wake administration is willing to put in as much as Hearn did, Wake will have a much better shot at winning.

Yeah. "Investments" like we've seen for football and for baseball merely shows that Wake will take people's money.

I'll do it for you. It will save us both a lot of grief.

(VaDeac, too, while I'm at it. He seems to be fixated on people's age & skin color. Think I have everything he has to say figured out by now.)

I'm sorry that a message board causes you such grief. Maybe you should get another, less stressful, hobby. I hear bird watching is fun. Or maybe stamp collecting or coin collecting or something like that.

I think its pretty dumb to assert that Hatch and therefore Wellman, don't care about athletics. They may have taken a different approach a few years ago (a wrong one, obviously) but acting like they simply don't care or are intentionally tanking it is preposterous.

The Mrs. and I had the occasion to grab a weeknight date last night and I announced a preference to go some place where I would be assured the game would be on. Sawmill Tap Room (special shout-out to BSD) has a substantial television in the dining room, which I respectfully asked the management to direct towards the Wake game. After an honest 15 clock (cf game) minutes of the Assistant to the Regional Manager fighting with the remote he settled, after firm but polite encouragement, on WRAL as a logical place for the game.

The first thing I see is 31-5.

I then asked him if he had any beheading PPVs on order, as it would be better to dinnertime entertainment then watching dook chuck in off-balance 35 footers, whilst being fouled, going into half. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.

I think its pretty dumb to assert that Hatch and therefore Wellman, don't care about athletics. They may have taken a different approach a few years ago (a wrong one, obviously) but acting like they simply don't care or are intentionally tanking it is preposterous.

-Grobe's assertion that he was promised certain concessions from admissions and administration that never materialized???
-[Redacted], coupled with the whisper campaign against Gaudio, and constant references to a changing culture that manifest itself in the refusal to recruit basketball players to Wake's standards???
-The decision to refuse to admit JUCOs to the baseball program after that route had been proven as a way to circumvent the high tuition and the problem of partial scholarships???

It may not be out and out tanking, but it's an undeniable pattern of decisions that limited Wake's chances of athletic success, and therefore show that athletic success just isn't a priority.

I don't know why people say DM inherited a team with only one Top 100 player. I believe the roster he inherited had 3 such players on it: CMM, Moto, and Shelton Mitchell.

The Moto for Leonard swap was such a huge downgrade. We really could have used another physical presence who could rebound, defend, and draw fouls.

DT obviously has trouble dealing with adversity but I wish it were as simple as him giving up on the season or having psychological issues going on. I see a player who has a ton of trouble dealing with double and triple teams. He clearly makes some bad decisions but I also don't see a player that is adequately prepared for the defenses that he faces. There's no excuse for his lack of effort at times but that effort seems to be a result of his struggles rather than the cause of it.

I really hope DM can help Devin turn it around. According to his ESPN scouting report, our top ranked recruit gets frustrated easily and needs to work on staying engaged and being more consistent. I'd like to think we have the right coach to deal with that kind of player but, apart from a few boiler plate sound bytes, that remains to be seen.

Moto wasn't a Top 100 player. He was after his Junior year of HS I believe, but he had a HUGE drop in the rankings. I'm also liking the Wilbekin for Mitchell swap right now.

S.Mitchell got 10 minutes of pt in Vandy's win last night. It is hard to figure why he went there in the first place. They have 3 freshmen guards playing well that are ahead of him.

There is a pretty big space between "don't care" and "sufficiently invested in all aspects to compete athletically in the current ACC." Hatch and by extension Wellman appears to be in that space somewhere. There appears to have been some decrease in support for athletics in ways that had impacted and may still be impacting the programs. That has put the Wake coaches and programs at something of a disadvantage, maybe not a huge one, but significant enough, to where the main revenue sports were unable to compete effectively.

Duke had a point to make to Harry Giles last night at our expense. I hope all 3 of their frosh go pro. If so, they could be a lot more beatable next season.

There is a pretty big space between "don't care" and "sufficiently invested in all aspects to compete athletically in the current ACC." Hatch and by extension Wellman appears to be in that space somewhere. There appears to have been some decrease in support for athletics in ways that had impacted and may still be impacting the programs. That has put the Wake coaches and programs at something of a disadvantage, maybe not a huge one, but significant enough, to where the main revenue sports were unable to compete effectively.

I think it's hard to even say decreased support with deacon tower, tennis center, buying the Joel and the new practice facility (not to mention student facilities)

Poor hiring decisions yes. decreased support? Eh.

I think it's hard to even say decreased support with deacon tower, tennis center, buying the Joel and the new practice facility (not to mention student facilities)

Poor hiring decisions yes. decreased support? Eh.

The unknown question is how much wiggle room the administration has given the coaches to deal with recruits. Grobe gave up, and Fuckface [Redacted] was completely incompetent, but the talent on both of the revenue sports has dropped dramatically from 2009 until now. Is that because the coaches just didn't get it done, or is that because the type of recruit that will be granted admission to Wake has changed?

That's still 5 fewer than Dino left behind in 2010. Coincidentally it's translated into 5 more wins. Go figure.

Yes, DM is better than one of the worst coaches to ever coach in the ACC. No argument from me.

Back