• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ Duke - Time to Break the Streak

Read the mission statement at the top of this page. If you don't like to read what I might post, that's why there is an ignore function available to you. Use it.

Read your user name and look at your avatar. If you don't like people mentioning Bob Knight in response to your posts, change your name and picture.

Of course, as I think about it, your childish profane rant in the earlier post is a perfect illustration of just the kind of man Bob Knight is and you aspire to be. Good job you!

Why play man defense against a far better team?
Do we not have a zone?
Or some trick stuff like triangle and two, box and one.

Manning has said he's laying a foundation this year. He is going to do the things that the program will do over the long haul. He's not going to do things that might help a little in the short term. The coach on the other team last night did the same thing at the beginning of his Duke tenure.

Sometimes you get your ass beat, you guys need to get a grip

I think you have these two reversed with respect to cause and effect. I rather think Hatch has de-emphasised athletics to make Wake a more "academic" institution. Wellman is carrying the policy. Hatch's mentor at Notre Dame, the late Fr. Hesburg did this at Notre Dame. Turned a men's "jock school" into a coed academic institution. Problem is, Wake was not Notre Dame with respect to athletics, so a drop from what Wake was is to way below what Notre Dame dropped to. This would also correlate with the tightened admissions standards and policies.

Also, the greater difficulty any student (not just athletes) has in transferring to Wake from junior colleges. Wake used to be relatively friendly to Juco transfer students in the student body. Apparently baseball was doing to well with these - many HS baseball players go Juco because of MLB draft rules - then transfer for their last two years. Wake used to get some of these. Paying half for Wake for one or two years is more financially do-able than four years.

Yet we just got destroyed last night by a higher rates academic institution that is actively reinvesting in athletics.

Yet we just got destroyed last night by a higher rates academic institution that is actively reinvesting in athletics.

In a weird twisted way it's kind of nice to have Duke and UVA around to debunk the myth the OWGs shove down our throats (when we suck, conveniently) that great academics and great athletics are mutually exclusive.

54f61bee7b7fc.image.jpg

THIS THREAD.

I'll do it for you. It will save us both a lot of grief.

(VaDeac, too, while I'm at it. He seems to be fixated on people's age & skin color. Think I have everything he has to say figured out by now.)

Yeah you're right I talk about skin color all the time.

The losses to UVA and Duke are among the worst in WF history. There is no leadership on the floor. DT has quit on the team. CMM had a horrible first half when we fell behind 52-15. It's time to turn the page next year and play the incoming freshmen with the freshmen on the team this year .

Margin of defeat means shit.

Coach K lost by 43 the final game of his third season. Maybe its an omen?

We truly do live and die by the 3. If Dinos, Crab, and Mitch aren't hitting, our 2 best players are too one-dimensional to pick up the slack. If you scout Devin well and have good coaching, more times than not you can neutralize him. But what the hell, these are things we all know.

Crab's shooting motion was really bad last night. He was all off-balance and was landing differently every time. Reminded me of Rondale's high school tape.

So, you don't care whether we lose by 43 or 3?

Nope.

I'd rather lose by more because it pisses the players off and gets them angry to go out and redeem themselves the next game. Close losses linger and make you feel like shit

Lots of rushed shots last night....contested very consistently. Young Crab and MW seem more effective in a spot-up role. Dukes' 'D' looked that much the better with all the 'standing around' on our part last night.

Our own _efense is like a sieve in the lane. I can't recall such a season of the 'layup train' starring our opponents.

The issues with DT are concerning. There seems something emotional/psychological going on... significant at that. Hope the young man can pull it together.

I'd rather lose by more because it pisses the players off and gets them angry to go out and redeem themselves the next game. Close losses linger and make you feel like shit

Lol. That's just, well, dumb.

Lose by 43: "I'm pissed. We got our asses beat and we weren't even close to competing. Time to get in the gym and get better so that we can lose by only 23 (Jordan's number! OMG!!!) next time!!!???!!!!!"

Lose by 3: "I'm pissed. Time to get better and starting winning!"

Last edited:
Lots of rushed shots last night....contested very consistently. Young Crab and MW seem more effective in a spot-up role. Dukes' 'D' looked that much the better with all the 'standing around' on our part last night.

Our own _efense is like a sieve in the lane. I can't recall such a season of the 'layup train' starring our opponents.

The issues with DT are concerning. There seems something emotional/psychological going on... significant at that. Hope the young man can pull it together.

Some sanity.

I posted on the previous page if there was a common thread to Devin's last 6 games and it does not appear that anyone has an answer so I will provide it. All the crappy games that he has had have featured opposing big man and sometimes power forwards that are both bigger than Devin. He seems to struggle more so with size differential. Remember how lost he was against the Delaware state center. Just what it is.

I don't know why people say DM inherited a team with only one Top 100 player. I believe the roster he inherited had 3 such players on it: CMM, Moto, and Shelton Mitchell.

The Moto for Leonard swap was such a huge downgrade. We really could have used another physical presence who could rebound, defend, and draw fouls.

DT obviously has trouble dealing with adversity but I wish it were as simple as him giving up on the season or having psychological issues going on. I see a player who has a ton of trouble dealing with double and triple teams. He clearly makes some bad decisions but I also don't see a player that is adequately prepared for the defenses that he faces. There's no excuse for his lack of effort at times but that effort seems to be a result of his struggles rather than the cause of it.

I really hope DM can help Devin turn it around. According to his ESPN scouting report, our top ranked recruit gets frustrated easily and needs to work on staying engaged and being more consistent. I'd like to think we have the right coach to deal with that kind of player but, apart from a few boiler plate sound bytes, that remains to be seen.

Back