• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ VT (10/14), 3:30PM on ACC Network

I wonder what RTQ has done to leverage donors. I know about them because of this board but none of my friends do. I understand they may be hitting up DC members, but those are usually people who can take advantage of tickets because of proximity. There doesn’t appear to have been outreach to all alums with a clear message, unless I missed it.

Agreed. You would think Wake could provide them an e mail list. Some of my most affluent alum friends live too far away to be in the DC or get season tickets.

Way too early for Clawson discussion. At least let the season end and confirm your belief that this will be a losing football season.

The Supreme Court ruled that compensation for players was only fair given the enormous profits the universities were receiving. Paying the players a fair wage for their efforts was considered unaffordable by the universities, despite large financial benefits offered by the media to broadcast games. That money was filling the pockets and coffers of the universities. However that option would have provided a uniform means of compensation that was equitable to the players and would have minimized the discrepancy of compensation provided the players. Bags of money would still be a part of the game but it could lead to consequences. NIL was the answer the universities preferred. University participation was prohibited, allowing each school to continue enriching themselves. Collectives were formed to compensate the players with the cost of compensation being absorbed by fans, alumni and businesses. The NCAA and the universities ceded control of the matter and the wild west/pay for play ensued. The highest bidder wins became the point of recruitment. The inherent disadvantages of such an arrangement need not be addressed nor discussed.

Not a bad deal for the Universities and the NCAA. That TV money stays in their pockets and coffers and the cost of player compensation fell to the fans, alumni and business. Unchecked capitalism where anything goes. That's a racket the Mob would love if they could only get a piece of the action.

P.T. Barnum was right.
Yeah, but going to discuss it here for a sec anyway:
I still think NIL as currently (non)constructed would eventually ruin college football, which is why I think they will eventually come up with some half-assed guardrails so that doesn't happen.
But imagine if by some court ruling NIL is approved for the NFL. I can't fathom what the "collective" for a team like the Dallas Cowboys would be, with its millions of nation-wide bandwagoners pitching in $100 plus all that big-booster oil money; could easily see well over a $billion for them to throw at whomever they want on the free agent market. Our little ol' Panthers with their banking and NASCAR $$ would be relegated to permanent Kansas City Royals if not Oakland A's territory faster than Wake Forest's decline in the QB room.

I wonder what RTQ has done to leverage donors. I know about them because of this board but none of my friends do. I understand they may be hitting up DC members, but those are usually people who can take advantage of tickets because of proximity. There doesn’t appear to have been outreach to all alums with a clear message, unless I missed it.
Roll The Quad has a marketing partnership currently with Learfield that was supposed to be designed to spread the word to the entire Deacon fanbase through University assets - everything a collective can do with a school has to be done as a sponsor since the collective is considered a third-party (email blasts, videos in stadium, activations at games, using University marks, etc).
Agreed. You would think Wake could provide them an e mail list. Some of my most affluent alum friends live too far away to be in the DC or get season tickets.

The University technically isn't allowed to provide an email list.

Roll The Quad has a marketing partnership currently with Learfield that was supposed to be designed to spread the word to the entire Deacon fanbase through University assets - everything a collective can do with a school has to be done as a sponsor since the collective is considered a third-party (email blasts, videos in stadium, activations at games, using University marks, etc).

The University technically isn't allowed to provide an email list.
I am not trying to be critical but I don’t think Learfield has gotten word out to wealthy donors outside of the SE. I have friends in Boston who actually are Deacon Club members, have gone to bowl games and had no idea this existed. Nevermind people who are disengaged from DC stuff. Just some feedback for a common goal.

I am not trying to be critical but I don’t think Learfield has gotten word out to wealthy donors outside of the SE. I have friends in Boston who actually are Deacon Club members, have gone to bowl games and had no idea this existed. Nevermind people who are disengaged from DC stuff. Just some feedback for a common goal.
do they own a wine shop

I mean Wake has been in/near the top ten the last two years in FOOTBALL. That's insane.

This is a down year for sure, but there shouldn't even be an inkling of getting rid of Clawson. Let's see how we bounceback and learn from what happened this year. Obviously if the downward trend continues then questions will need to be asked, but it's a 3-3 start after losing a Heisman caliber QB. Almost certainly will be a no-bowl game year, which is frustrating given what it took to get to this level.

if our boston wine merchant survives his parking lot battle with a Tier 3 gin soaked attorney we'll be sure to make introductions!!!
I will actually be at the game Saturday, so I'm concerned that I am mistaken for Numbers and will be forced to defend the family name with some hand throwin'.

None taken and appreciate the feedback! Any introductions you're open to making would be most appreciated :)

Back