• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '23-'24 Roster Construction Thread: +Miller, Sallis, Reid, & Canka

Well fuck! Bobi leaving is so "Wake Forest".

Don’t get too down. According to the Wake Forest Way, had he returned, he would’ve massively failed to live up to expectations. So we avoided that and all the anxiety that leads up to it.

I get what you are saying, but, looking at his situation from the outside with so special insight at all, it would be idiotic for him to leave at this time without a solid likelihood of going in the first round, or, at an absolute minimum, near the top of the second. By all accounts he would be projected to have a big year at Wake next year and, with anything close to the expected level of continued development, move solidly into the first round. The difference between that scenario and playing overseas would be many millions of dollars. Sure, you have to put up with one more year of school (horrors!) and likely only high 5-figures to low 6-figures in NIL money, but the payout would be worth it...

So logic would tell me he either (i) got some sort of guarantee from one or more NBA teams that makes him feel comfortable with his future, or (ii) he has no confidence in his ability to develop and make a jump next year, or (iii) he doesn't care about money and would be fine going back to Europe and playing for much less. My bet would be (i).
What the fuck NBA team is giving a first-round guaranty to a guy who barely even played? That is ludicrous. Granted I follow the NBA much more than college basketball these days, but even my sorry Hornets have only had 2 or 3 formal workouts at this point, and it is mostly guys who will probably never get drafted, jut bottom-tier guys to get their workout process down. NBA teams don't get serious until after the combine - hell, they don't even know the draft order yet. Nobody has promised him anything.

Guys, it's past time to throw in the towel on college athletics. At least past time getting emotionally invested in them.

I'll continue to be a surface level fan and give a little money to our NIL Collective until we are booted outta a power conference.
Well this is not on the Creamy brand.

I mean, I guess. But if UNC, State, Duke, UVA and Clemson all go to a super conference, I just couldn't get too excited about building a rivalry with UNCG.

Also, what will ruin it for me is if we aren't able to compete for the same national championships that UNC, Clemson, etc are competing for.

If we are in our own little regional conference but can still compete for the highest level of Championships, I could get behind it.
Duke is probably going to get left behind. There is going to be two major conferences at the end of this and neither the Big Ten or SEC are going to saddle themselves with two NC schools.

What the fuck NBA team is giving a first-round guaranty to a guy who barely even played? That is ludicrous. Granted I follow the NBA much more than college basketball these days, but even my sorry Hornets have only had 2 or 3 formal workouts at this point, and it is mostly guys who will probably never get drafted, jut bottom-tier guys to get their workout process down. NBA teams don't get serious until after the combine - hell, they don't even know the draft order yet. Nobody has promised him anything.
I agree with you - that is why none of it makes any sense. Unless you realize we are talking about Wake Forest basketball and then all logic goes out the window and players leave just because.

All this hand wringing about Bobi is annoying the heck out of me. Forbes has proven he can identify talent in the portal. He's going to get a solid player to fill that scholarship. Bank on it. I wish Bobi all the best moving forward, but at the end of the day I want players on the roster who want to be at Wake. There is still going to be a logjam for minutes even with Bobi's departure. And Forbes is chomping at the bit to land the next highly regarded portal transfer.

the charlotte hornets come to mind

Embrace the suck. Love the suck. In the same vain that the Deltas embraced Double Secret Probation.
“They’re gonna nail us no matter what we do. So we might as well have a good time”

We are irrelevant. Even if we win in perpetuity.
It’s a lovey distraction from watching fascists infiltrate every level of our republic.
So have a pint, throw on a toga and a foam finger. And shut the fuck up and quit your griping

Good luck Bobi, you lanky Swede. Make us kinda proud. Or whatever. Don’t. I won’t be watching either way.
Hope Forbes can find a portal gem to make next year more entertaining. Maybe even make a second round or something. Idk. Take my 10$/month for NIL and buy one of these kids some Putters.

All this hand wringing about Bobi is annoying the heck out of me. Forbes has proven he can identify talent in the portal. He's going to get a solid player to fill that scholarship. Bank on it. I wish Bobi all the best moving forward, but at the end of the day I want players on the roster who want to be at Wake. There is still going to be a logjam for minutes even with Bobi's departure. And Forbes is chomping at the bit to land the next highly regarded portal transfer.
Champing. It's Champing at the bit

Embrace the suck. Love the suck. In the same vain that the Deltas embraced Double Secret Probation.
“They’re gonna nail us no matter what we do. So we might as well have a good time”

It’s a lovey distraction from watching fascists infiltrate every level of our republic.
So have a pint, throw on a toga and a foam finger. And shut the fuck up and quit your griping

Good luck Bobi, you lanky Swede. Make us kinda proud. Or whatever. Don’t. I won’t be watching either way.
Hope Forbes can find a portal gem to make next year more entertaining. Maybe even make a second round or something. Idk. Take my 10$/month for NIL and buy one of these kids some Putters.
Lol nailed it. This is pretty much the correct way to look at it.

I have a hard time getting worked up about news that something may have hurt Wake basketball. It's not like we are any good. We aren't particularly relevant. Something bad always happens to ruin any good vibes anyway.

There is never any hope...

What is the something about the student experience at Wake that is different/worse in the eyes of an athlete than the experience at UNC/Duke/elsewhere? There has to be something right?

What explains why our guys always leave just a bit before they’re ready to dominate for us, while UNC and Duke have guys on draft boards that regularly return even after being big time college contributors?

What is the something about the student experience at Wake that is different/worse in the eyes of an athlete than the experience at UNC/Duke/elsewhere? There has to be something right?

What explains why our guys always leave just a bit before they’re ready to dominate for us, while UNC and Duke have guys on draft boards that regularly return even after being big time college contributors?
They have to actually go to classes at Wake instead of NC Central. In addition, they aren’t always BMOC at Wake since there are less people and, due to that, less people care who they are, including in the community.

At the end of the day, I want players that win games and championships for Wake Forest even if they were lifelong Carolina fans and will bolt to the NBA as soon as they can.

They have to actually go to classes at Wake instead of NC Central. In addition, they aren’t always BMOC at Wake since there are less people and, due to that, less people care who they are, including in the community.
Also guys like Bobi and LaRavia are going to get picked in the draft.

The UNC squad, those guys just don't have NBA futures (especially Bacot). There wasn't much of an appetite for Roach in the NBA. Proctor kind of ended up being a weird case because coming back doesn't hurt him. Bobi was older than a traditional rising sophomore because he's already 20. Proctor doesn't turn 20 until April of next year so he's still pretty young by the time he actually fully jumps into a class that's ripe for the picking.

Back