• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Forbes made this point and is right. If we beat Utah in Charleston would/could have played Houston and St. Johns (and maybe our season turns out different). instead we got LSU and Towson.

Seems like a stretch... we went 1-2 against Utah, Towson, and LSU; is that better than going 0-3 against Utah, Houston, and St. John's?

Forbes made this point and is right. If we beat Utah in Charleston would/could have played Houston and St. Johns (and maybe our season turns out different). instead we got LSU and Towson.
I mean just beating Utah would have been another Q1 win and a tremendous help. Avoiding the LSU bad loss would have also been great even if we lost to both Houston and St Johns.

However, if your strength of schedule being decent vs. bad depends on you winning the first game of your nonconference tournament, your scheduling strategy stinks.

Seems like a stretch... we went 1-2 against Utah, Towson, and LSU; is that better than going 0-3 against Utah, Houston, and St. John's?
1-2 against Utah, Houston, and St John's would have been much better than what happened, yes. Obviously 0-3 against Utah/Houston/St Johns would have been impossible.

i guess the Utah game was the first of many blown double digit leads

Wasn't there something weird with Kugel like attitude problems or something that led to him getting benched for a while? Am I just making that up?

Not to say we shouldn't take him anyways, just trying to remember what went down with him

Wasn't there something weird with Kugel like attitude problems or something that led to him getting benched for a while? Am I just making that up?

Not to say we shouldn't take him anyways, just trying to remember what went down with him
Maybe a closet Florida fan like @DeacsATS can elaborate but game log this year is a little strange. He started the first 11 games then came off the bench the rest of the way. A few games with very low minutes played. Was there an injury?

I watched most of Florida’s games (have a kid there and another kid at Northwestern). He just seemed to find himself in Coach Todd Golden’s doghouse. Sometimes his body language seemed to indicate that he wasn’t fully engaged. Other times he seemed very discouraged by his own play (he was 0-18 on 3’s during one stretch) and got into a funk. He was pre-season All-SEC, yet found himself playing behind Zyon Pullin and Walter Clayton, Jr.

A change of scenery will benefit him greatly, and he’d absolutely explode under Forbes. He’s a really good kid who simply felt pressured by high expectations and frustrated by decreased playing time.

He’s an incredible athlete with great strength. Loves to run - and can sky. We’d be fortunate to get him, but we’ll have tons of competition. I expect several SEC schools to be banging on his door. Although his PT decreased, SEC coaches are very familiar with him.

I’ll be friggin stoked if he ends up at Wake as he has potential to be All-ACC.

do highly ranked high school players that got big NIL deals coming into college get them pulled if they don't play up to expectations?

Posted this on the recruiting thread back on 2/27 about Kugel:

Kugel has been getting fewer minutes because the perception is he's a ball stopper on offense and he also has difficulty finishing at the rim (which is weird given his size). If his 3 point shot isn't falling, he isn't helping your offense. Golden is an efficiency guy and I think he believes the offense flows better without Kugel dominating the ball.

But he certainly has talent... No disputing that.

I've heard rumors of other issues, but they all seem to be typical message board stuff where people speculate on why somebody isn't playing. I think it was just as simple as UF was better when he wasn't playing as much.

If Forbes wants him... Great! I doubt he'd bring in anyone with baggage.

I watched most of Florida’s games (have a kid there and another kid at Northwestern). He just seemed to find himself in Coach Todd Golden’s doghouse. Sometimes his body language seemed to indicate that he wasn’t fully engaged. Other times he seemed very discouraged by his own play (he was 0-18 on 3’s during one stretch) and got into a funk. He was pre-season All-SEC, yet found himself playing behind Zyon Pullin and Walter Clayton, Jr.

A change of scenery will benefit him greatly, and he’d absolutely explode under Forbes. He’s a really good kid who simply felt pressured by high expectations and frustrated by decreased playing time.

He’s an incredible athlete with great strength. Loves to run - and can sky. We’d be fortunate to get him, but we’ll have tons of competition. I expect several SEC schools to be banging on his door. Although his PT decreased, SEC coaches are very familiar with him.

I’ll be friggin stoked if he ends up at Wake as he has potential to be All-ACC.

Just asked the Florida fan here in the office. He says that the guy is athletic as hell, but not much of a ball handler and that he is a low basketball IQ guy. He says that the offense will be flowing and the ball will be moving, but every time the ball hits his hands the possession stagnates.

Back