• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

We'll never have depth if we can't keep guys that we've brought in and develop them. McCray is 6'4. He could have found 15 productive/mins per game this year.
We’re an ACC team so we can bring in talent but we don’t have the pedigree to convince talented players to come off the bench

We'll never have depth if we can't keep guys that we've brought in and develop them. McCray is 6'4. He could have found 15 productive/mins per game this year.
Those days are long gone in college basketball. Not just at wake.

Would love to get Forbes off the record take on McCray. He was such an elite athlete and strong. Putting aside his offensive numbers at Jacksonville, he had the body to play with Leggett.

Before the transfer portal/NIL era when everyone is expected to contibute right away, he was the type of kid that would develop to a power conference contributor over time. Know OGB disagrees, but think he be back in a Power Conference before his college career ends.

FWIW, Jacksonville did play Purdue this year and McCray scored 22. They also played Pitt (the Panthers rolled), McCray had 9 points and 3 boards.

Looks to me like he saw portal guys brought in over top of him and he decided to move in search of starter minutes. He got them this season.

McCray entered the portal on 3/14/23. Right when the season ended and before we brought in other players. I would assume his end of season conversation with Forbes made transferring the best possible option. But he did redshirt pretty early on, so perhaps he knew what he was doing at that point and just stuck around to play on the scout team.

Pilchard... Was just going through last year's roster construction thread and I just noticed that you highlighted Boopie Miller on 3/13/23 (the day he entered the portal) as a player to watch.

How in the hell did you know that?

The announcements of Taylor and McCray entering the portal last year happened within about 30 minutes of each other and were met with a collective yawn by OGBoards. These transfers were largely expected and less than 24 hours later we were all knee deep in Boopie Miller highlight reels.

McCray entered the portal on 3/14/23. Right when the season ended and before we brought in other players. I would assume his end of season conversation with Forbes made transferring the best possible option. But he did redshirt pretty early on, so perhaps he knew what he was doing at that point and just stuck around to play on the scout team.
Manman and Appleby had been brought in out of the portal his freshman and sophomore years.

Sallis is a fringe first round pick, IMHO. After #20 it’s a crapshoot, so if there’s risk that he could fall into the 2nd round, I’d think there’s at least a decent chance that he will be back. Also believe that Forbes maybe got the memo on depth - he would be foolish not to replace 3-4 current scholarship players with other options in the portal.

The saddest part of this season aside from our painful and borderline predictable collapse, IMHO, is Damari. I think we saw him play his last college basketball game and I’m not sure what his prospects will be overseas. Such a shame that someone with that much talent had the injury bug. Absolutely hate it for him.

A shooter, true PG and athletic forward need be high priority for us in the portal. Let’s see if Forbes can strike gold again - I believe he can, but it’s going to become a lot more difficult if we don’t make it to the dance next year and I doubt reloading every year is sustainable.

The announcements of Taylor and McCray entering the portal last year happened within about 30 minutes of each other and were met with a collective yawn by OGBoards. These transfers were largely expected and less than 24 hours later we were all knee deep in Boopie Miller highlight reels.
Just find a 6ft. 9 inch 220 pound banger. Our front court is simply too soft and finesse style players.

Curious what it would take to get Sallis to return. Under normal circumstances I’d put him at 0.0% chance of returning but perhaps NIL could get him to stick around. What does an All ACC player command in that market?
I am just a rando message board poster. I don't imagine that Sallis' decision will be influenced by what Wake can offer him. It will be determined by what the NBA will offer him.

Robert McCray was a 3-star recruit and transferred to Jacksonville. You have to get guys like him to buy in. We even redshirted him an entire year.
Well, you need to get recruits that are good enough to stick around before worrying about if they buy in or not. McCray and Taylor may have found success at the very lowest levels of D1, but that doesn't mean they were ever going to be successful at Wake.

I'd rather see Forbes just stop taking guys like McCray/Taylor/Clark than try to force feed them minutes in order to develop them into their ceiling of being the 7th or 8th best player on the team as an upperclassman. Take high schoolers that you can reasonably expect to be in the rotation by the time they are at the end of their freshman year and use the portal to fill in the gaps.

Because they got no run. I was pretty unhappy though because McCray's (McCrazy's) athleticism was off-the-charts, he came from a hooping family, and he had good size.

Would love to get Forbes off the record take on McCray. He was such an elite athlete and strong. Putting aside his offensive numbers at Jacksonville, he had the body to play with Leggett.

Before the transfer portal/NIL era when everyone is expected to contibute right away, he was the type of kid that would develop to a power conference contributor over time. Know OGB disagrees, but think he be back in a Power Conference before his college career ends.

FWIW, Jacksonville did play Purdue this year and McCray scored 22. They also played Pitt (the Panthers rolled), McCray had 9 points and 3 boards.
Also had 9 turnovers against Purdue, and 2/3 of his scoring came in the second half when they were down by 30.

In the first half against Pitt, he was 0-4 from the field, 2 rbs, 1 foul, 1 TO, 0 pts. He scored his first point with 8:39 remaining when they were down 74-37, so I don't put a whole lot of stock into his performance that game.

Against UCF, he was 2-8 in the first half, 3-4 from the line, 3 rbs, 1 ast, 1 TO, 2 fouls, 7 pts. They were, once again, down 30 at halftime. (First points came when they were down 19-2).

McCray was 14th in all-conference voting in the ASUN, ranked #26/33 in Ken Pom's conference rankings. I expect that's good enough to get back to a P6 program. Maybe he'll get there and shock me, but I'm not going to lose sleep over a guy whose likely ceiling is as a 9th or 10th man on a top-30 team.

Pilchard... Was just going through last year's roster construction thread and I just noticed that you highlighted Boopie Miller on 3/13/23 (the day he entered the portal) as a player to watch.

How in the hell did you know that?
Good catch. Boopie fit what we were trying to find and he had three years left. Also, it helps to have some sauces...

Also had 9 turnovers against Purdue, and 2/3 of his scoring came in the second half when they were down by 30.

In the first half against Pitt, he was 0-4 from the field, 2 rbs, 1 foul, 1 TO, 0 pts. He scored his first point with 8:39 remaining when they were down 74-37, so I don't put a whole lot of stock into his performance that game.

Against UCF, he was 2-8 in the first half, 3-4 from the line, 3 rbs, 1 ast, 1 TO, 2 fouls, 7 pts. They were, once again, down 30 at halftime. (First points came when they were down 19-2).

McCray was 14th in all-conference voting in the ASUN, ranked #26/33 in Ken Pom's conference rankings. I expect that's good enough to get back to a P6 program. Maybe he'll get there and shock me, but I'm not going to lose sleep over a guy whose likely ceiling is as a 9th or 10th man on a top-30 team.
To be fair, we could use a guy like that.

All of those games were in November and December, and essentially, this was the first college basketball that McCray had played. McCray has a high ceiling (which is why WF and Florida offered him out of HS). McCray really improved as the year went on, and his speed and strength translate to a high level of basketball. Don't care if you lose sleep over McCray or not, but he has the talent to be better (a lot better than) 9th or 10th man.

Back