• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU @ Louisville – Sat 10/29 – 3:30 ACCN

Yeah, the facilities argument is a fair one, I didn't intend to place the blame solely on Grobe for those years.

But as a fan, I'd be hugely disappointed for Wake to return to its historical levels in the next 5 years, and I would be fine with moving on from Clawson were that to occur. So I'd imagine fans felt the same way in the early 2010s, particularly fans that didn't have memories of Wake football from the 80s and 90s.
Grobe was in the latter part of his career. He saw there wasn't the support the thought necessary to recruit top talent and sort of mailed it in. Snot bubbles and all. Grateful to Grobe for our ACC Championship and some exciting years. But it's not like he elevated the program. He benefited greatly from a third-string QB that almost wasn't offered and wasn't sniffing PT until some injuries and a defense that was loaded with diamonds in the rough. I remember being crazy frustrated with his in game decisions and overall philosophy. Fucking Lobo.

Yeah, the facilities argument is a fair one, I didn't intend to place the blame solely on Grobe for those years.

But as a fan, I'd be hugely disappointed for Wake to return to its historical levels in the next 5 years, and I would be fine with moving on from Clawson were that to occur. So I'd imagine fans felt the same way in the early 2010s, particularly fans that didn't have memories of Wake football from the 80s and 90s.
Yeah Grobe was wearing out his welcome at the end. Expectations have been raised and a lot of it is because of younger fans like you and you don't really know how bad it was and that is a GOOD thing! I do worry about the future of Wake Forest football though if we do end up with a couple of "super" conferences and everything else is basically a mid-major level, because I'm afraid we get left out in the cold of that deal.

This is the best possible time Wake could ever have chosen to be good at football for the realignment issue. That said, it probably doesn't end up mattering if we go to super conferences because Wake is clearly the odd team out of the current P5 if we end up going to 64 teams (4 conferences with 16 teams apiece).

Grobe was in the latter part of his career. He saw there wasn't the support the thought necessary to recruit top talent and sort of mailed it in. Snot bubbles and all. Grateful to Grobe for our ACC Championship and some exciting years. But it's not like he elevated the program. He benefited greatly from a third-string QB that almost wasn't offered and wasn't sniffing PT until some injuries and a defense that was loaded with diamonds in the rough. I remember being crazy frustrated with his in game decisions and overall philosophy. Fucking Lobo.
That's simply not true. Yes, it was disappointing end to his career, but he did elevate the program. Clawson has as much said he isn't here if not for Grobe showing what the program could be capable of.

Grobe was in the latter part of his career.

Grobe was in his late-50s. It certainly didn't have to be the "latter part" of his career. Clawson is 55 right now and we don't think he'll be shutting it down anytime soon.

This is the best possible time Wake could ever have chosen to be good at football for the realignment issue. That said, it probably doesn't end up mattering if we go to super conferences because Wake is clearly the odd team out of the current P5 if we end up going to 64 teams (4 conferences with 16 teams apiece).
Meh. Wake only gets left out in that scenario if the ACC is not one of those 4 conferences. If Vandy can manage not to get kicked out of the SEC in today's era, then Wake would surely not be kicked out of the ACC.

The ACC is the 3rd conference. The question is if there will be 3 conferences. But the Big XII and Pac-12 also seem to be having good seasons at an opportune time. Of course, it would be better for the Pac-12 if USC and UCLA weren't planning to leave.

Yeah nobody is going to get kicked out but since the SEC clearly isn't going anywhere Vandy is safe. Same with Rutgers and Northwestern in the Big 10. Best case for Wake is the ACC is proactive on expansion ASAP

Grobe was in his late-50s. It certainly didn't have to be the "latter part" of his career. Clawson is 55 right now and we don't think he'll be shutting it down anytime soon.
Clawson sure does seem a lot younger than Grobe. I think Clawson is just a really good evolution from Jim Grobe. I think he represents the program with the same class, but he has an energy Grobe didn't, he doesn't have the problem of being loyal to a fault Grobe did and while he understands the challenges at Wake, he doesn't believe those challenges limit the potential.

I was talking about that with a friend during the Army game. We couldn't figure out if Clawson seems younger than Grobe because Clawson has boyish looks whereas Grobe looks like a guy who has always been old. Or if it's because we're that much older.

Here's a clip of Grobe in 1986 as an Air Force assistant.

From what I remember of that time after the OB, recruiting didn’t “drop off” per say, we started taking more chances on high 3* recruits with character issues or at least players who weren’t a good fit in the program. When I arrived at Wake it was a big hyped deal that Grobe redshirted every recruit no matter what. That was the Wake Forest recruiting system. At the time Grobe left we were having yearly attrition from unhappy underclassmen who weren’t getting the PT they thought they deserved.

I was talking about that with a friend during the Army game. We couldn't figure out if Clawson seems younger than Grobe because Clawson has boyish looks whereas Grobe looks like a guy who has always been old. Or if it's because we're that much older.

Here's a clip of Grobe in 1986 as an Air Force assistant.

Yeah, I think that's a good point. Plus, Clawson has so much more energy on the sidelines. Grobe was a laid back type of guy, Clawson burns off some calories during a game.

I remember some of the major weaknesses of our program is that Josh Harris never came close to fulfilling his potential, and our run game was very inconsistent. We also had a weak secondary that got beat in man coverage all the time, which we tried to make up for by playing off the LOS.

If you watch that clip, Grobe kneels down probably in between grass picks.

I remember some of the major weaknesses of our program is that Josh Harris never came close to fulfilling his potential, and our run game was very inconsistent. We also had a weak secondary that got beat in man coverage all the time, which we tried to make up for by playing off the LOS.
Remember the Va. Tech game, when Tech still had a great defense and he ran all over them? Yeah we lost, but I thought Josh Harris was going to break every rushing record here after that game.

Josh Harris and Tommy Bohanon were two guys back then that had sky high expectations, but they accomplished more in the weight room than on the field.

Josh Harris and Tommy Bohanon were two guys back then that had sky high expectations, but they accomplished more in the weight room than on the field.
Not sure I agree with Tommy, he accomplished about as much as player in a dying position could I think. Spent time in the league too. Plus, I know Tommy a little bit, don't dis my man!

I disagree completely, MDMH. Harris was a good RB and Bohannon was money on short yardage. Complain about how they were used but both were productive.

Back