• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

Third night this year at Red Rocks is in the books: Brandi Carlile with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra.

Mavis Staples was the opener.

Enjoyed the show a lot more than I thought I would. The symphony added such a beautiful richness to the songs. Crowd was exactly what you’d expect at a Brandi Carlile show, but all jokes aside, her fans were really into the music and not very chatty compared to most Denver crowds.

ended up on doing Friday at Pitchfork

I think I may retire from festivals, guys

Yes, plenty, though it's a great album and has held up well after 30 something years.

It was a leading question trying to get people to post great/better debut albums. So don't just say yes, offer an alternative. I want to know and listen.

It was a leading question trying to get people to post great/better debut albums. So don't just say yes, offer an alternative. I want to know and listen.

Whatever people say I am... - Arctic Monkeys
College Dropout - Kanye
Illmatic - Nas
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
Is this It - The Strokes
The Clash - The Clash
Appetite for Destruction - GnR
Ready to Die - Notorious BIG
Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
Are you Experienced - Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
License to Ill - Beastie Boys
Horses - Patti Smith
Music from Big Pink - the Band

Last edited:
College Dropout - Kanye
Illmatic - Nas
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
Is this It - The Strokes
The Clash - The Clash
Illmatic - Beastie Boys
Horses - Patti Smith

Bro, I know that the Beastie Boys are the 80's reincarnation of Elvis Presley but are we legit just giving them Illmatic now?

Somehow I waited until I turned 40 to get really into Kate Bush.

i'm on a tear with ty segall lately, mostly just going through the This Is Ty Segall playlist on spotify, but have dug in to the Melted record too

anybody else here dig? more places i should look? his catalog is huge

College Dropout - Kanye
Illmatic - Nas
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
Is this It - The Strokes
The Clash - The Clash
Illmatic - Beastie Boys
Horses - Patti Smith

I disagree with the beastie boys selection.

Bro, I know that the Beastie Boys are the 80's reincarnation of Elvis Presley but are we legit just giving them Illmatic now?

That's my bad - edited the original list.

I disagree with the beastie boys selection.

You disagree that it's a better debut than Surfer Rosa? First rap/hip hop album to reach number 1, 6 or 7 singles, 10 Million sales (certified Diamond)..huge album in it's day with an enduring legacy.

xpn_fest_21_poster_3_day_9_13.jpg

Going for Saturday and Sunday. I really only know: Tedeschi Trucks, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, Ani Difranco, Strand of Oaks, Dawes, and Shovels and Rope.

Any other acts Saturday/Sunday I shouldn't miss? Mostly stoked for Tedeschi Trucks tbqh.

That's my bad - edited the original list.

You disagree that it's a better debut than Surfer Rosa? First rap/hip hop album to reach number 1, 6 or 7 singles, 10 Million sales (certified Diamond)..huge album in it's day with an enduring legacy.

I disagree that Illmatic is the Beastie's debut.

On a related note, I also disagree with the premise that sales equates to quality. They are probably correlated, not always a good measure.

Anyway, you offer a good list. I don't really listen to Hiphop, so I can't really argue there. I find it hard to think of Miseducation as a debut since Hill was part of the massively involved with the Fugees and likewise "the Band" being Dylan's backing band for a few years before the big pink makes those feel different. I mean, I don't think of Page and Plant's album from the 90's as a debut. Hendrix, Zepplin, the Clash and Black Sabbath are all worthy offerings. I think Surfer Rosa is better than the "Is this it.." and "What ever People Say I am..." but maybe that is just me. Appetite has great songs, but also some filler trash. Oasis?????? I hope that was also an error.

Going for Saturday and Sunday. I really only know: Tedeschi Trucks, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, Ani Difranco, Strand of Oaks, Dawes, and Shovels and Rope.

Any other acts Saturday/Sunday I shouldn't miss? Mostly stoked for Tedeschi Trucks tbqh.

Kingfish Ingram might be fun - great blues guitar player.

Should add we're taking our 1 year old. His first festie.

i'm on a tear with ty segall lately, mostly just going through the This Is Ty Segall playlist on spotify, but have dug in to the Melted record too

anybody else here dig? more places i should look? his catalog is huge

oh hell yeah, i've been all in on segall over the past couple of years. real mad i wasn't into him a decade ago, but here we are.

melted is my favorite of his (picked it up on vinyl last year ayyyy) but i love manipulator and goodbye bread and slaughterhouse too. lemons is fun. freedom's goblin is dope. he's really solid at changing shit up from album to album (ironically, this is probs the biggest issue with harmonizer, which i still love)

as far as segall adjacent things, i love his stuff with mikal cronin. they're a lot of fun together, and they seem to complement each other real well. if you're looking for similar stuff outside of segall, cronin's MCII is wonderful.

assuming you've already checked them out, but Thee Oh Sees (or OCS or Ohsees or whatever they're going by these days) are great too

I disagree that Illmatic is the Beastie's debut.

On a related note, I also disagree with the premise that sales equates to quality. They are probably correlated, not always a good measure.

Anyway, you offer a good list. I don't really listen to Hiphop, so I can't really argue there. I find it hard to think of Miseducation as a debut since Hill was part of the massively involved with the Fugees and likewise "the Band" being Dylan's backing band for a few years before the big pink makes those feel different. I mean, I don't think of Page and Plant's album from the 90's as a debut. Hendrix, Zepplin, the Clash and Black Sabbath are all worthy offerings. I think Surfer Rosa is better than the "Is this it.." and "What ever People Say I am..." but maybe that is just me. Appetite has great songs, but also some filler trash. Oasis?????? I hope that was also an error.

Yeah, attributing Illmatic to the Beasties was a typo; corrected.

There's a strong subjective component to music, so while I understand that sales may not equal quality, how else do you equalize for personal tastes/preference? Surfer Rosa is a good album and a strong debut, but it's become stronger with time than when it debuted. Every album I listed had more critical acclaim and commercial success than Surfer Rosa.

Oasis is most certainly not an error; Definitely Maybe is a fantastic pop/rock album and holds up well today. For that matter, What's the Story, the MTV Unplugged Show, and Live at Knebworth are all fantastic as well. Oasis made some excellent music in their prime.

Back