• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

Yeah, attributing Illmatic to the Beasties was a typo; corrected.

There's a strong subjective component to music, so while I understand that sales may not equal quality, how else do you equalize for personal tastes/preference? Surfer Rosa is a good album and a strong debut, but it's become stronger with time than when it debuted. Every album I listed had more critical acclaim and commercial success than Surfer Rosa.

Oasis is most certainly not an error; Definitely Maybe is a fantastic pop/rock album and holds up well today. For that matter, What's the Story, the MTV Unplugged Show, and Live at Knebworth are all fantastic as well. Oasis made some excellent music in their prime.

To me that’s makes Surfer Rosa even better as a debut, it was so under appreciated at first. The fact that it hasn’t disappeared into the void of irrelevant history, despite abysmal initial sales says a lot. Sales figures are really affected by promotion budgets, maybe more then by quality of music. I mean Michael Bolton and Richard Marks sold a ton of records.

I just can’t stand Oasis.

I disagree that Illmatic is the Beastie's debut.

On a related note, I also disagree with the premise that sales equates to quality. They are probably correlated, not always a good measure.

Anyway, you offer a good list. I don't really listen to Hiphop, so I can't really argue there. I find it hard to think of Miseducation as a debut since Hill was part of the massively involved with the Fugees and likewise "the Band" being Dylan's backing band for a few years before the big pink makes those feel different. I mean, I don't think of Page and Plant's album from the 90's as a debut. Hendrix, Zepplin, the Clash and Black Sabbath are all worthy offerings. I think Surfer Rosa is better than the "Is this it.." and "What ever People Say I am..." but maybe that is just me. Appetite has great songs, but also some filler trash. Oasis?????? I hope that was also an error.

If Lauryn Hill and the Band don't count by that qualification, then does Zeppelin 1? Zeppelin was kinda a super-group in its own right if we're using that kinda metric.

If Lauryn Hill and the Band don't count by that qualification, then does Zeppelin 1? Zeppelin was kinda a super-group in its own right if we're using that kinda metric.

Yeah, that’s a reasonable question. I guess I would think of Led Zepplin as a debut because the yard birds and the band of Joy really didn’t have the level of success that the Fugees did to set up Hills solo debut. I don’t really have a rigid standard but when your previous band has a couple of top 10 hits and you come along and put out a solo album your experience and momentum from the previous group really helps. The pixies were a bunch of no names that came together played a bunch of clubs for 2 years then put out an album that’s more popular 30 years later than when it was released.

Anyway, I’m not a die hard pixies fan. I was listening to it this morning while doing an awful IT security training module and so I posted the question. My own list of best debuts would not be as diverse or as good as leftcoast’s.

Oasis is most certainly not an error; Definitely Maybe is a fantastic pop/rock album and holds up well today. For that matter, What's the Story, the MTV Unplugged Show, and Live at Knebworth are all fantastic as well. Oasis made some excellent music in their prime.

And some good music, though not great albums, out of their prime. Definitely Maybe is a great debut and What's The Story a worthy follow-up. The main problem with those albums is their brickwalled production, which was bad even for the time.

Also, Be Here Now has stood the test of time. Not as good as the first two and not as well liked probably because it strays into some new territory. A song like Girl In The Dirty Shirt doesn't fit on the first two albums, but is a great song by itself. My Big Mouth and I Hope I Think I Know rock the house down a lot of their earlier songs do.

There were a lot of great debuts by the Brits then. Oasis, Verve, Suede. Swervedriver if you go back a few years.

sorry, but Standing on the Shoulders of Giants kicks ass too

Haven't thought of suede in years. That list brought to mind Catherine Wheel as well. They had some great early stuff in their first few albums.

I feel like I need to apologize but I’m a Oasis fan. Their music, not the human beings although I have come to like Noel and he’s in my top 3 to have a few beers with. Seems like he would be funny as hell and have great stories. Plus I think he’s an incredible songwriter or more so lyricist. I for sure appreciate the talent of the Gallaghers. Liam was one of the best frontmen in recent memory. As a guitar player I loved how loud and guitar-y their music was and that British rock tone. Awesome.

My band used to open with Rock n Roll Star and damn I loved setting the tone of the gig with that song. Might have to go back to that.

No need to apologize for liking Oasis. It might be trendy on here to hate on them, but they are a fucking great rock band.

I know there are a few Phans here that might have seen this, but if anyone on here likes to geek out on guitar tech, Trey Anastasio did a full run down of his current rig recently that the guitar players/gear geeks might also enjoy:

I feel like I need to apologize but I’m a Oasis fan. Their music, not the human beings although I have come to like Noel and he’s in my top 3 to have a few beers with. Seems like he would be funny as hell and have great stories. Plus I think he’s an incredible songwriter or more so lyricist. I for sure appreciate the talent of the Gallaghers. Liam was one of the best frontmen in recent memory. As a guitar player I loved how loud and guitar-y their music was and that British rock tone. Awesome.

My band used to open with Rock n Roll Star and damn I loved setting the tone of the gig with that song. Might have to go back to that.

Noel made millions writing songs from the same 5 chords, that's for sure. RnR Star was about the most chord happy they ever got. Well, that and their cover of Walrus. Ever play Wonderwall and D'You Know What I Mean? back to back? Same song (the verses, anyway).

Note, I have no ill will towards them for doing so. They played solid rock n roll songs and acted the part as well. Oasis, outside of Wonderwall, is a shit-ton of fun to play. And even Wonderwall is in front of the right crowd, because they sing along.

Got to see North Mississippi All Stars last night at a free show and they rocked. I think the last time I saw the full band was early 2000s; saw Luther solo about 4 years ago so I had some recent frame of reference. They played a few new songs, gave Cody a drum break that he killed, and they just generally rocked out. Luther's got a great tone and he's such a talented player.

Fucking roofers next door are blasting hoobastank the reason as I’m trying to get some work done. Thanks jerks that’ll be in my head a while.

karma police is the best song on OK, right?

make way for the song and video of the fall

never got into emo but going to a show headlined by Joyce Manor tonight (doors open at 10pm lol i'm too old for this) as a friend's brother is drummer in the opening act

please advise

never got into emo but going to a show headlined by Joyce Manor tonight (doors open at 10pm lol i'm too old for this) as a friend's brother is drummer in the opening act

please advise

Bring your earplugs and have a good time.

Back