• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is that??! (Cain Ad)

I don't even know how active InTrade is these days, but it seems to provide a much clearer perspective (than the media paints) on how things are actually going.

e6XkG.png

Isn't Newt's about 3.5% too high?

I like this "clown" and ive been supporting him for over a year now.

Also known as the Michael Steele plan.

Originally known as the Alan Keyes plan.

Romney should be a little concerned that his supporters aren't as enthusiastic as Cain's supporters. If Cain actually tries to run a national campaign, he could win the enthusiasm gap over Romney.

I actually like the yellow flowers web ad. The other one is a bit off, but the yellow flowers one is pretty good and doesn't take itself seriously except for about 20-30 seconds. Good way to get his simple message across, IMO. I laughed more than a few times.

I don't even know how active InTrade is these days, but it seems to provide a much clearer perspective (than the media paints) on how things are actually going.

e6XkG.png

On Intrade, Romney started today as a 56-58% to be the Republican Presidential Nominee. He is currently at 66.3%.

Pretty impressive increase.

That quote was on the 18th, near the end of the debates. Not much movement in the past 10 days.

B/C hacks like you do not consist of the majority of Americans and the way they think.

You do realize that the 9-9-9 plan is in no way feasible correct? Anyone that supports this plan cannot possibly have even a tenuous grasp on how economics, or even numbers in general work.

The current top bracket for the federal corporate tax rate (even without state taxes) is 35%. This 35% is assessed for income slightly over $18 million, so most Fortune 500 companies are paying an effective tax rate growing closer and closer to 35% the more money they make. If this number is cut from 35% to 9%, just think about how much revenue this costs the federal government.

Second of all, the 9% sales tax is inane. You can't impose a 9% regressive tax unless minimum wage is increased substantially as well. Consider how big a burden this 9% federal sales tax would be (once again before state taxes come in) on a minimum wage worker simply trying to pay rent and purchase food. Minimum wage jobs wouldn't be able to feed an individual without an absurdly large number of overtime hours.

Finally, moving the income tax to a flat 9% encounters the same problems as the corporate tax does. It would be a reasonable idea IMO if the nation were starting from scratch and the government wasn't already cashing in on millionaires who are paying effective tax rates above 30%, but the decrease from 30%+ to 9% on millionaires is just going to mean millionaires have more money while government has less.

The only way this plan can work is if the government cuts a ridiculous number of programs, but that's not even what Cain says. Cain says his plan "would raise at least as much revenue for the government as the current system".

How?? Is the 9% sales tax on everyone going to make up for the losses in revenue from MASSIVE decreases in corporate and income taxes? There's nearly no way this could even possibly occur, even if you're the most ardent subscriber of the Laffer curve.

Cain's plan is laughable, he is laughable, and let's be honest, if Cain were a white Republican he wouldn't be on the main stage. The GOP is just trying to offset Obama by saying "Look we can have our own black candidate". It's just comical.

Wonder81, you are honestly the first person I've heard of, either on the boards or in real life, who has said he is a Cain supporter. I guess that's something.

Cain is plain-spoken, Southern, folksy, and hates taxes. Of course he's getting traction with the GOP.

You do realize that the 9-9-9 plan is in no way feasible correct? Anyone that supports this plan cannot possibly have even a tenuous grasp on how economics, or even numbers in general work.

The current top bracket for the federal corporate tax rate (even without state taxes) is 35%. This 35% is assessed for income slightly over $18 million, so most Fortune 500 companies are paying an effective tax rate growing closer and closer to 35% the more money they make. If this number is cut from 35% to 9%, just think about how much revenue this costs the federal government.

Second of all, the 9% sales tax is inane. You can't impose a 9% regressive tax unless minimum wage is increased substantially as well. Consider how big a burden this 9% federal sales tax would be (once again before state taxes come in) on a minimum wage worker simply trying to pay rent and purchase food. Minimum wage jobs wouldn't be able to feed an individual without an absurdly large number of overtime hours.

Finally, moving the income tax to a flat 9% encounters the same problems as the corporate tax does. It would be a reasonable idea IMO if the nation were starting from scratch and the government wasn't already cashing in on millionaires who are paying effective tax rates above 30%, but the decrease from 30%+ to 9% on millionaires is just going to mean millionaires have more money while government has less.

The only way this plan can work is if the government cuts a ridiculous number of programs, but that's not even what Cain says. Cain says his plan "would raise at least as much revenue for the government as the current system".

How?? Is the 9% sales tax on everyone going to make up for the losses in revenue from MASSIVE decreases in corporate and income taxes? There's nearly no way this could even possibly occur, even if you're the most ardent subscriber of the Laffer curve.

Cain's plan is laughable, he is laughable, and let's be honest, if Cain were a white Republican he wouldn't be on the main stage. The GOP is just trying to offset Obama by saying "Look we can have our own black candidate". It's just comical.

Wonder81, you are honestly the first person I've heard of, either on the boards or in real life, who has said he is a Cain supporter. I guess that's something.

Now you know two!

Well that's extremely disheartening. I'm serious. Cain is not remotely qualified for the position of president and his candidacy hurts the GOP immensely. No moderate will vote for Herman Cain over Obama for president. Typically the Dems do this to themselves (pick a bad candidate when they should be able to grab the presidency with even a normal candidate see: John Kerry), but the GOP is content to just fuck themselves by picking an unelectable candidate.

I'll probably vote for Romney over Obama, but I wouldn't vote for any other candidate (besides my boi Huntsman) over a box of rocks, much less an actual politician who has been president for four years.

I'll probably vote for Romney over Obama, but I wouldn't vote for any other candidate (besides my boi Huntsman) over a box of rocks, much less an actual politician who has been president for four years.

That's essentially the problem in a nutshell. Moderates and independents would vote for Huntsman or Romney over Obama, but not for any of the GOP clown college (Santorum, Bachmann, Perry, Cain).

Really wish that Huntsman would get some of this flavor of the week push. Guy is smart, has been successful at pretty much everything he has done, and is very moderate. GOP has already gone through pretty much everyone except for Santorum, Paul, and Huntsman. The other 2 on the list are completely unelectable (but I guess that doesn't really matter to the GOP). I would just like to see how Hunstman would do with his day in the sun.

If Huntsman can't get a shot, I definitely hope that my party comes to their senses and elects Romney to face Obama. I cringe at the thought of Herman Cain with a 50/50 shot at being our chief and commander. {cue standard community organizer diatribes}

That's what Cain's plan is missing. I couldn't put my finger on it until now. Eliminate minimum wage!

That's essentially the problem in a nutshell. Moderates and independents would vote for Huntsman or Romney over Obama, but not for any of the GOP clown college (Santorum, Bachmann, Perry, Cain).

Just like they voted for McCain over Obama in the last election? Obama will win this election over any of the current GOP candidates.

Back