• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is that??! (Cain Ad)

The fact that Cain picked a guy who was banned from all political acitivities in an important state shows Cain is either totally contemptuous of the law or isn't serious about being a candidate.

Romney is an absolute lock barring an eleventh hour entry.

His flipflopping and even his position about about the reason why he stopped using his gardener are going to haunt him.

Romney has out flipflopped even himself in OH.

Last month he was for ending collective bargaining.

On Wednesday he took no position.

On Thursday, he was for it again.

I wonder what his position will be over the weekend.

Remember, didn't his gardening company know he was running for POTUS?

Romney will get about 20-30 more EVs than McCain. That would leave him significantly short of winning.

Moderates would definitely vote for Huntsman over Obama, Romney would be close IMO.

Heard the same argument concerning McCain being the nominee last election cycle and we see how that worked out. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice........GOP should nominate the candidate who best articulates their ideals and not some watered down version of this candidate.

Moderates would definitely vote for Huntsman over Obama, Romney would be close IMO.

I as an independent could definitely vote for Huntsman over Obama. Not so with Romney as its hard to actually stands for. He is basically the Pubs version of John Edwards as all he does is run for President.

Heard the same argument concerning McCain being the nominee last election cycle and we see how that worked out. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice........GOP should nominate the candidate who best articulates their ideals and not some watered down version of this candidate.

2012 is a VERY different election from 2008.

McCain certainly didn't help himself. You think Tancredo or Huckabee would have won if they had said, "the fundamentals of our economy are strong", "suspended" their campaign, and dryhumped Joe the Plumber? Those screw ups had nothing to do with moderate vs conservative. Obama's beatable, but he's not losing to Bachmann or Santorum and Romney/Huntsman/Cain/Perry won't win if they're as erratic and out of touch as MCain was down the stretch.

I do not believe Obama is beatable with the current GOP candidates, and to be honest, I do not feel the election will be very close either. Not all independents are moderate. There are liberal independents, moderate independents and conservative independents although I do not know the break down by percentages.

I am a conservative independent and voted for GWB his first term as a "lesser of the two evils". I was unhappy with his performance (uncontrolled spending, loss of freedoms etc) and voted for independent candidates the next two election cycles as the GOP ran two "middle of the road" candidates. GWB won a second term and based upon his performance I was correct in not voting for him based upon my conservative principles. I am suspect when independents proclaim they will vote for Huntsman over Obama when the same was stated in why the GOP should "run" McCain last election. I wonder how many independents actually vote for an independent candidate rather than Rep or Dem candidate. Most self proclaimed "independent voters" seem to vote primarily (if not nearly exclusively) for one party or the other.

I hope the GOP nominates a candidate who best articulates their ideals rather than a candidate who they hope can get elected. Otherwise you are left with a candidate who does not lead in a manner consistent with your stated views and you are not much better off than you would have been if a Dem was elected. Of course, none of this takes into consideration those in the either party's primary goal, a desire for power.

Well no one else from the GOP is getting in at this point so you're gonna be stuck with this crop of candidates.

I do not believe Obama is beatable with the current GOP candidates, and to be honest, I do not feel the election will be very close either. Not all independents are moderate. There are liberal independents, moderate independents and conservative independents although I do not know the break down by percentages.

Moderates made up roughly 40-45% of the 2008 electorate.

The breakdowns I've seen referenced most in my poli sci books have been (for the 2008 electorate and the nation as a whole):

NOTE: this is ideology regardless of party affiliation

Liberal: 20-25%
Moderate: 40-45%
Conservative: 35-40%

Last edited:
Well no one else from the GOP is getting in at this point so you're gonna be stuck with this crop of candidates.

I agree, thus if Romney or Huntsman receive the nomination I will probably be voting for an independent candidate.......again......haha

I would love to see the breakdown by percentages in voters who identify themselves as independent and have no party affiliation.

Looks like I'm part of the extremely small minority of independents who actually votes for a non Rep/Dem candidate. Thanks for the data.

I know you are semi-kidding but does your vote truly count? With the electoral college system of electing a President your vote truly does not "count" (see GWB vs Gore). I can vote for the candidate who I feel would best lead our country. The current mess our country is in can be directly attributable to Americans only being willing to vote for a candidate with an R or a D next to their name. This results in elected officials "playing politics" and voting for their parties agenda rather than voting for the will of their constituents. Be a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem and vote for the candidate who best represents your views. Our country would be in much better shape if Americans voted this way.

I know you are semi-kidding but does your vote truly count? With the electoral college system of electing a President your vote truly does not "count" (see GWB vs Gore). I can vote for the candidate who I feel would best lead our country. The current mess our country is in can be directly attributable to Americans only being willing to vote for a candidate with an R or a D next to their name. This results in elected officials "playing politics" and voting for their parties agenda rather than voting for the will of their constituents. Be a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem and vote for the candidate who best represents your views. Our country would be in much better shape if Americans voted this way.

I agree in theory, but theoretical answers don't solve problems. We don't live in a vacuum, so we are forced to do the best with the resources we have. What we have is a two party system, so i choose to look at the two realistic options we have, and decide which one I would prefer to see in the White House. I think that is what most moderates do. Hard core Republicans and Democrats are going to vote blue or red regardless, but it is the practical people in the middle that decide who our president is. Last election it was a landslide for Obama. In 2012 I think Obama still wins, but only by a small margin.

Your idea of voting for a 3rd party candidate sounds nice, but it has no practical value. Wisdom often involves being practical.

I'm considering voting 3rd party just to increase the number of third party votes, thus making it look like a more legit option in the future.

Back