• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is your greatest athletic achievement?

Aced a 165 yd. par 3. Shot a few rounds in the mid 70s many moons ago.

Fathered 2 very athletic sons!

In 6th grade I was a fat kid. Playing football during school recess, I once picked up a fumble and ran it the length of the field, carrying a couple of little skinny kids on my back for the last 5 or 10 yards. I was on top of the world for about a week after that.

Played defensive end in HS. I never got an interception or even a sack, but I got a lot of high-5s from teammates for especially hard hits. I caused a couple of receivers to drop wide-open screen passes because I'd roughed them up on earlier plays and they knew I was a few feet away.

I was a camp counsellor at Falling Creek Camp during college. During the camper-counsellor softball game, I called the shot on my first at-bat and hit the ball so far into the woods behind center field that it was never found.

You are crushing asses at that speed. I mean, that's pro as shit. That's only a minute 15 from the world record.

Your mile time is reasonable as well.

I'm quite happy with the mile and the 2 mile time, but the 5k could have been better when compared to the others.

The 5k is overrated TW. :p I have the same discrepancies.

In 6th grade I was a fat kid.

disbelief.png

I'm quite happy with the mile and the 2 mile time, but the 5k could have been better when compared to the others.

the mile time is a bit slow for that fast of a two mile time.

I won a marathon. I've won plenty of shorter races and even a half-marathon, but the marathon was pretty awesome. Drank celebratory champagne and everything.

This is a tough one. But, my accomplishments being pretty shitty next to you guys makes it easier to pick a few. These are chronological, I don't have any real accomplishments.

1- Won the 800m with a time of 2:14 in middle school. Won the high jump same day.

2- Scored two goals in the final 10 minutes of a game to win a soccer tournament for my select team. 2-1 final against a very good Connecticut team. I played stopper/middle defense and both were rockets from about 25 yards after I had come up unmarked. That ride home felt pretty good.

3- Went 4-4 with 4 HR in an industrial league softball game. We still lost about 645-11.

MTB times I'm proud of recently, although there are FAR faster riders around:

Sub 20 minute lap on Country Park (4.5 mi)
Sub 45 minutes out and back on Wild Turkey (9 mi)
Sub 1 hour, two laps of Hobby Park (~12 mi) Fuck you if you can ride any faster than this at Hobby Park for 2 laps.

Rowed bow in the Wake Forest lightweight 4+ that finished 5th of 25 crews at the 2007 Dad Vail. That was pretty cool.

I was always a good athlete, but never great at anything in particular. Was varsity CC for 2 years in HS, and varsity wrestler for 3 years, but I don't have any great memories from either of those sports, apart from the road trips taken.

The fondest sports memories I have are of silly things... like inadvertently making a tackle in 7th grade football. Some big dude got a handoff on a sweep and came right at me and I just froze in terror. The dude bowled me over and I think I actually was knocked out (definitely knocked on my ass) for a second or two. My teammates pulled me up high-fiving me patting me on the back. The guy had apparently fallen down after he bowled me over...about 5 yards later.

I remember in some pickup game at Wake I was guarding some guy who was almost as much of a scrub as me. He was a bit taller though...maybe 5'9ish. Anyway, he kept setting up to take these baseline jumpers and I kind of laid back a bit, knowing that that was his spot. He got the ball and went to take his shot and I flew over there and jumped with my arm extended. I got his ball after the release and swatted it about 8-10 feet up off the wall of the gymnasium. Awesomeness.

We used to play neighborhood baseball a lot with a tennis ball and real bats. I didn't have the power to hit HRs for the longest time and remember the first one that I hit... it was out of bounds but my brother was there and ruled it in bounds to give me a boost no doubt. Problem was I was an honest kid and wanted a legit HR so I whined and cried about it not being a legit HR. I did hit my first legit HR in neighborhood ball shortly thereafter and remember it very well. It was a towering, monstrous shot. I remember the foul HR too...line drive shot that curved foul. Who knows...maybe it was fair when it crossed the HR line.

Died, rose from the dead, then ascended into heaven. I'd tell you how far that is but I'd hate to ruin the surprise.

Y'all have some pretty amazing accomplishments. Mine do not compare, but they made me feel good in a Joe-duffer kind of way.

I had a perfect game with two outs in the sixth for my HS baseball team. then i gave up a double and a single and didn't even get a shutout, but it did end up being a complete game two-hitter.

I've never had a tennis lesson, but I beat a guy who had won the Phoenix city tournament a couple months earlier. (I never checked to very that he won it; I just took him at his word.)

The fondest sports memories I have are of silly things... like inadvertently making a tackle in 7th grade football. Some big dude got a handoff on a sweep and came right at me and I just froze in terror. The dude bowled me over and I think I actually was knocked out (definitely knocked on my ass) for a second or two. My teammates pulled me up high-fiving me patting me on the back. The guy had apparently fallen down after he bowled me over...about 5 yards later.

lol

Hit the game winning home run in the State Championship game for my 11 year old Babe Ruth All Star team. Was pretty exciting. Various other achievements, but this one stands out.

Back