• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What skill would you implant Matrix-style into your brain?

Which skill?

• Total voters
I don't get why the language one is so popular.

Me neither. Would I take it? Yeah. I was a German major, I love languages. But, languages really wouldn't impact my life as much as some others. It would greatly help my current career in some ways, but if you gave me music skills on par with the greatest guitar players in the world I would switch careers in a second.

Me neither. Would I take it? Yeah. I was a German major, I love languages. But, languages really wouldn't impact my life as much as some others. It would greatly help my current career in some ways, but if you gave me music skills on par with the greatest guitar players in the world I would switch careers in a second.

i mean, that argument could be made for all of these, though

I don't necessarily think so. You can only play guitar very well, you haven't been given musical writing talent.

Well 1) I already have a music background so I can write some music to a degree and 2) being on par with the best guitar players in the world would include the ability to improvise on guitar, which is what separates the best from the rest so that would imply an ability to come up with new music.

I don't necessarily think so. You can only play guitar very well, you haven't been given musical writing talent.

I can write stuff, that's not an issue. Worst case, you can be a guitar player for someone else's band/music. You don't necessarily have to write stuff to make a lot of money as one of the world's best guitarists.

My final list would probs be:

1. Guitar
2. Extreme Sports (not at the top because injury risk means your career in this field could be shortened)

3. Automotive repair (really really useful)

4. Fighting

I can write stuff, that's not an issue. Worst case, you can be a guitar player for someone else's band/music. You don't necessarily have to write stuff to make a lot of money as one of the world's best guitarists.

My final list would probs be:

1. Guitar
2. Extreme Sports (not at the top because injury risk means your career in this field could be shortened)

3. Automotive repair (really really useful)

4. Fighting

Haha and now I know why we were on the same page here.

Languages for sure. In order:

1. Mandarin
2. Farsi
3. Spanish
4. Russian
5. Japanese

job prospects

Meh, it just gives you a way to express your same ol' normal ideas/speech/thoughts in a different language. Not really a huge boost to job prospects if you're not already in high demand for some reason.

Lots of people are fluent in multiple languages (especially outside of the USA). How much good does it really do them?

I went with language because (1) I want to do more traveling and knowing languages opens up a lot of cool options, and (2) I would definitely pick Chinese as one and instantly become super-marketable in my profession.

However, fighting mastery was a very, very close second. I think it would be a huge confidence booster to know that no matter who you were dealing with, if necessary you could instantly kick his (her?) ass.

Meh, it just gives you a way to express your same ol' normal ideas/speech/thoughts in a different language. Not really a huge boost to job prospects if you're not already in high demand for some reason.

Lots of people are fluent in multiple languages (especially outside of the USA). How much good does it really do them?

"The number of languages spoken throughout the world is estimated to be 6,000 (Grimes, 1992). Although a small number of languages, including Arabic, Bengali, English, French, Hindi, Malay, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish serve as important link languages or languages of wider communication around the world, these are very often spoken as second, third, fourth, or later-acquired languages. Fewer than 25% of the world's approximately 200 countries recognize two or more official languages, with a mere handful recognizing more than two (e.g., India, Luxembourg, Nigeria). However, despite these conservative government policies, available data indicate that there are many more bilingual or multilingual individuals in the world than there are monolingual. In addition, there are many more children throughout the world who have been and continue to be educated through a second or a later-acquired language, at least for some portion of their formal education, than there are children educated exclusively via the first language. In many parts of the world, bilingualism or multilingualism and innovative approaches to education that involve the use of two or more languages constitute the normal everyday experience (see, e.g., Dutcher, 1994; World Bank, 1995). The results from published, longitudinal, and critical research undertaken in varied settings throughout the world indicate clearly that the development of multiple language proficiency is possible, and indeed that it is viewed as desirable by educators, policy makers, and parents in many countries."

Yeah the language one is just putting you on par with most of the world.

So many noobs, what a waste of matrix technology.

Your point is well taken, but while a bilingual high school dropout is not much different from any other high school dropout, a bilingual sales, engineering, or management executive has access to some really cool jobs and better pay than other single-language executives (depending on the language).

For me personally it would be one of

Extreme sports
Golfter
Automotive repair knowledge
Guitar

I'm sure in ten years it would definitely be golfing.

Your point is well taken, but while a bilingual high school dropout is not much different from any other high school dropout, but (depending on the language) a bilingual sales, engineering, or management executive has access to some really cool jobs and better pay than other single-language executives.

If I were someone of another nationality and wasn't fluent at English I would definitely pick languages for this reason, but we already speak the lingua franca.

Not to mention I would rather be a superstar guitar player than a desk jockey who speaks chinese.

Your point is well taken, but while a bilingual high school dropout is not much different from any other high school dropout, a bilingual sales, engineering, or management executive has access to some really cool jobs and better pay than other single-language executives (depending on the language).

Right, but not the same opportunities as a world class guitarist, or a badass extreme sports guru.

Even then, you're still doing shitty sales, engineering, management. Just in different languages. That's not exactly life changing.

Languages is such a boring ability. Job prospects? I remember all the kids at Wake that got boners over learning Spanish. You know who else can speak English and Spanish? Millions of Mexicans and South Americans.

I probs take extreme sport, guitar, or gourmet chef.

Back