• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Is Our Next Basketball Coach?

At 63 I don't think Rick Majerus would take another job.

Tim Fuller would be an interesting option, especially if we can land an experienced x's and o's guy to assist.

Why?

At 63 I don't think Rick Majerus would take another job.

Tim Fuller would be an interesting option, especially if we can land an experienced x's and o's guy to assist.

I agree, but there is a small glimmer of hope that he would like to test his ability against the ACC rather than the A-10.

How about another Wake alum with a good pedigree of experience?

Billy Schmidt (1992 WFU grad!) - Super guy and former classmate... Check out his stats...

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/schmidt_billy00.html

Jesus, will people get off the hire a Wake grad for whatever opening we have?!? Schmidt could be a great guy for all I know. But he's a friggin' asst for a very unimpressive hire at GT. You'd have to be a darn impressive asst to get a job offer from a school like Wake, and Gregory doesn't impress.

Hire the best person for the job, period.

While I like Frank Martin and would enjoy watching him stare down his team; I really don't see him leaving K-State. On a personal level I would like to see Rick Majerus in Winston. He has done an outstanding job in finally turning around St. Louis Univ. Realistically though, I would be extremely happy with going after one of Frank Haith's assistants.
He was practically begging Miami to hire him last year through all his statements to the media. He'd definitely jump at the right offer.

We should have hired Majerus when we hired Skip. That ship has sailed.

I agree that we do not need an alumnus.

What about Bruce Weber if/when he gets canned at Illinois? He is not the best recruiter and his ceiling is lower than a Roy Williams or Bill Self (duh), but Weber would obviously be an upgrade over Bzz.

Having followed VCU closely over the last few years I think Anthony Grant could have big success here. Shaka Smart is a stud, too.

What about Bruce Weber if/when he gets canned at Illinois? He is not the best recruiter and his ceiling is lower than a Roy Williams or Bill Self (duh), but Weber would obviously be an upgrade over Bzz.

Having followed VCU closely over the last few years I think Anthony Grant could have big success here. Shaka Smart is a stud, too.

I really like Bruce Weber, living in St. Louis I get to hear him on one of the local sports talk stations weekly and I have a genuine like for this guy. He is done in Champaign, they have to make the tournament and advance at least to the Sweet 16 to keep his job.

After looking back I back off my original statement. I stand corrected, I do remember that.

Yea, I'm still surprised Miami's AD didn't take the bait and go after him, warts and past issues notwithstanding. He'd recruit like a fiend down there. Can you imagine the buzz around college basketball had the fieriest coach in the country "returned home" to coach a not-that-horrible ACC program in South Beach? Granted their stadium is a joke and their fanbase is non-existent, but if anyone could generate positive momentum around the Miami basketball program it would've been Martin.

I suspect that at the end of the day, the AD at Miami just couldn't stomach possibly exposing the school to yet more NCAA scrutiny and media attention surrounding the "cleanliness" of their major sports programs. With Al Golden and Jim Larra-however-you-spell-it in the fold, Miami has a pair of pretty squeaky clean bros. For the time being, I presume that's how they want it.

Anthony Grant just had to suspend 4 of Alabama's top 6 scorers indefinitely for violation of team rules. He doesn't seem like he represents the right 'culture' Wellman keeps speaking about.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...en-andrew-steele-trevor-releford-indefinitely

I really like Bruce Weber, living in St. Louis I get to hear him on one of the local sports talk stations weekly and I have a genuine like for this guy. He is done in Champaign, they have to make the tournament and advance at least to the Sweet 16 to keep his job.

Yea, he's gotten killed by their fans and the local media for his lackluster recruiting. That said, no team plays better man-to-man defense in the country in my opinion than his Illinois teams. Granted, it's not fun to watch and the Illini are in a league where seemingly every team plays uber-physical man D, but Jesus do his teams get out and guard you.

Hopefully Wellman has another buddy that has a better track record than Bzz.

My choices:
1. Hurley
2. Shaka Smart
3. Buzz Williams(would be #1, but wont come)
4. Mooney

Last edited:
Back