• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why would [Redacted] even want to be here????

Let's just say.. Hypothetically.. That during the horrific storms in the fall, someone might have been on the elevator leaving the completely empty facility, alone, late at night, when a very timely power outage occurred stopping the elevator between floors. That someone then proceeded to remain stuck for several hours without calling for help due to an honest fear that telling anyone on campus that [insert name] needed help would actually reduce the likelihood of someone coming to assist.

A perfect illustration of [Redacted]'s terrible decision making. Even if they didn't come to help, he is in the same spot he is in by not calling. Unless he thought they were going to come harm him or something.

And I really hope he doesn't think people hate him that much. I just don't want him to be our basketball coach.

Last edited:
He still has it made here... imagine how many schools he could be coaching at where he and his family would be receiving daily death threats over these performances.

Make no mistake, he knows how the fans feel about him. He is not a happy guy. And Nina is even more unhappy here.

Also, the players do not like playing for him (except for DGreen, and that is another story entirely). They say the right things in public, because they are not dummies.

What i don't understand is why do the players sign here to play for [Redacted]? How is he able to recruit them at all? I know that the assistants are the primary recruiters but the players surely must have some idea of what Bz is like. Why would they willingly turn their basketball future over to him?

Wow if that hypothetical story happened to be true, I might actually feel bad for the guy. And I've hated the asshole for three years now.

Lil -

What i don't understand is why do the players sign here to play for [Redacted]? How is he able to recruit them at all? I know that the assistants are the primary recruiters but the players surely must have some idea of what Bz is like. Why would they willingly turn their basketball future over to him?

Oh I dunno but as Jack said....I'm just spitballing here....maybe, just maybe they all kinda fell in love with the school, the education, the campus....those sorta things. It's kinda a nice place, yunno ?

I really do have some sympathy for Bz even though he's making a ton of money. He's trying his hardest and performing at a comparable level to his historical norms. Unlike some, I find him to be unbelievably socially inept and awkward but not an awful person. I think hating him because he hasn't quit in shame is unfair (very few coaches do that).

Also, it's rarely if ever noted that he and his wife are parents of a graduate. What wonderful memories of Wake Forest for them and their daughter, eh ?

Last edited:
Also, it's rarely if ever noted that he and his wife are parents of a grad/student. What wonderful memories of Wake Forest for them and their daughter, eh ?

That's why you don't take your parents to college with you

I assume the guys in the last two recruiting classes just rationally thought that [Redacted] would have been fired between when they signed and they stepped on campus, and that they were buying low on a chance to get a good education and play in the ACC for whoever the new coach was. As much as I cannot believe he's still here, it's got to be much worse for the guys on the team.

I really do have some sympathy for Bz even though he's making a ton of money. He's trying his hardest and performing at a comparable level to his historical norms. Unlike some, I find him to be unbelievably socially inept and awkward but not an awful person. I think hating him because he hasn't quit in shame is unfair (very few coaches do that).

To me, Bz is a terrible basketball coach but the person to blame for the situation is clearly Wellman for allowing this to happen.

I honestly felt this way before I heard him speak to fans on the radio show two years ago. If the guy came out and accepted blame for losses, treated the fans the respect, and demanded more from himself, I can guarantee you that he wouldn't be seeing nearly the level of dislike that he is experiencing. At some point the socially awkward tendencies. Became a smug attitude that dug himself deeper into a hole.

I honestly felt this way before I heard him speak to fans on the radio show two years ago. If the guy came out and accepted blame for losses, treated the fans the respect, and demanded more from himself, I can guarantee you that he wouldn't be seeing nearly the level of dislike that he is experiencing. At some point the socially awkward tendencies. Became a smug attitude that dug himself deeper into a hole.

Yeah. For me it isn't the wins and losses or even the margin of losing or the failure to improve. It's the fact that while all of that is going on he's being a smug prick treating the fans like he's the smartest guy in the room and we just don't understand basketball.

Yeah. For me it isn't the wins and losses or even the margin of losing or the failure to improve. It's the fact that while all of that is going on he's being a smug prick treating the fans like he's the smartest guy in the room and we just don't understand basketball.

i never got that feeling, i just thought he had a social IQ of zero. i can't fathom how he recruits

Staak was a loser but I never felt like he was passing the buck. I do feel that Bz tends to do that. When you tell the press you have no idea why you lose on the road after losing on the road for years you have to stop looking at the players year after year and look at yourself. I thought Bz spent the summer on some sort of pilgrimage to find the "answer."

I don't hate the guy and I feel for him and his family. I'd be a lot more sympathetic if he weren't getting a king's ransom in pay, but it's never easy finding yourself in a job where you're overwhelmed and under constant stress. Many of us who are old enough have been there - albeit at a much lower salary.

That said, assuming Bz has saved his money and no one close to him is facing serious health issues, he ought to be well past the point where he could comfortably retire. Some people in his position don't have the luxury of stepping away, but Bz does.

Let's just say.. Hypothetically.. That during the horrific storms in the fall, someone might have been on the elevator leaving the completely empty facility, alone, late at night, when a very timely power outage occurred stopping the elevator between floors. That someone then proceeded to remain stuck for several hours without calling for help due to an honest fear that telling anyone on campus that [insert name] needed help would actually reduce the likelihood of someone coming to assist.
Unless this is a different occasion, the elevator thing happened over the summer, and the details are a bit different. He joked about it on the Dave Glenn show the day that Wake "took over" his show. Buzz got stuck in the elevator and called for help, and the person outside asked who was in the elevator. Buzz then joked that if it was a Wake fan outside, he's not sure the person would have helped him. He knows he's hated.

Definitely.

I looked a while back and tried to find the My Take on Wake where he said something to the effect of "The people criticizing me have never built anything successful." It would have been on or around January 21, 2011, but that predates this board, and the Wayback Machine stabs all around it without capturing the post itself. If anyone can dig it up, I would much appreciate it.

Staak was a loser but I never felt like he was passing the buck. I do feel that Bz tends to do that. When you tell the press you have no idea why you lose on the road after losing on the road for years you have to stop looking at the players year after year and look at yourself. I thought Bz spent the summer on some sort of pilgrimage to find the "answer."

The "no idea" thing doesn't bother me because I suspect it is 100% true and he has no fucking clue why we get blown out in every road game. That's actually way more damning, because it's indicative of the fact there is something inherently fucked up about his coaching, or how he motivates players or SOMETHING that would explain why we lose by a million points every time we play away from the Joel.

Back