• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Willing to take on a few Hoops Bets @ 17.5

Okay ... so the FINAL bets are:

$50 with PHDeac on 15.5 thru the end of the regular season
$100 with Sgt Hulka on 17.5 wins thru the end of the regular season
$50 with Redwing42 on 17.5 wins thru the end of the regular season
$100 with thedeacfan on 17.5 wins thru the end of the regular season

I think we need to win 2 of 3 in baha or I'm in trouble. Game 2 is crucial. our depth will help us in Game 2 and particularly game 3 with the 3 games in 3 days.

I still don't really understand why people keep saying wake is deep. Were outside the top 100 in bench minutes and half our games we've benched our starters for substantial portions of the second half.

I still don't really understand why people keep saying wake is deep. Were outside the top 100 in bench minutes and half our games we've benched our starters for substantial portions of the second half.

Not so much deep as we just play a lot of players right now. Going with 10 per game so far against this group of in our first 5 games wouldn't necessarily make us a deep squad when it comes to league play.

Because it is a new [Redacted] and Wellman talking point and people don't bother to look up the facts for themselves.

Interesting. It sure seems like we've played more bench players for extended time than we did previously (with Williams, Rountree, Moto, Washington, and Overton seeing the court quite a bit). How does the ranking compare to last year?

Last year we were 201st in the country and had four guys playing 68%+ of our minutes (CJ, Travis, Devin, and Codi).

This year we have three guys above 65% (Codi, Devin, and Travis) and then two guys playing 50%+ (Coron and Madison). As far as bench minutes go, KenPom takes the top five minute getters as "starters" even if they do not technically start. So in our case Cavanaugh playing 41% of our minutes, despite actually starting, qualifies as a bench player.

Moto, Rountree, Andre, and Overton all play less than 40% of our minutes.

Last year we were 201st in the country and had four guys playing 68%+ of our minutes (CJ, Travis, Devin, and Codi).

This year we have three guys above 65% (Codi, Devin, and Travis) and then two guys playing 50%+ (Coron and Madison). As far as bench minutes go, KenPom takes the top five minute getters as "starters" even if they do not technically start. So in our case Cavanaugh playing 41% of our minutes, despite actually starting, qualifies as a bench player.

Moto, Rountree, Andre, and Overton all play less than 40% of our minutes.

I stand corrected by a strong argument. I did notice that Kansas plays like 6 guys a ton. Too bad we aren't catching them on say day 3. I would expect our bench to play more in day 2 and day 3 than they have so far, but the competition will be stronger and the games likely closer so maybe I am way off base (i.e., wrong). Be interesting to see. Bzd has been preaching depth all off season. We'll see when Moto dribbles the ball out of bounds or Rountree takes a horrific (looking) shot whether he stays with the bench.

[Redacted] has continually preached all kinds of stuff in the off season that we haven't seen any actual evidence of when the games start. One would think you would have learned that by now...

Do you also think that baseball players are continually returning to Spring Training in the "best shape of their lives" because people within their organizations say so each and every year?

When I think of deep teams I think of players that don't start but could be starters on other squads - guys that you wish you could get in more but you just don't have the minutes for.

I think we're a deep team in the sense that well after most teams have settled into a 7 man rotation, we'll still be playing 9 guys. But we're deep in that "hmmm, most of our players are limited in different ways, but we can run a lot of guys out there so I guess that's a positive" kind of way. Plus we're deep only at the 3-4. We're extremely shallow at point guard, center, and shooting guard.

Our current KenPom rating is 95. The KenPom ratings of our next 5 opponents are:

310 - Tulane
68 - Richmond
100 - St. Bonaventure
273 - UNCG
64 - Xavier

Important stretch with potentially three competitive games in there. December will be an interesting month for Wake basketball...

Also, at this point according to KenPom, we only play three games against ACC opponents ranked below us; VaTech and Miami away with GaTech at home.

And if I am seeing this right, KenPom has half (9) of our conference games being against teams ranked in the top 30.

Last edited:
When I think of deep teams I think of players that don't start but could be starters on other squads - guys that you wish you could get in more but you just don't have the minutes for.

I think we're a deep team in the sense that well after most teams have settled into a 7 man rotation, we'll still be playing 9 guys. But we're deep in that "hmmm, most of our players are limited in different ways, but we can run a lot of guys out there so I guess that's a positive" kind of way. Plus we're deep only at the 3-4. We're extremely shallow at point guard, center, and shooting guard.

There is depth in our mediocrity!!!!!

I think it's right on the edge, but I appreciate the courseness and unnecessary-ness of your post, Marque! Your're the best inane poster we have!

As for the depth stuff. Our bench was great last night. Andre sort of saved our ass there for 5 or 6 minutes and Rountree was finally used defensively on the other team's best player for a good long stretch (3+ minutes). I have been waiting for that type of in-game matchup switch for a while.

you are going to need 3 of the next 4 to have any realistic shot at getting to 18 wins. That would still require 8 conference wins would require significant improvement from our current level of play or for a lot of things to break our way.

Back