• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worst Senior Day Crowd Ever?

The family in front of me at the stadium drives over 2.5 hours from Lumberton. Their son has to drive them because of health issues, and they could not make it. Getting home at 3:00am is a little rough for them, so they always give me their tickets. I filled all seats. We have to work at making new local fans to fill those seats. It is insane that a city the size of Winston cannot do it.
It was not about getting to 7-4 last nite. It was about senior nite.
Thank you. You get it. And thank you for attending last night.

If you weren’t there, you got no reason to gripe. I was there and I’d rather enjoy the much needed W from last night and Sam’s great performance than to bitch and moan about the crowd.
First off, thank you for attending last night and supporting the team in person. We appreciate it! And second, you know this is a message board right?

Our attendance is pretty good given the size of our fanbase. Easier said than done, but I don’t think we’ve done much at trying to grow our local fanbase or trying to differentiate the gameday experience in an entertaining way.

Really tough to balance short and long term given financial constraints though. (it would probably have required something like a resource intensive ten-year plan, and I think we’ve smartly funneled that money into facilities).

It is also true that we’ve spread our resources thin across a lot of sports, and tough to complain about that given the success we’ve seen.
Have you not seen what John Currie has done to our gameday fan experience in the past 3 years? The man is incredible so there’s no reason for lack of butts in seats.

Let’s be honest. All of our fans are in Jamaica right now.

I have no problem with anyone who decides they don't want to drive in many cases 2-3 hours to attend a game that in mid-November should be played during daylight hours, and absent the endless game stoppages to show the same air fryer/taclight/medicare supplement ads over and over should only take 3 hours max vs. 4 to complete. That's great if your "fandom" compels you to be there to cheer on the seniors regardless of the team record, opponent and game time, but again it's an adult decision on how to spend your time and $$.
This game would have had close to 28-30K in attendance with a noon or 3:30 start. And yes I know start time doesn't matter at places like Alabama, Clemson or even NCSU, but our fan bases aren't the same as theirs and never will be.

I have been told that only 10% of the students at Wake now are from North Carolina. This amplifies the problem of local attendance and makes it necessary to start a program to “recruit” local (within 50 miles) residents to become “butts in the seats, especially for football. I think jr high and high school students should be offered extraordinary group deals to come and enjoy a game including special game day events and deals for them. Wake seems to make it a goal to recruit students nationally and internationally which also hurts home attendance since probably over 50% of students end up living near where they grew up. If you observe the “home side” of the stadium during games it is an older crowd in general. They attended Wake when the NC % was a lot higher. This will also further contribute to the game attendance problem as they die off.
About 35% of Wake students are from North Carolina.

Hmmm. That's where I got my info, too. Doesn't that say that 2069 of 6051 are from NC?
I see what you're looking at - that's 2069 from NC out of 8963 total, and 6051 out of state from 8963 total. The most helpful tab on that dashboard is the "UG Enrollment by Geographic Origin" - that's just undergrads, and shows 885 undergrads from NC.

885 UG from NC
5447 total (4981 USA + 466 INTL)
=16.2% NC Undergrads

I see what you're looking at - that's 2069 from NC out of 8963 total, and 6051 out of state from 8963 total. The most helpful tab on that dashboard is the "UG Enrollment by Geographic Origin" - that's just undergrads, and shows 885 undergrads from NC.
Gotcha. That would be 16.2% which would be really low.

Got it, thanks. Looks like 18% of undergrads and 23% of total grads are from NC.

1. Triple Deac is afraid to tell us where he lives.
  2. I invented Senior Fifth and the fact that it still exists is really the only thing that gives me any hope for the Wake Forest student body.
  3. 68% of the student body is from Charlotte.

1. Triple Deac is afraid to tell us where he lives.
  2. I invented Senior Fifth and the fact that it still exists is really the only thing that gives me any hope for the Wake Forest student body.
  3. 68% of the student body is from Charlotte.
The fact #1 bothers you is just… weird. Stalker.

I also noticed some empty cold bleacher seats from the comfort of my living room, hundreds of miles away.

Back