• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Julius Peppers' UNC Transcript Posted

What's your point, numbers? Plenty of schools have African-American Studies departments, several that don't even have football teams. Demeaning coursework about one group as simply to get athletes through and other groups as worthy of study is beneath you, numbers.

I took a Sociology of the Black Experience course when I was at Wake with Cheryl Leggon (now at Tech). Ten person seminar. No athletes (male athletes at least). Good course.

I'm sure there are exceptions but Wake is very tough on athletes, especially the ones who aren't prepared for the workload. Alongside with the grade deflation and other shit that goes on here, a lot of our professors are especially strict in response to the common stigma about players getting special treatment. That's the main reason Jeff Teague told his brother not to come to Wake. It's always possible for any student to take a course load that avoids really intellectually challenging classes, but the workload itself is pretty consistent across the school.
You know this how?

You know this how?

We move pretty fast around here. Try to keep up.

Your dad played for Rick Pitino at Boston University. Is there any kind of Wake Forest-Louisville recruiting war going on between you and your dad over your brother, Marquis?

TEAGUE: I didn't want him to go to Wake Forest. Oh, man, I didn't want him to go there (laughs). I was like 'Pick another school. Have your fun there.' I want him to have his own thing. I don't want him to have to follow in my footsteps or anything like that. I want him to have fun, go to a school that he really enjoys. Plus he doesn't want to go that far from home. My dad doesn't really talk too much about playing for B.U. He talks more about my brother now since he was recruited by Louisville. That's a matter between them.

An internal investigation at UNC uncovered numerous academic improprieties in more than 50 courses in the AFAM department between 2006 and 2011. Some classes featured unauthorized grade changes, the investigation found, and in other instances classes provided little to no instruction.
Among the students enrolled in the classes were a high percentage of athletes, according to documents The News & Observer obtained through public records requests. In the 54 courses that the university found to be “aberrant and irregular,” 58 percent of the students were athletes.

If only 58 percent were athletes in these courses, I want to talk to the other 42 percent. Well done on finding a college class while being a non-athlete where there was "no instruction."

TEAGUE: I didn't want him to go to Wake Forest. Oh, man, I didn't want him to go there (laughs). I was like 'Pick another school. Have your fun there.' I want him to have his own thing. I don't want him to have to follow in my footsteps or anything like that. I want him to have fun, go to a school that he really enjoys. Plus he doesn't want to go that far from home. My dad doesn't really talk too much about playing for B.U. He talks more about my brother now since he was recruited by Louisville. That's a matter between them.

I don't really read that as him telling him not to follow his brother because of the academics of Wake. He was always very clear (though at this time his brother was only a sophomore in HS) that he didn't think his brother should follow him to Wake just because he was there, but it clearly wasn't simply the academics.

There's a lot of things Jeff didn't like about Wake but the hard academics would not have been in his top 5.

I don't really read that as him telling him not to follow his brother because of the academics of Wake. He was always very clear (though at this time his brother was only a sophomore in HS) that he didn't think his brother should follow him to Wake just because he was there, but it clearly wasn't simply the academics.

There's a lot of things Jeff didn't like about Wake but the hard academics would not have been in his top 5.

what's the top 5?

What's your point, numbers? Plenty of schools have African-American Studies departments, several that don't even have football teams. Demeaning coursework about one group as simply to get athletes through and other groups as worthy of study is beneath you, numbers.

I took a Sociology of the Black Experience course when I was at Wake with Cheryl Leggon (now at Tech). Ten person seminar. No athletes (male athletes at least). Good course.

I didn't mean to make the point that one subject is more important than any other, my only point is that there is substantial evidence as far as North Carolina goes that they used the program for the past while to push athletes through. There is also evidence that a lot of the classes that Peppers "took" never existed beyond just having credits and then possibly turning in a paper. I don't doubt that this is a very rewarding class in the right environment, but I also believe that a lot of these courses are 180 out at UNC than they are at schools not using this field of study as a cover for an athlete's major.

I was speaking only about UNC in my post, I realize that it comes across as being more general than I intended for it to be.

Last edited:
So I'm not sure if I follow. Is the NCAA reopening the investigation, or is this the media whirlwind that precedes an investigation?

I believe it is providing the NCAA with so much evidence of impropriety that they have to open a new investigation specifically into systemic academic fraud.

Reactions: DG3
So I'm not sure if I follow. Is the NCAA reopening the investigation, or is this the media whirlwind that precedes an investigation?

The investigation was closed, with UNC admitting to fraud in the AFAM department from 2006-2011. Last night PackPride discovered Julius Peppers' transcript through some insane errors by UNC and it showed Peppers failing out of school from 1998-2001 if not for the aid of AFAM classes.

Whatever. It was definitely in my top 5.

I didn't mean to make the point that one subject is more important than any other, my only point is that there is substantial evidence as far as North Carolina goes that they used the program for the past while to push athletes through. There is also evidence that a lot of the classes that Peppers "took" never existed beyond just having credits and then possibly turning in a paper. I don't doubt that this is a very rewarding class in the right environment, but I also don't believe that a lot of these courses are 180 out at UNC than they are at schools not using this field of study as a cover for an athlete's major.

I was speaking only about UNC in my post, I realize that it comes across as being more general than I intended for it to be.

it's a bullshit department in general, not just at unc

I think it's a pretty narrow focus for a dedicated department.

Please say that you made this up.

Sadly (or hilariously), I did not. The professor actually did a pretty good job of pretending (I hope) to take him seriously.

I do not provide this as an example of Wake giving an easy ride to athletes, as I took several classes where the athletes got grilled just as hard as the rest of us. I do, however, provide this as an example of CJ Leak's lack of intelligence. Maybe the towel around his neck compressed his spinal cord or blood flow to his head or something.

Last edited:
peppers basically took classes on "being black," and still got awful grades. maybe he's not black? i'm so confused.

This made me think of this:

Mexican Americans don't like to just get into gang fights,
they like flowers and music and white girls named Debbie too.

Mexican Americans are named Chata and Chella and Chima
and have a son in law named jeff.

Mexican Americans don't like to get up early in the morning
but they have to so they do it real slow.

Mexican Americans love education so they go to night school
and they take spanish and get a B.

Mexican Americans love their Nana's and their Nono's and their
Nena's and their Neno's........ Nano Nano Nena Nono!

Mexican Americans don't like to go to the movies where the
dude has to wear contact lenses to make his blue eyes brown
cause don't it make my brown eyes blue.....

"And thats all i got, how do ya like it?"

I actually rode the elevator with CJ a couple of months ago. He is a scout for the Bills now. I told him I was available if they needed a quarterback and he laughed and and said, "With things the way they are, I may have to call you."

how in the hell did you fit in an elevator with his cranium in tow?

Back