• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NOW Howland watch: UPDATE 3/20@ 10:30 new tweets

I think Howland would excite the fan base a great deal as well.

Yes, but not quite as much as Smart or Marshall would. I guess the point is Howland isn't that much of a savings assuming we're paying him in the $2+mil range. A mid major would be a significant savings.

As for my excitement should we hire Howland, I'll temper mine until I see what kind of staff he puts together because I see that as being more crucial with him than any of the other hires. If Howland were to bring in Moton as his chief assistant, for example, my excitement level would be through the roof - in the same range as Smart or Marshall. But if he brings in no names with no East Coast recruiting experience, I'll be concerned.

kowalczyk.jpg

Because this guy is in Toledo.

(played in MS last night though - I'm just messing, guys)

Why travel to fly from there instead of Dayton?

Didn't someone in green say that Ron was visiting a family member who was ill in Ohio? Toledo is right next to Bowling Green, pretty close to where Ron grew up, etc.

Could be his flight back to W-S

Giles' talents are best served in an open and running offensive style. Howland doesn't like that style.

We know Harry likes Wake. He likes us enough to come to games with [Redacted] as coach. If we can get a coach he will like to play for and bring his other buddies, we are in a much stronger position to go forward in the ACC.

By having the new coach hit the ground running, we can re-establish the program much quicker. I realize this concept is above the heads of DV7, Racer, WFUtoUSC, w84it and a few others, but it is a basic and logical idea.

Choosing a coach based on one recruit who would not arrive on campus for 2 more years is silly, but the premise that the top recruits like to run up and down the floor is not. That being said, Howland somehow (hopefully legally) convinced great players to play for him at UCLA. I'm not so sure his playing style will make that much of a difference in recruiting.

As far as Harry Giles in concerned, you're right, he does like Wake, as evidenced by his attendance at many Wake games (and not just the "big" games). While he would put up big numbers in a fast paced game, make no mistake, he will be a dominant force in whatever style of play his coach favors. He just needs to know that Wake is trying, and hiring a big name like Howland (or any other name that generates excitement in the program) would show that.

Howland looks like somebody but I can't quite place it. Two possibilities:

* There is a B-level actor about his age who usually plays a tough and the distinguishable feature is he's got like a screen graft the size of a half dollar on his temple or forehead

* The University of Georgia basketball coach from the 80s? The guy who coached Vern Fleming???

Gargamel?

Gargamel_(SA).gif

If we don't have a press release or statement from Wellman by the end of the week, it is just pure arrogance. Ron just completely trolling his paying customers. Ridiculous.

Not to mention that every week the loser remains on our payroll costs nearly $30,000.

Not sure you can say that without having seen the contract.

We know his yearly comp is $1.4+ million. It seems a pretty safe assumption that he's still being paid right now. Or are you insinuating that he's on some sort of modified pay schedule?

Bzzz should only have been paid based upon road conference wins- he'd be pan handling on Deacon Blvd by now if that was the case.

We know his yearly comp is $1.4+ million. It seems a pretty safe assumption that he's still being paid right now. Or are you insinuating that he's on some sort of modified pay schedule?

I wonder what the dates are in his calendar signifying the end of his 4th year and start of his 5th. Also, if he's fired mid contract year, he's likely paid in full for that year with some sort of discount for the remaining years. Our attorneys may be negotiating a lower buyout now. Who knows.

Yeah, for all we know year 5 might be fully gtd and anything we are paying him now just lessens the buyout. Or he's due an annual salary and the 4th year is fully vested and the year resets April 1 so firing now vs March 30th would mean same compensation for Bz etc etc lots of possibilities.

wtf is dan snyder our AD all of a sudden? what an asshole if he gave bz a 5-year guaranteed contract with that shit resume.

wtf is dan snyder our AD all of a sudden? what an asshole if he gave bz a 5-year guaranteed contract with that shit resume.

oh yeah almost surely not but I was just saying it is impossible to know if delaying the firing is costing Wake money w/o seeing the contract

I doubt the 5th year is fully guaranteed. Doesn't mean our attorneys aren't still trying to negotiate certain aspects of the buyout.

Back