• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2011 AL West Thread

rj=mj -- who is the higher regarded prospect: Ogando or Pineda?

Haha, shows how much I've paid attention... had no idea he was that old.

most people see ogando as a reliever, except for blind texas faithful who claim he has better stuff than neftali feliz.

also pineda is a top 20 prospect in baseball, although many are questioning the m's decision to start him with the big club.

Also where are all the statheads and media peeps sucking off jack z now. people acted like he was the second coming or something and it appears he's not that awesome. shocker!

most people see ogando as a reliever, except for blind texas faithful who claim he has better stuff than neftali feliz.
Those of us who watched 160+ Rangers games last year know that he has better secondary stuff than Feliz; at least, he did last year. Nefty was working on a third pitch in spring training this year. I don't remember Ogando doing so. Ogando was better equiped to be a starting pitcher in terms of "stuff" than Feliz was. It was Feliz's success with a cutter during spring training this year that changed his own mind from wanting to save to wanting to start. This has been widely accounted in the local papers.

That being said, with a 3rd pitch and considering his age, Feliz is the better long-term prospect to become a front-of-the-rotation starter. And anyway, Ogando is in the rotation at the moment because Brandon Webb isn't ready. Ogando auditioned in the spring but I don't believe he was seriously considered as a threat to join the rotation, absent injuries.

Ogando threw fastball slider over 95% of the time last year. it is absurd to say he has more pitches. Ogando also had trouble with lefties and worse control. All of your arguments about him being better prepared are wrong. A guy that has two pitches, walks more guys, and has platoon splits is not better prepared to be a starter.

Also where are all the statheads and media peeps sucking off jack z now. people acted like he was the second coming or something and it appears he's not that awesome. shocker!

Just you wait! He's a cookin' something up.

Ogando threw fastball slider over 95% of the time last year. it is absurd to say he has more pitches. Ogando also had trouble with lefties and worse control. All of your arguments about him being better prepared are wrong. A guy that has two pitches, walks more guys, and has platoon splits is not better prepared to be a starter.

Trouble with lefties? So fatty boy Cust might actually do something tonight?! Awesome.

I didn't say he had "more pitches," I said he had better secondary stuff. Again, I've actually watched the games, not just dug up stats.

I dont think you understand what secondary stuff is. All scouting reports on Neftali say that he has a plus power curveball. Also according to fangraphs that pitch rated as 2.40 runs above average per 100 pitches for his career and his changeup was -.34 run above average per 100 (so slightly below average). While Ogando's primary secondary pitch his slider was .18 runs above average per 100, and his changeup that he threw less than 5 percent of the time was .08 runs above average.

So from a numbers standpoint he has better stuff, also from a scouting standpoint he has better stuff, hence high prospect status and scouts ratings on curveball.

Look usually I am with you on watching over numbers but here you are just wrong on all accounts.

Rangers are 4-0 with 14 homers during that span. Although, Ron pointed out that they need to improve pitching and defense, basically alluding that offense can't win it all for them.

Back