• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Oscars Thread

it was a superlighthearted joke bc you posted it in this thread instead of the wakefanatic top 10 thread

i got no probs with you though our tastes don't overlap often #fuck808s
Yeah, I'm just trying to start conversation about some other nominees besides American Sniper

Imitation Game was good. Above average biopic. I don't think it touches A Beautiful Mind in terms of quality of acting or storytelling.

Finally got to see American Sniper this afternoon. It's not a bad movie, but damn, Eastwood always gets in the way of his films, and the whole time I kept thinking how much better this could have been with a competent director. Every time the movie seemed to be hitting an emotional point, he would cut the scene too early and move on to something else.

Eastwood's sort of like the Les Miles of directors; I always feel like LSU is good in spite of Les Miles, who always does dumb shit and somehow manages to get bailed out by his players. Bradley Cooper is pretty damn good though, I couldn't really argue with him winning best actor.

Boyhood was a good flick, but I still rank Budapest and Sniper above it.

Still obviously need to see the other ones but Budapest is looking like my personal favorite right now.

The first two reviews raised valid points but this one is just total bullshit.

It comes off as if he hates it because Eastwood is a conservative and he thinks it is a conservative movie.

I think the point on moral clarity is interesting because one of the lines in the movie that supports that position is nearly word for word what my brother said when he came home from Afghanistan so I don't think that it's just Eastwood's rah rah 'merica bullshit. I think that is how a lot of people actually feel.

I don't think the movie was political at all. Haven't read the book. Yes, Kyle has the noble warrior mindset, but that doesn't make a movie political. He's a soldier. Most soldiers have that mindset. And in the end, his rah rah 'Merica attitude is severely tested. One could argue that it was even broken. I mean, he definitely wasn't the same guy who signed up to be a SEAL, as Eastwood constantly reminded us unnecessarily through his wife's character.

And that's my only complaint about the movie. Cooper's acting and the story itself is good enough to drive home the theme of PTSD. It didn't need to be verbalized nearly as often as it was, if at all.

This will always be my favorite Oscar moment of all time when James Franco totally botches the pronunciation of this German dude and Seth Rogen starts laughing before he even finishes.

Has to be surreal for the Kyle sisters to go from the Red Carpet tonight to a Texas courtroom tomorrow.

The Rock got a surprisingly good seat, looked like 5th or 6th row

Back