• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Football Coaching Carousel

Get him on staff. In any way.
Offensive Analyst is probably all we have available right now, which I doubt he would be interested in. He will get something as a position coach this offseason. If he hadn’t burned that bridge with Saban he could be in line for the OC job at Bama.

Offensive Analyst is probably all we have available right now, which I doubt he would be interested in. He will get something as a position coach this offseason. If he hadn’t burned that bridge with Saban he could be in line for the OC job at Bama.

You realize he just got fired from an OC job, right ?

You realize he just got fired from an OC job, right ?
And he is 2 years removed from winning the Broyles award. Saban has never had an issue bringing in someone who needed a rehab and who knew his system, but Gattis is persona non grata at Alabama based on how he left.

Brian Van Gorder lived off his Broyles award for 15 years before people realized he sucked. Gattis will have some decent offers still.

My Miami guy who has been all over this said that they gave Gattis time to find another job. That's why it took so long to fire him.

My Miami guy who has been all over this said that they gave Gattis time to find another job. That's why it took so long to fire him.
So either Gattis didn’t get the offers he wanted or there ain’t much out there

I'm not sure how much there is out there. I don't remember many teams just hiring OCs from the outside.

I think his best bet has been trying to get a G5 job and working his way up. I hope Clawson would welcome him as an analyst though.

Gattis may have made some missteps in my opinion. He probably would have been up for a pretty good FBS job this season if he had stayed at Michigan for another season.

But, Cristobal is in danger of turning this whole Miami thing into an absolute dumpster fire fueled by NIL money.

I'm not sure how much there is out there. I don't remember many teams just hiring OCs from the outside.

I think his best bet has been trying to get a G5 job and working his way up. I hope Clawson would welcome him as an analyst though.
There are still a bunch of OC positions open: FBS OC Changes like Cinn, Maryland, and USF

Could see Locksley hiring Gattis at MD, both worked under Saban. Wonder if Saban's ire toward Gattis is to the point that he would tell others that worked under him (Locksley) to not hire him.

Could see Locksley hiring Gattis at MD, both worked under Saban. Wonder if Saban's ire toward Gattis is to the point that he would tell others that worked under him (Locksley) to not hire him.

Gattis worked under Locksley at Alabama. They've had public spats, post-Bama, about each other's contributions. I would be SHOCKED if Gattis winds up on Locksley's staff.

There are still a bunch of OC positions open: FBS OC Changes like Cinn, Maryland, and USF
I could see Gattis doing a year as analyst while job hunting. Burning bridges in the coaching world is not good. And it appears Gattis has done so with at least two very prominent football programs.

James Laurinaitis was a grad assitant at ND last season and will be a grad assistant at tOSU, his alma mater, this coming season. I only mention this because you will hear his name 20 times an hour if you try to watch a boring ass Ohio State game (with bad field goal kicking) this coming season.

BTW, he was the fourth LB taken in the 2009 draft, which is the same draft as Aaron Curry (Seahawks Asst DL/DE Coach), Brian Cushing, and Clay Matthews III (GB Packers All-time leading QB Sack Leader, just retired September 2022).

Last edited:
James Laurinaitis was a grad assitant at ND last season and will be a grad assistant at tOSU, his alma mater, this coming season. I only mention this because you will hear his name 20 times an hour if you try to watch a boring ass Ohio State game (with bad field goal kicking) this coming season.

BTW, he was the fourth LB taken in the 2009 draft, which is the same draft as Aaron Curry (Seahawks Asst DL/DE Coach), Brian Cushing, and Clay Matthews III (GB Packers All-time leading QB Sack Leader, just retired September 2022).
Such a shame that James didn't get into the family business

Back