• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Football Coaching Carousel

67-26 (43-18) at Wisconsin. Jim Leonhard is the interim coach. He was a star safety at Wisconsin in the early 00s.

Do we have any concerns about Clawson there?
I think they will certainly reach out to see if there is any interest. Since he didnt leave last year with all the interest, I am not sure what would make him take off.

67-26 (43-18) at Wisconsin. Jim Leonhard is the interim coach. He was a star safety at Wisconsin in the early 00s.
They arent great this year but are only two years removed from a Rose Bowl appearance!

Feels like they're trying to avoid being the next Nebraska by pulling a Nebraska. This feels like when the Huskers fired Solich and Pelini.

Clawson keeps it up and he will have a statue outside of Groves and retire one of the greatest ACC coaches in history and make millions in the process.

I just don't see the incentive to leave. Clawson loves being at Wake.

Clawson keeps it up and he will have a statue outside of Groves and retire one of the greatest ACC coaches in history and make millions in the process.

I just don't see the incentive to leave. Clawson loves being at Wake.
I agree. It’s a lazy national media take that keeps occurring though.

Clawson hasn't shown up on any of the Nebraska lists I've seen. I think signing the extension after last year's run will tamp down the Clawson moving on rumors for a little while.

Nebraska has sunk so low that it’s beneath Clawson now. But Wisconsin should be a good job.

Wisconsin fires Paul Cryst. DC Jim Leonhard named interim HC. Leonhard is loved in Wisconsin, guessing he becomes the permanent HC.

Cryst’s tenure fell apart quickly.

Clawson hasn't shown up on any of the Nebraska lists I've seen. I think signing the extension after last year's run will tamp down the Clawson moving on rumors for a little while.
That’s because the restaurant scene in Lincoln is trash. However, Madison has L’Etoile which may make the position intriguing to Clawson.

Seems like Jim Leonhard is the obvious choice to take over as HC assuming he does ok the rest of the season, but maybe they saw Nebraska trending for Liepold and wanted to not miss out on him because he is a legend in Wisconsin taking Wisconsin-Whitewater to 6 D3 National Championships in 8 years.

I don't trust a Culver's not in the Midwest. Too far away from its ancestral roots to be treated with the respect it deserves. That said, Goodberry's>Culver's when it comes to frozen custard. Shame there isn't one in the Triad.

Clawson's name has been thrown around on the Wisconsin boards, but the focus is on three candidates:

1) Jim Leonhard - As stated above, he is a a legend in Wisconsin. Born and raised in the state, he walked-on at Wisconsin and Leonhard wound up a three time all-Big 10 and three time all-American safety and left the school as the conference's all-time leader in punt return yardage. After an 11 year NFL career, Leonhard returned to Madison, first as a DB coach, and then as defensive coordinator. Wisconsin's defenses have been stout, he was Broyles finalist as the best assistant in college football. Wisconsin HC is his dream job. If Wisconsin, plays solid football for the balance of the season, it's Leonhard's job.

2) Lance Leipold - Another guy born and raised in Wisconsin. Played QB for D3 Wisconsin-Whitewater, then became an assistant and ultimately HC at his alma mater, where he won SIX national championships. Leipold left W-W for Buffalo, where he coached for six seasons, leading the Bulls to bowl games each of his last 3 seasons and two MAC East Division titles. After KS was forced to dump Les Miles and with the program in complete disarray, Leipold has led KS to the first national ranking in 14 years and ESPN Gameday is headed to Lawrence for the first time ever for this weekend's showdown against unbeaten TCU.

3) Dave Aranda - Aranda was Wisconsin's DC for 3 seasons before LSU made Aranda an offer he could not refuse (LSU made Aranda the highest paid assistant in college football). Aranda parlayed the LSU DC job to getting the HC job at Baylor, where he won the Big 12 title in his second year. Wisconsin would need to use the Big 10 TV contract money to outbid Baylor for Aranda as Baylor gave Aranda a big pay raise and extended him through 2029 after last season's conference title.

Don't see Wisconsin targeting Clawson.

Back