• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

The number one issue going into next year is the port mess. Failure to alleviate that before it cascades into further downstream economic effects will be disastrous for the midterm election. It's directly tied to 3 of the poll issues shown above: Inflation, National Security, and the Economy.

Unfortunately we haven't even begun to feel the inflationary pain yet. Fertilizer prices have gone up more than 3x this year, and we haven't fully seen the massive spike in crop prices coming with it yet.

There's more to it though. Youngkin is pretty good at being everything to everyone. His CRT banter gets headlines and it feeds the rally people and psycho Trumpers. But there are folks that don't buy into all that nonsense but also are voting for him and they're not all racist morons. It's a lot like when, at the beginning of COVID you started seeing "open the schools" signs in yards, mostly by far-right folks. And sentiment was overwhelmingly negative to start towards them. But then a lot of bad shit happened with teachers unions and school openings, moving goalposts, etc. that made more and more of those signs start popping up, and even pretty liberal people were like ehhhh yeah this is getting ridiculous open the damn schools or at least have a consistent or clear plan and messaging.

CRT may not be a true wedge issues in the middle, but trusting how education is handled - particularly how transparent leadership is and whether they listen to outside reason - definitely is. Sure the McAuliffe sound bite about parents not having a say in education is out of context, but it's not enough out of context given the past year. And education is one of those issues that everyone will instantly prioritize because so many kids are in elite public schools. It goes right to the top, not taxes or Trump or inflation or whatever.

So here we are in a coin flip that the weather might decide even though Trump lost by 10 here. Crazy.

Sorry, if this was already posted, but CRT isn't offered in VA public schools. So, Youngkin leaned on a non-issue for the Virginia electorate to simply scare people into voting for Youngkin - who tries to portray himself as a Centrist Republican, while still trying to cultivate the Trump fringe. FWIW, I'm a VA voter, and have a sinking feeling about this election. It's essentially a mid-term election with a Democrat in the White House and enough fence-sitters are being duped into thinking that the country is headed toward a communist republic run by extreme feminists, the LGBTQ community and anti-police anarchists that they think voting for a "moderate" Republican will stem the left leaning tide.

Youngkin sent his kids to private schools (Gonzaga), and he will angle hard to reduce public school funding and into charter schools, which leave the least fortunate behind.

Sorry, if this was already posted, but CRT isn't offered in VA public schools. So, Youngkin leaned on a non-issue for the Virginia electorate to simply scare people into voting for Youngkin - who tries to portray himself as a Centrist Republican, while still trying to cultivate the Trump fringe. FWIW, I'm a VA voter, and have a sinking feeling about this election. It's essentially a mid-term election with a Democrat in the White House and enough fence-sitters are being duped into thinking that the country is headed toward a communist republic run by extreme feminists, the LGBTQ community and anti-police anarchists that they think voting for a "moderate" Republican will stem the left leaning tide.

Youngkin sent his kids to private schools (Gonzaga), and he will angle hard to reduce public school funding and into charter schools, which leave the least fortunate behind.

If Youngkin wins then the GOP will see it as a total vindication of their decision to hammer on the Anti-CRT in schools issue, and in 2022 it will be all CRT, all the time in pretty much every state. Public schools are going to get hammered, and I expect that our teacher shortage is going to get much, much worse as many teachers just leave the system and fewer and fewer people will opt to become teachers to replace them. And that all plays into GOP hands, as they can point to our failing public schools and divert even more money to charters, vouchers, etc. They've found their new "grassroots" issue, and they'll ride it for all its worth. And it's likely that Democrats will, as usual, have no clear response or counter message.

Fine, let them think that. It's missing the point.

To win, Youngkin needed Biden voters to vote for him. Those are not the voters getting sucked in by CRT. That is the meat he tossed to the base who was voting for him anyway. But it suckered McAuliffe into speaking out against parental involvement in their kids education. Frankly, it was a mistake made by a lackadaisical campaign, from the error to the cleanup. And it might cost him the election. Just that one thing, end of story.

It could have been extremely effective to call out CRT as a non-issue, agree that it shouldn't be taught to young kids and support parents and their right to impact educational choices. But instead McAuliffe fell into that trap of over-catering to the far left perhaps, or maybe just not taking Youngkin seriously, I don't know. But if he loses it's because he tried to just sidestep the many educational issues that were absolutely real, and just yell Trump Trump Trump for the past 2 weeks.

Newsflash - a few months ago like half the country voted for Trump. He's not the magic poison the left thinks he is. That's the reality.

Fine, let them think that. It's missing the point.

To win, Youngkin needed Biden voters to vote for him. Those are not the voters getting sucked in by CRT. That is the meat he tossed to the base who was voting for him anyway. But it suckered McAuliffe into speaking out against parental involvement in their kids education. Frankly, it was a mistake made by a lackadaisical campaign, from the error to the cleanup. And it might cost him the election. Just that one thing, end of story.

It could have been extremely effective to call out CRT as a non-issue, agree that it shouldn't be taught to young kids and support parents and their right to impact educational choices. But instead McAuliffe fell into that trap of over-catering to the far left perhaps, or maybe just not taking Youngkin seriously, I don't know. But if he loses it's because he tried to just sidestep the many educational issues that were absolutely real, and just yell Trump Trump Trump for the past 2 weeks.

Newsflash - a few months ago like half the country voted for Trump. He's not the magic poison the left thinks he is. That's the reality.

Agreed. Dems should just state, "I too agree that CRT shouldn't be taught to young children." End of story. It's not taught to young kids, so there is little reason to go into the nuances of CRT, what it is, and who it is taught to. Just make it a non-issue.

Last edited:
.. half the country voted for Trump. He's not the magic poison the left thinks he is.

Don’t know what “left” you are castigating here but the left”, as i’m familiar with it, is perfectly aware of how popular Trump is. We’re the ones who have been warning you moderate Dems for years now not to expect an anti-Trump revolt among “moderate” Republicans

Don’t know what “left” you are castigating here but the left”, as i’m familiar with it, is perfectly aware of how popular Trump is. We’re the ones who have been warning you moderate Dems for years now not to expect an anti-Trump revolt among “moderate” Republicans
Enough voted for Biden to win and going far left is a guaranteed crushing loss.

Agreed. Dems should just state, "I too agree that CRT shouldn't be taught to young children." End of story. It's not taught to young kids, so there is little reason to go into the nuances of CRT, what it is, and who it is taught to. Just make it a non-issue.

So what should Dems do when Republicans are banning books by Black authors about Black children or passing laws preventing teachers from teaching about Ruby Bridges and Rosa Parks? Democrats need to take a firm anti-racism stance. They can’t get away with doing nothing.

Do you live in some alternate planet where Biden isn't President? Don't expect an anti-Trump revolt... like, say, winning the House and Senate along with the Presidency? Winning in Georgia on the backs of moderates? Can't get enough of progressives lecturing moderate dems about how they're just not liberal enough - when they lost the critical races and the moderates won them.

Do you live in some alternate planet where Biden isn't President? Don't expect an anti-Trump revolt... like, say, winning the House and Senate along with the Presidency.

lol Biden won an absolute squeaker on the strength of black metro Atlanta voters and congressional Democratic candidates got washed all over the rural country, but what’s new about moderate middle class whites taking political credit for black votes. Anyway, my problem is really that you can’t help but speak out of both sides of your mouth - Trump is popular when his popularity suits your argument and he’s unpopular when his unpopularity suits your argument. You can keep your self congratulating opinions for all I care, just try and stop confusing liberals for leftists - we aren’t the same.

Last edited:
Dave Wasserman says it's going to be close and it will take awhile.

lol Biden won an absolute squeaker on the strength of black metro Atlanta voters and congressional Democratic candidates got washed all over the rural country, but what’s new about moderate middle class whites taking political credit for black votes. Anyway, my problem is really that you can’t help but speak out of both sides of your mouth - Trump is popular when his popularity suits your argument and he’s unpopular when his unpopularity suits your argument. You can keep your self congratulating opinions for all I care, just try and stop confusing liberals for leftists - we aren’t the same.

Woof. This is embarrassing for you. I'll just let you hang out with your Georgia expertise on that nonsense and have a great night.

It’s not. It’s legal theory.

CRT is. “CRT” isn’t.

Think about it, Rafi. Why are they going after school boards instead of law schools?

So what should Dems do when Republicans are banning books by Black authors about Black children or passing laws preventing teachers from teaching about Ruby Bridges and Rosa Parks? Democrats need to take a firm anti-racism stance. They can’t get away with doing nothing.

I agree. I think the message should be:

- I agree that CRT should not be taught in schools
- Furthermore, this is potato head politics because CRT is not taught in schools
- But most importantly, my opponent and other Republicans are trying to use this non issue to ban books by Black authors, which I am completely against.

CRT is. “CRT” isn’t.

Think about it, Rafi. Why are they going after school boards instead of law schools?

Exactly. That’s why the most effective approach is to say “I too am against CRT.” It’s all about messaging, and this messaging would make CRT a non issue.

Exactly. That’s why the most effective approach is to say “I too am against CRT.” It’s all about messaging, and this messaging would make CRT a non issue.

That comes off like “I also do not want to defund the police.”

Dems need to play offense, not defense.

Back