• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

This is correct, I believe. Memorial Coliseum was as described, though the smoke hanging in the rafters (and upper level seats) would not be a problem today since smoking would not be allowed inside. Primary reason for moving was that the lighting made TV very difficult in Memorial Coliseum. It was an old building in 1981.
We played several years in Greensboro. It was awful and contributed to the terrible Bob Staak years (see HGIHW for all of you older posters). Moving from Joel without a Winston-Salem alternative would be a massive mistake.
I went to many games at the old Memorial Coliseum. When I was 12 I saved up my money and bought a season ticket for just the games in WS. I was sitting right on the first row behind the basket. That was a fun team. Young, Rudd, Toms, Rogers and Teachey were the starters with Kenny Green coming off the bench as a freshman. Had an up and down year. Kind of fell apart at the end of the regular season but then rebounded to make the Final Four of the NIT. Put it all together the next year and made the Elite 8.

My very first WF bball game was in Memorial - against UVA and Jeff Lamp. We were two rows from the top and it was tough to see but I will always remember the sheer thrill of being there after years of Sailing with the Pilot on TV.

And I was one of those who trekked to G'boro night in and night out for bball games, through rain, sleet, ice and everything else. That was a mess but it could never happen again.

My very first WF bball game was in Memorial - against UVA and Jeff Lamp. We were two rows from the top and it was tough to see but I will always remember the sheer thrill of being there after years of Sailing with the Pilot on TV.

And I was one of those who trekked to G'boro night in and night out for bball games, through rain, sleet, ice and everything else. That was a mess but it could never happen again.
Didn't we have a game canceled or moved to GSO due to the Polar Twins rink causing our floor to buckle?

Good times.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I've never really understood the argument that the Joel is too far from campus when at lots of bigger schools you have to walk a lot farther from the dorms to get to the "on campus" arena. We do need better pedestrian access from main campus to Reynolds Blvd--seems like an elevated sidewalk over Univ would be fairly cheap and do the trick--and from there you can just hang a right at Groves and cut through the tunnel under Deacon Blvd.

I mean walking access from campus to the Joel really only helps students get there, and IMO student attendance isn't really a major problem. When the team is good, students do as good a job of showing up as I think we can reasonably expect given the size and makeup of the school.

I mean walking access from campus to the Joel really only helps students get there, and IMO student attendance isn't really a major problem. When the team is good, students do as good a job of showing up as I think we can reasonably expect given the size and makeup of the school.
Well, a pedestrian bridge would also help access from Putters, right?

Also I really doubt students would opt to walk when they can get a bus to take them right to the door.

Also I really doubt students would opt to walk when they can get a bus to take them right to the door.
Or just take the car parked right outside your dorm and drive there. I drove to pretty much all of the basketball games I went to as a student and just parked for free near the football stadium. I'm sure I wasn't supposed to be doing that, but lots of students did

Or just take the car parked right outside your dorm and drive there. I drove to pretty much all of the basketball games I went to as a student and just parked for free near the football stadium. I'm sure I wasn't supposed to be doing that, but lots of students did
They bus like crazy now, and students are used to using the shuttles to get to the IQ campus, shopping, etc.

Back