• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 ACC Tournament Discussion Thread

It's hard to get invested in this game knowing Duke will win by 2-4 in a questionable fashion.

do you calculate out the percentage for total wins or just go with 20 as close enough?
Twenty generally works. Ideally, conference tourneys could influence whether a team qualifies. Teams on that bubble are easily identified and will know what is required to qualify.

FWIW, Lunardi has nine B1G teams in the Dance and the ACC has five. Over the course of the season there has been 23 games between those two conferences. The ACC has won 12 to the B1G 11 wins. The SEC has eight teams in the tourney. The SEC has a 6-3 edge head to head vs. the ACC.

From my perspective Lunardi serves ESPN to shape public opinion to sell the teams that benefit ESPN. I expect that the committee to decide who is included in the tournament will show a bias that benefits the SEC and the B1G. The NCAA benefits from their inclusion to keep them from leaving the NCAA. It's all about the money and to think otherwise is just plain stupid.

If Lunardi really was biased toward ESPN's best interests, he'd certainly pump up the ACC over the B1G, who ESPN will soon not have a business relationship with

He also had us safely in the field last year within days of the field being announced. Since he does this constantly he's slow to adjust his priors.

Zero chance State isn't in his last 8 teams in come Sunday, unless he has them out
State now one of Lunardi's last four in...

If Lunardi really was biased toward ESPN's best interests, he'd certainly pump up the ACC over the B1G, who ESPN will soon not have a business relationship with
Yeah like how Gameday shoulda told the B1G to fuck off but damn if they didn’t keep going to those stupid games.

ACC definitely isn't getting six teams in.

Gotta believe at least one of Pitt/State/Clemson dances, so that's 4.

Will it get 5? Seems like a toss-up to me depending on what other bubble teams do, if UAB wins tomorrow, etc.

Think it’s not a huge thing, but after Forbes brought it up last year, it stands out with Bilas doing these games that there is very little pumping up or promoting of the ACC. He and Shulman, both of whom I like fine enough, too busy doing their smug half-comedy duo act, cracking each other up with in-jokes rather than talking ball. They are sometimes indirectly presented with a general concept of the ACC being down and just kind of accept it, rather than question/challenge it.

I don’t think they need to go full cheerleader or anything, but just make it seem like you are watching and enjoying a high level basketball game/conference tourney.

Think it’s not a huge thing, but after Forbes brought it up last year, it stands out with Bilas doing these games that there is very little pumping up or promoting of the ACC. He and Shulman, both of whom I like fine enough, too busy doing their smug half-comedy duo act, cracking each other up with in-jokes rather than talking ball. They are sometimes indirectly presented with a general concept of the ACC being down and just kind of accept it, rather than question/challenge it.

I don’t think they need to go full cheerleader or anything, but just make it seem like you are watching and enjoying a high level basketball game/conference tourney.
I was watching one of the ACC tournament games where they showed the teams warming up in the tunnel and the announcer literally compared it to an AAU tournament

I'm more worried about the ACC needing to step it up or else those two are gonna get sent elsewhere -- does kinda seem silly when they could be @ the Big 12 tourney especially.

And TBF Bilas was doing plenty of advocacy for Clemson making the tourney, though that is more a standard theme with him where he'll hype up the team whose game he is covering (and not mention who the teams are that they should get in instead of)

I was watching one of the ACC tournament games where they showed the teams warming up in the tunnel and the announcer literally compared it to an AAU tournament

Cory Alexander. Who also said Cuse-GTown back in the day was a better rivalry than Duke-UNC.

After watching Laphonso Ellis in studio, I've wondered if he wouldn't be a better choice for color analyst than Corey Alexander. Cue the "anybody would." But my point is maybe Ellis is being underused, enthusiastic and clearly knows basketball.

The ACC is definitely down. They're 7th in KP conference ratings and 9th in Torvik's.

Duke is the only top 30 team in KP from the ACC, UVA is also top 30 in Torvik.

After watching Laphonso Ellis in studio, I've wondered if he wouldn't be a better choice for color analyst than Corey Alexander. Cue the "anybody would." But my point is maybe Ellis is being underused, enthusiastic and clearly knows basketball.
ran into him (literally) at the hotel the other night. energetic and nice dude. his persona on tv is what he is. always smiling. i hated it - lol.

Back